So far, not a huge fan.

I discovered this app on Sunday, and it is pretty easy to use. I still don't like it. Thinking about the food I eat all the time makes me feel hungry, and now eating food makes me feel guilty. I usually feel tired. I worry that once I hit my target weight, I will either feel tired forever if I continue to track my calories or I will gain it back if I don't. That is assuming I ever get to my target weight...

There are no factors supporting me. Genetics are against me. My environment is against me. I have recently moved away from my base of support. All that said, I have to do something. Bad weight-related health problems run in my family.

I have lost about 14 lbs on my own, but it has taken almost a year. I have avoided dieting, but I'm afraid that is what it will take. I hope to get to under 200 by the end of the year. I am only about 4 lbs away.

Replies

• MFP will become your new support base
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    This site has been a huge help for me in my weight loss goals, as well as pushing me to do more when I got to what I thought would be my goal. It takes maybe a little getting used to.

As far as feeling tired, it's pretty common for people to be fatigued from dehydration and mistake the feeling for hunger. I don't know how much water you drink, but it's worth thinking about.
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Explore the actual website more, it will become an obsession. A healthy one though. =]
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Now that you've found it give it a chance. Read all the blogs by other folks. I'm sure no one here has the "perfect" anything or they wouldn't be here. Good job for what you've accomplished so far. We will help you so ...................Keep going!!!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    There are no factors supporting me. Genetics are against me. My environment is against me. I have recently moved away from my base of support. All that said, I have to do something. Bad weight-related health problems run in my family.

It sounds like you're against yourself. Stop thinking of all the things stopping you and start thinking about all the opportunities you have to succeed in getting healthy and losing weight. Getting in shape is as simple as you want it to be.
    That is assuming I ever get to my target weight...

And with that attitude you won't get to your target weight. Just start making little changes one day at a time. Being healthy isn't an overnight thing, it's a long process of relearning proper eating and exercise habits. You can do it if you really want to do it.

"You deserve what you settle for."
  • What type of exercise are you doing?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member

I have lost about 14 lbs on my own, but it has taken almost a year. I have avoided dieting, but I'm afraid that is what it will take. I hope to get to under 200 by the end of the year. I am only about 4 lbs away.

You're trying to get under 200 lbs and you've avoided dieting, why?
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    MFP is a fantastic tool for changing the way you think in the right way!

Could you please explain how weight problems run in your family and what medical condition it is?

Losing weight slowly is the best way because its more likely to stay off so you're doing the right things.

Perhaps MFP though, is the way forward to change your mindset and make you realise what you're eating and how many calories in vs calories out are going in, plus how well balanced your diet it is terms of macros (carbs, proteins, fats, sodium etc)... it can only make you healthier! :)

I've lost 10lbs in about 3 months on here! Technically it should be hard for me to do so as I am very close to my perfect weight and in and always was, in the healthy weight range...just the higher end and increasing.

Keep up the good work, give it chance...add me as a friend if you need motivation! :)
  • It does make you realize what you are eating, but as you add friends we are all here to help you make you journey to your ideal weight... Once you hit it and get used to the maintenance part...your portion size you will know by heart.. you over all health will be great and you will feel fit... don't give up so easy....I am one to talk.. I started this journey in June recorded maybe one or two days and gave up...Then in September I realize I need to get healthy.... you can do it
    add me as a friend and I will be the first of many support people you will find here...give it an month and you will love it..
    Angie
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Fillout your profile and add some friends. You have to make the commitment.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member

It sounds like you're against yourself. Stop thinking of all the things stopping you and start thinking about all the opportunities you have to succeed in getting healthy and losing weight. Getting in shape is as simple as you want it to be.
    That is assuming I ever get to my target weight...

Are you reading my mind?

And with that attitude you won't get to your target weight. Just start making little changes one day at a time. Being healthy isn't an overnight thing, it's a long process of relearning proper eating and exercise habits. You can do it if you really want to do it.

"You deserve what you settle for."
  • I think by the time you've reached target weight, the idea is you have learned (on your own, without calculating points or eating reconstituted prepackaged entrees) how to eat healthy foods in healthy portions.

I have found this site to be my favorite (and I have been on them all), for it's simplicity and lack of instruction.

I feel like it sinks in more what to eat and how much when you learn it on your own.

I have only been on here 2 months and have lost 13 lbs. I have 5-10 more to my goal weight, and will probably continue to log my food for a month or two once I get there to keep me motivated and on track - after that? I'll still hang around to log my exercise. Even once I no longer need to watch my calories so closely, it feels good to log my daily run, gym workout, or hike.

I think also once you're eating the right things, you will lose the guilty feelings.
    Even if a meal is like 300 calories, if it's all a big pile of raw and steamed fresh vegetables, some black beans, and home made raw carrot ginger sauce and maybe a little tofu or something? I am proud, not guilty, for eating it.

If I blow 400 calories on french fries? I log it, and work around that the rest of the day (or next day). Or if I know I want movie popcorn in the evening, I log it in the morning and eat around that so I don't have to feel bad for indulging, you make room for the treats, and work it off with exercise when you don't.

;)

Good luck! You can do it!
  • alib510
    alib510 Posts: 24 Member
    i hope you stick with it. i've only been doing it for 3 1/2 weeks but i've lost 11lbs! yes it is a pain having to log everything you eat, but i've found it really helpful to be able to plan what i'll have for dinner then decide on breakfast and lunch to fit in with the calories. i've still been able to have cake, chocolate, wine, cheese and still lose weight, you just have to be careful what else you eat in the day or how much exercise you do. its the first 'diet' i've been on where i haven't felt deprived, just more aware. xxx
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Hello and welcome!!! Boy I sure remember all those negative thoughts!!!!! I finally realized that I needed to start saying that I AM WORTH IT and SO ARE YOU!!!

This is a wonderful site and I pray that you will give it a chance. Please feel free to check out my profile and add me as a friend if you would like. I love supporting and helping otheres.

Hugs
    Bev
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    This site is what you make of it .Look around the site. Lots of information, some really great success stories,and alot of people that will cheer you on. Take it 1 day at a time. Only you can do this for yourself. Think positive.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    No one said it will be easy!

The most likely reasons you are feeling tired might be because you're eating the wrong foods... do you eat many processed foods? A good indication of processed foods is the label, can you pronounce all the ingredients and know what they are? It may be that you're not getting enough iron, or that your blood is deficient in iron. Another thing that will give you more energy, which sounds counter-intuitive, is exercise!!! Do you do a lot of exercise? If not, try just getting out for a walk even for 15 minutes a day, then upping that to 20 or 30 when you're ready. It can do WONDERS for you, trust me. You will start to feel a lot better. I used to laze around the house a lot and be quite miserable. Once I started walking I gained so much motivation and felt a lot better about the weight loss thing.

If you already exercise I would say it's the foods you are eating. If you already are paying attention to eating whole foods, getting enough fiber, protein, good fats etc, then it may be something to do with your blood, my sister has low iron and takes supplements. You would have to go to a doctor about that one though.

The start of tracking is very daunting, but it is WORTH it! And for some people, like myself, it's the only way. I remember feeling the same way as you but pleease try it out for a week! Just one week, and try your best to stick with your calorie allowance, but don't freak if you go over. Best of luck to you.
  • Tracking what you eat is a very important element of any diet. If you don't write it...you won't hold yourself accountable for it.
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    I agree with some of the other posters: the app is nice, but spend some time digging around on the actual site. This place is amazing and will serve as your support. We're all here for you!
  • talrcat
    talrcat Posts: 97 Member
    For me, this site is how I am accountable to myself. It has become a part of "conscious eating" that I need to stay on track. I know that at some point I won't "need" to do this, but it has served me very well in staying on track-and getting back on track when I gained back 20 pounds last winter, as well as just recently to see that my eating habits were slipping. Use the tools and support. You are worth the small amount of time this takes, and gives you a history to look back on to see what you want to change.
    Adding you for mutual support,
    T
  • talrcat
    talrcat Posts: 97 Member
    And, if you can--go see a nutritionist! Many insurances/hospital affiliates have something like a "just for me" program where you can go to a nutritionist for a number of visits for one program fee. Depending on insurance or income, this could be free for you.
This discussion has been closed.