Any salad suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite salad (btw - I keep all ingredients chopped/sliced/or otherwise ready to go)

baby lettuce greens
    cucumber sliced into half-moons
    yellow summer squash sliced into half moons
    thinly sliced red onion (rings chopped into quarters)
    sprouts (alfalfa, bean, broccoli - whatever kind is great)
    grated carrot
    halved grape tomatoes
    red pepper slices
    pumpkin seeds
    and sometimes homemade croutons made with crushed garlic, salt,and cayenne pepper

dressing in olive oil, lemon, salt, and pepper

Another fav salad of mine in a classic french salad called salad Lyonnaise here's the link: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/poached_egg_and_bacon_salad_-_salad_lyonnaise/
    It consists of salad, bacon, croutons, a poached egg, and mustard dressing. total awesomeness
  • gleechick609
    Options
    My favorite is 1 cup of romaine, 1 cup of mixed leaf, 1 cup of spinnach. 3-4 oz of baked/grilled chicken or tuna fish salad (yes, made with mayo), 1 oz cut up cheese, 1 tablespoon of dried cranberries with oil and red wine vinegar.
  • Fitconfidence
    Options
    ALL of these salads sound really good. I'm some what of a picky eater and not to mention lactose-intolerant so maybe skip the cheese and tuna, but everything else sounds good.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    ooooh! Another one!! (fancy again but sex on a place in my opinion)

salad greens
    torn up prosciutto
    chunks of fresh mozarella
    1 peach, cubed

dressing is olive oil, lemon, salt, and crushed red pepper.

You MUST try this at least once. You must!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Dried cherries. Grapes. Pumpkin seeds. Really, anything you like.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I love a mexican style salad. Black beans, Corn, Pico De Gallo, Avocado, Bell Peppers, Onion, Green onions, A little light shredded cheddar.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I switch my regular lettuce up with Field Greens and mix in a little baby spinach. I also buy the pre-cooked frozen shrimp and add that in with a little chopped egg white, red cabbage and on occasions sliced mushrooms. Also, I buy the fresh chicken tenders and do an oven fried chicken and put that on my salad sometimes. It reminds of the salads with fried chicken tenders that are so unhealthy. Try changing up your salad dressings too, that might help.
  • Fitconfidence
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm really taking some of these ideas to the kitchen for my salad.
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have two/three favourite salads.

I'm getting excited for the season because all the ingredients for one are starting to crop up...it's my usual Christmas salad, because it is bright and cheerful and vividly coloured. I toss mandarin orange slices and pomegranate seeds in with spinach, and add some chopped candied pecans (you can skip the pecans if you're watching those sorts of things, or add them plain rather than candied). I usually serve it with a raspberry vinaigrette, but you could use a different type if you wanted--I would definitely say vinaigrette rather than salad dressing, though, because the salad will be sweet enough as it is, you want to add some tartness rather than anything creamy.

For my lunches at work, I'll often take a spinach salad with carrots and diced apple, and maybe a few slivered almonds. I make my own dressing for that:
    White Satin - Granulated White Sugar, 6 teaspoon
    Oil - Olive, 0.25 cup
    Heinz - Distilled White Vinegar, 2 tbsp
    Parsley - Freeze-dried, 1 tbsp
    Sauce - Pepper, tabasco, 0.25 tsp

(this makes WAY more than you need for a single salad, but it'll keep in the fridge--just make sure you stir it well before pouring, because the sugar will separate out).

I also use that dressing for a spinach salad with oranges, celery, green onion and slivered almonds.

Oh! And in the summer months, I love spinach with watermelon or strawberries and crumbled feta cheeese, again with a raspberry vinaigrette. It's sweet and refreshing. :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My go to salad right now is baby spinach, strawberries, goat cheese and nuts, usually pecans or walnuts with Litehouse Organic Balsmaic Vinaigrette.
    I will try a few of these suggestions, they sound pretty good.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My salad consists of

Iceberg lettuce
    Cucumbers
    Carrots
    Black Beans
    Corn
    Lite Italian Dressing
    Hard Boiled Egg (cut up)

The black beans make it heartier so I feel fuller then with just the lettuce and other veggies.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    this weekend i'm going to roast some beets, grill some peaches, make a balsamic vinagrette, get some greens and pecans or walnuts and sprinkle on a little goat cheese and DEVOUR!!!!!

mmmmmmmmmm
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with some of the lettuce mixes, too.....so I like plain old iceberg lettuce (not chopped up already), spinach leaves, sometimes the broccoli slaw or sprouts, roma tomato, raw cauliflower (one of my favorite things to eat on salad).

I also like crunch, and have found the tortilla strips or any lower fat/lower calorie crunchy to be a nice topping. I used to LOVE adding those sesame sticks, but they are loaded with fat and calories :(

For a bit a protein - a hard-boiled egg or low-fat ham chunks, maybe a cut-up piece of chicken breast. I don't like Tuna on my salads.............

I insist on having dressing on my salad, and like a combo of fat-free french and light blue cheese. Mmmmmmmmm.
  • hoop77
    hoop77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Kraft Salad Expressions are wonderful.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    also roasted pears, reduced balsamic vinagrette, arugula and spiced pecans are good, pairs well with goat cheese

spinach pairs well with strawberries

arugula is spicy so you can pair that with something sweet like peaches , pears, strawberries....

simple vinagretes are good and healthier, applie cider is SOOO GOOD for you in dresssing, Mrs. Bragg's apple cider vinagrette is AMAZING..i would always get spinach, greens, shredded beets, carrots, red onion, feta cheese, cherry tomatoes with the dressing...SOOO GOOD..
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    We like to add some of the following at times to spice up our salads:

Red/Yellow/Orange Peppers
    Peppadeux peppers (these are sweet and hot and yummy)
    Montchevre Goat Cheese (I especially like the one with basil and onion)
    cucumbers
    sundried tomatoes (not in oil)
    mushrooms

We also like to get the salad mixes that are baby mix as they are more tender and tasty. I like one that is a baby herb spring mix, my husband does not.

Good luck!
  • ellisalockwood
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so salads are a staple for me, I love rasberry vinaigrette over spinach and strawberries, so simple, so good throw some mandarin oranges in there too. I alos buy salad confetti at walmart, it's cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and radishes choped up into little pieces, gives a salad more crunch and it's delish. Pinto beans or black beans with change your salad drastically into a completely different meal. We make a pot of beans at least once a week and I just freeze small portions and take them out when I might want one later in the day.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    iceberg, cut up apple, craisins, and a little dressing.
  • adsandve
    adsandve Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My favorite right now is:

lettuce
    dried cranberries
    sunflower seeds
    red onion
    tomatos
    chicken (fried) with kraft expression on it (cant think of the name as of rigth now, but it goes with the dressing)
    cheese stick cut up
    and the thai vinaigrette.