Losing 20 in your 20's! (CLOSED)

Options

Replies

• thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I hope you ladies don't mind me peeking in here, but I had to come check up and see how everyone was doing!!! It's 2 weeks until Thanksgiving... so how far is everyone from their goal?? I have managed to gain too much already this pregnancy :-/ but when the nausea was so strong, only unhealthy, carb-filled foods sounded good. So, that's what I ate. Now I'm feeling better and am going to be able to better manage my gain! Anyway, I hope you all are going to meet your goals! I'm so proud of you for sticking it out!!!
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I hope you ladies don't mind me peeking in here, but I had to come check up and see how everyone was doing!!! It's 2 weeks until Thanksgiving... so how far is everyone from their goal?? I have managed to gain too much already this pregnancy :-/ but when the nausea was so strong, only unhealthy, carb-filled foods sounded good. So, that's what I ate. Now I'm feeling better and am going to be able to better manage my gain! Anyway, I hope you all are going to meet your goals! I'm so proud of you for sticking it out!!!

I for one LOVE that you are peeking in! it shows that you are still focused around being healthy right now, and I plan to be here waiting on you once you have the baby and are ready to get the pregnancy weight off!!!!!!!!
  • cmiles23
    Options
    WEIGH IN TOMORROW LADIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DRINK DRINK DRINK THAT WATER!!!!!!!!! ON MONDAY I WAS DOWN 2LBS FROM THURSDAYS WEIGH IN BUT NOW IT IS THE LOVELY TOM FOR ME SO I DOUBT ILL BE DOWN 2LBS BY TOMORROW BUT IM STILL SUPER HAPPY.

CHALLENGE FOR TODAY........... DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I PLAN TO DRINK 125 OUNCES SINCE I AM ROUGHLY 125LBS....... GOOD LUCK LADIES!!!!!!!
  • Nikki881
    Nikki881 Posts: 203
    Options
    If you really wanna be American, you gotta deep fry it! :tongue:

Haha, in that case, perhaps I'll stay Canadian :tongue:
  • cmiles23
    Options

im american and i DO NOT like deep fried turkey, i think it is disgusting
  • Nikki881
    Options

im american and i DO NOT like deep fried turkey, i think it is disgusting

I've had it before, it's nothing special. I like my home-cooked-roasted goodness =)
  • misslouisee
    misslouisee Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    am I the only English one here? I don't know what thanksgiving really is? Do you have a Christmas dinner?
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Maintained this week. Blast.

Better than a gain I suppose!
  • mummyv811
    Options
    I will log tomorrow! I have not disappeared!!! :laugh:

misslouisee I am also English.... all I know about Thanksgiving is there is an American Football game and lots of yams and sweet potato! (Sorry Americans.... I realise that's very stereotypical - I am willing to learn more too so please explain :smile: )

Well done cathcakey! Much better than a gain....... I'm pretty sure I have gained this week but I will find out tomorrow! However, I have been on holiday (I know that is not a very good excuse) but I went to Iceland and HAD to sample to local delicacies! :happy:

Good luck to everyone else this week! :flowerforyou:
  • Nikki881
    Options
    Sorry Apples, I'm up again this week! It's been the SAME pound for a month!!! It's really starting to discourage me, but I'm trying to get past it..... ugh!

Good luck to everyone today!!! =)
  • misslouisee
    Options
    I'm so pleased I've lost some! Need to get this butt smaller before Christmas lol
    This weekend has lots of downfalls starting tonight though;
    Tonight going to restaurant for brothers birthday. Tomorrow, work drinks and pizza in town! Saturday, meeting up with old friend not seen in ages, hitting the town.... HELP!????
  • cmiles23
    Options
    I'm so pleased I've lost some! Need to get this butt smaller before Christmas lol
    Tonight going to restaurant for brothers birthday. Tomorrow, work drinks and pizza in town! Saturday, meeting up with old friend not seen in ages, hitting the town.... HELP!????

I would eat something before you go out that way you wont be as hungry so you will eat a smaller portion of the bad meal.-OR- just enjoy it and get back on track!
  • misslouisee
    Options

I would eat something before you go out that way you wont be as hungry so you will eat a smaller portion of the bad meal.-OR- just enjoy it and get back on track!

Thanks, this sounds wise! I do eat healthy snacks regularly but I will make sure I'm not STARVING before going lol I'm also going to exercise this afternoon to burn plenty. Have to keep the alcohol to a minimum I'm afraid. :(
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello to our neighbors across the pond!

Thanksgiving is a holiday that is said to have begun with the very first Pilgrims in Plymouth, Massachusetts. It was a celebration of their first successful harvest to which the Wampanoag Native Americans were invited as they taught the new immigrants how to plant and fish for native plants and animals. There is some actual historical contention about where and when the actual first harvest was and took place, but this is the one we teach our school children.

From a current history perspective I shall defer to Wikipedia for the dates and such:
    "Thanksgiving in the United States, much like in Canada, was observed on various dates throughout history. The dates of Thanksgiving in the era of the Founding Fathers until the time of Lincoln had been decided by each state on various dates. The first Thanksgiving celebrated on the same date by all states was in 1863 by presidential proclamation. The final Thursday in November had become the customary date of Thanksgiving in most U.S. states by the beginning of the 20th century. And so, in an effort by President Abraham Lincoln (influenced by the campaigning of author Sarah Josepha Hale) to foster a sense of American unity between the Northern and Southern states, proclaimed the date to be the final Thursday in November.[15]

It was not until December 26, 1941, that the unified date changed to the fourth Thursday (and not always final) in November -this time by federal legislation. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, after two years earlier offering his own proclamation to move the date earlier, with the reason of giving the country an economic boost, agreed to sign a bill into law with Congress, making Thanksgiving a national holiday on the fourth (not final) Thursday in November."

As far as modern times goes. Thanksgiving is a time to remember what you're thankful for in your life and year. It is a time for family togetherness AND YES an American-rules Football game AND excess food.

The food. A typical, but by no means comprehensive list of foods at Thanksgiving in the U.S. are, in fact, food that would typically come from a fall harvest: Turkey, Turkey gravy, stuffing (a combination of broth, breadcrumbs, poss. some sort of dried fruits or nuts--stuffed inside the Turkey and baked inside (or in a small dish) and served on the side), mashed potatoes, baked "yams" (american sweet potatoes), cranberry jelly, usually some sort of steamed vegetable on the side (corn, green beans or carrots), bread rolls...Dessert usually a Pumpkin or Sweet Potato or Apple pie and something terrible made from Jello. There is also usually a lot of buffet style snack food type things out before the meal, black olives, vegetables with dip, chips (crisps for you folks), possibly deviled eggs (hard boiled eggs, halved, the yolks removed whipped and spiced and then put back in the whites on a tray).

Most (though not my current employers...) give not just the Thursday of Thanksgiving off, but also the Friday after that, making for a four day weekend. The Friday after Thanksgiving day is considered to be the official first day of the Christmas holiday (shopping) season and is referred to as "Black Friday" because most stores have massive sales that day and retailers rely on that day to bring their accounts out of "the red" and into "the black."

Hope this helps!

Oh! And I think it's house to house, but no Thanksgiving is the holiday that everyone sits down to a meal together, not "Christmas Dinner." But I guess you could safely say that Thanksgiving is our Christmas dinner (as far as food or togetherness and all that).
  • misslouisee
    Options
    wow thanks for that! Sounds amazing!! although I can't say I envy all the food, glad I can avoid that whilst on this diet lol all sounds yum though! Hope you all enjoy! :)

Thanksgiving is a holiday that is said to have begun with the very first Pilgrims in Plymouth, Massachusetts. It was a celebration of their first successful harvest to which the Wampanoag Native Americans were invited as they taught the new immigrants how to plant and fish for native plants and animals. There is some actual historical contention about where and when the actual first harvest was and took place, but this is the one we teach our school children.

From a current history perspective I shall defer to Wikipedia for the dates and such:
    "Thanksgiving in the United States, much like in Canada, was observed on various dates throughout history. The dates of Thanksgiving in the era of the Founding Fathers until the time of Lincoln had been decided by each state on various dates. The first Thanksgiving celebrated on the same date by all states was in 1863 by presidential proclamation. The final Thursday in November had become the customary date of Thanksgiving in most U.S. states by the beginning of the 20th century. And so, in an effort by President Abraham Lincoln (influenced by the campaigning of author Sarah Josepha Hale) to foster a sense of American unity between the Northern and Southern states, proclaimed the date to be the final Thursday in November.[15]

It was not until December 26, 1941, that the unified date changed to the fourth Thursday (and not always final) in November -this time by federal legislation. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, after two years earlier offering his own proclamation to move the date earlier, with the reason of giving the country an economic boost, agreed to sign a bill into law with Congress, making Thanksgiving a national holiday on the fourth (not final) Thursday in November."

As far as modern times goes. Thanksgiving is a time to remember what you're thankful for in your life and year. It is a time for family togetherness AND YES an American-rules Football game AND excess food.

The food. A typical, but by no means comprehensive list of foods at Thanksgiving in the U.S. are, in fact, food that would typically come from a fall harvest: Turkey, Turkey gravy, stuffing (a combination of broth, breadcrumbs, poss. some sort of dried fruits or nuts--stuffed inside the Turkey and baked inside (or in a small dish) and served on the side), mashed potatoes, baked "yams" (american sweet potatoes), cranberry jelly, usually some sort of steamed vegetable on the side (corn, green beans or carrots), bread rolls...Dessert usually a Pumpkin or Sweet Potato or Apple pie and something terrible made from Jello. There is also usually a lot of buffet style snack food type things out before the meal, black olives, vegetables with dip, chips (crisps for you folks), possibly deviled eggs (hard boiled eggs, halved, the yolks removed whipped and spiced and then put back in the whites on a tray).

Most (though not my current employers...) give not just the Thursday of Thanksgiving off, but also the Friday after that, making for a four day weekend. The Friday after Thanksgiving day is considered to be the official first day of the Christmas holiday (shopping) season and is referred to as "Black Friday" because most stores have massive sales that day and retailers rely on that day to bring their accounts out of "the red" and into "the black."

Hope this helps!

Oh! And I think it's house to house, but no Thanksgiving is the holiday that everyone sits down to a meal together, not "Christmas Dinner." But I guess you could safely say that Thanksgiving is our Christmas dinner (as far as food or togetherness and all that).
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Ugh I'm bloated and feel like crap and up over 2 lbs :sad: And I saw some flurries this morning so that's the icing on the crappy cake :mad: Hope everyone did well this week. Csmiles23 - I've actually never had deep fried turkey before, but it's kind of sterotypical of Americans to love everything deep fried. I mean state fairs have deep fried twinkies, snickers bar, coke and BUTTER (ICK ICK ICK). I'm actually not a fan of turkey, but I do love mashed potatos and green beans! :smile:
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Plantgrrl, thank you for your informative description of Thanksgiving. I didn't really know anything about it. I'm now really craving turkey with all the trimmings though! Bring on Christmas already!!

I have lost 3lbs this week, but it was TOM last week so I wouldn't be surprised if it's really just the bloating/water retention/general weight gain I usually get. Either way, I'm now at the lowest I've ever weighed though, so that's good.

Well done to everyone who's lost this week, and if you've gained don't worry. We'd never appreciate the good without seeing the bad.
  • cmiles23
    Options

Hope this helps!

We have thanksgiving dinner and also christmas dinner............... :)
  • cmiles23
    Options
    Ugh I'm bloated and feel like crap and up over 2 lbs :sad: And I saw some flurries this morning so that's the icing on the crappy cake :mad: Hope everyone did well this week. Csmiles23 - I've actually never had deep fried turkey before, but it's kind of sterotypical of Americans to love everything deep fried. I mean state fairs have deep fried twinkies, snickers bar, coke and BUTTER (ICK ICK ICK). I'm actually not a fan of turkey, but I do love mashed potatos and green beans! :smile:

yes alot of us do like things deep fried lol........ I used to love things deep fried ( deep fried mozzarella sticks, deep fried oreos) but now since ive been eating healthier i wouldnt be ablke to stomach those things........... okay okay maybe i could still stomach the deep fried mozzarella sticks hahahaha
  • cmiles23
    Options
    HAPPY MONDAY LADIES!!!!!! THOSE WHO DIDNT LOG WERE LOGGED AS MAINTAINING THIS WEEK

THIS WEEKS TOP TEAM IS THE PEACH PEACHES!!!!!!!!

TOP INDIVIDUAL IS MIASUNSHINE FROM TEAM GREEN GRAPES!!!!

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE AND LETS KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!