So far, not a huge fan.

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Really, it's no different than tracking your expenses. Every responsible adult should do that accurately. How much harder is it to track macro nutrients?
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Oh how I found excuses not to diet. I love to eat and love to cook. I would avoid losing weight at all costs. Now after having 2 knee replacements and arthritis & narrowing of my spine, I see clearly the exact reason to diet (make life changes).

I've been on here three weeks and it's the first place I come to everyday and the last one at night plus many inbetween. Every day that I met my goal is a win for me! I love blogging too. Since I'm so new I dont have many visitors to my blogs yet but it is a release for me to write about whatever is on my mind.

I started my journey with a visit to my regular physician first, who then referred me to a dietician. That was a blessing for me. As a matter of fact, I had my first follow-up visitation with them today. They were full of praises for my achievements so far and further enhanced my knowledge about my food logs and gave suggestions that were helpful. I will be seeing them every month for followup and they are always just a phone call away.

If you are interested or anyone is interested in reading my profile/blogs, my settings are all open to the public. I've added some friends to my list and would love to have more. The motivation and inspiration I get helps me in so many ways. If you or anyone would like to friend request me, I will gladly accept and hopefully we can help both of us along the way.

The first step is yours take, just remember you will have a whole lot of people right there with you. I love MFP and even told my dietician about it and maybe they could advise other dieters to check it out.

I'm here for the long haul. Got a lot of weight to lose but I am excited and rejuvenated to continue.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    I'm too tired to write a well thought out response to your post, so I'm going to pass and take the easy way out by simply referring you to my profile page with helpful information...including a blog on how to create your own will power pill.

you see what I did there...I made an excuse for not doing more to help you (and sure, I'm tired right now and sure, my profile does have useful information)...but what I wrote was pretty dang lame. You did the same thing. You identified at least half a dozen excuses for not helping yourself. Stop with the dang excuses. Its going to take some time to settle into a routine. Its going to take time to learn to eat the right way. Its going to be a journey to find good health (and reach your desired weight). Accept that these things will not be easy. I've been in and out of the zone during my journey this year. Fortunately, I've been in the zone more often. However, its still not easy when I'm in the zone. easier, sure....but I still have to fight cravings at times, fight the complacency creep other times, and review the goals and inspirations that are part of my journey. With that said, read my profile....read the will power pill blog...do that activity. in all honesty, if you don't find powerful enough reasons for not liking your current lifestyle, you're not going to stay on the journey. sooooo...dig deep and find those reasons.

EDIT: in all fairness, my profile has quite a bit of useful information. take the time to make your profile page meaningful to you.
  • I started using MFP six months ago. It is a fantastic site. I have lost 28lb, am now in a healthy bmi and just want to lose another 6lb.
    Due to a neurological illness I am confined to my bed most of the time and a wheelchair the rest of the time. Therefore I cannot exercise at all.
    If I can do it when I can't move around, then any one can do it.
    Think positive and you will get there.
    MFP is the best diet tool ever.
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    There are no factors supporting me. Genetics are against me. My environment is against me. I have recently moved away from my base of support. All that said, I have to do something. Bad weight-related health problems run in my family.

It sounds like you're against yourself. Stop thinking of all the things stopping you and start thinking about all the opportunities you have to succeed in getting healthy and losing weight. Getting in shape is as simple as you want it to be.
    That is assuming I ever get to my target weight...

And with that attitude you won't get to your target weight. Just start making little changes one day at a time. Being healthy isn't an overnight thing, it's a long process of relearning proper eating and exercise habits. You can do it if you really want to do it.

"You deserve what you settle for."
    ^ This. I couldn't agree more.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    I started using MFP six months ago. It is a fantastic site. I have lost 28lb, am now in a healthy bmi and just want to lose another 6lb.
    Due to a neurological illness I am confined to my bed most of the time and a wheelchair the rest of the time. Therefore I cannot exercise at all.
    If I can do it when I can't move around, then any one can do it.
    Think positive and you will get there.
    MFP is the best diet tool ever.

Oh man, you need to team up with my brother. He's paraplegic and healthy weight is tough! But...he is a cranky stubborn boy who eats crap, so...
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Here are my thoughts. First of all, there's nothing wrong with slow weight loss. You didn't put on the weight overnight. For me, MFP has been a way to learn how to eat healthy. Read the forums and you can learn a lot. I still digress, but I'm looking at this as a way to modify my eating habits into something healthier that I can personally live with.

It's more difficult when you don't have support around you, but it's still doable. The only support I've had has been from folks here at MFP, although that was by my own choice. I didn't tell anyone I was trying to lose weight because, to be honest, I really didn't think I could. My family saw me logging online but pretty much thought I was being a tad foolish. They didn't berate, but they didn't encourage, either. In fact, my husband - the cook in the family - would get a little insulted when I wouldn't take large portions.

The bottom line is, you have to want this. If you really do, you'll find a lot of people on this site who want to support you. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    I stole this from another post because it really connected for me. "One day at a time, one meal at a time, one step at at time."
  • cpeterson70
    cpeterson70 Posts: 19 Member
    Bev said it...and so nicely, too!! The negative thoughts will sabotage you EVERY time!! Every time you have a negative thought such as the ones you mentioned, you really need to stop yourself. I am taking an 8 week course for healthy lifestyle/weight management. Last week we discussed "cognitive restructuring". We talk to ourselves ALL day long and what we say to ourselves influences our moods and for most of us, I would guess, our moods affect our eating habits. This is a wrap up from the instructor of last week's course:

"Last week we talked about “Cognitive Restructuring.” The purpose of this session is to help you better understand how your thought patterns influence your feelings, lifestyle choices and ability to achieve your goals. The goal is to help you find strategies to help change unhelpful or unproductive thought patterns into more helpful and productive ways of thinking."

A quick Google on "Cognitive Restructuring Weight Management" led me to this site:
    http://www.freedomfromfear.org/viewtopic.asp?topic_id=188

The dietitian running our class doesn't have a website for me to list here, or I would have.

And, I don't like to think of using this tool as a "diet". That term has gotten a bad rap. Diet is what we eat, period! This tool helps us to realize the calories of the foods we eat. Obviously most of us have been eating too many calories than our bodies need to survive. I think it is important to learn this about ourselves. There is no need to completely cut out all the "fun" foods you eat. You just need to find a way to fit the foods you like in with healthier options. In 6 weeks, I have lost 8 pounds (I've set my weight loss to around 1 lb a week) and I have had things like pizza, chicken fried steak and some of my kid's Halloween candy. But you just can't have that stuff everyday.

I get tired of measuring and weighing my food, but I do it so I can know how much I am eating and am not doing it so I will feel bad about myself or feel like I am punishing myself. If I don't weigh it, how am I going to know how much I am eating? Then I can't log it.

Give it time...and really think about your thought processes and see if you can't try to redirect them when they get negative. Also, you can't know how you will feel when you reach your goal (until you get there)...but you already know how you feel this far out from it. I don't see how it could be worse.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    I joined in June and felt the same way you do

I was a fade dieter and never exercised. Being big runs in the family and I also have a hypo thyroid. I thought everyday the odds are against me. I started small and walking on my breaks at work. It didnt do much so started walking short distances in the evening as well and still nothing. I came across this website on a app on my phone and said why not. It took me a week but I love it. I love being accountable for what I eat and finding out that healthier versions of foods I love are still yummy. Also I love exercising now. Its ME TIME...... and it has paid off. Give this site a chance and you will love it too
  • LIGHTEN UP ON YOURSELF!!!!!! Ok, this is a tool but the reality is that we have to continue to put the work into this. I started one week then didn't log in for several days. Although it forces me to think about food it also holds me accountable to take a look at what I'm putting into my system. We can provide support each other if you're interested. We can do this. Are you exercising?? That reallly is the key. I'm at 229 but plan to commit to tracking and exercising to reach my goals and at least -10 by years end. Here to support ya!
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    The only thing really going against you is your negative attitude
  • shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    so true - it's my favorite website now! :smile:
  • kgcart
    kgcart Posts: 27 Member
    Becky,

Excellent reply!!!
  • kgcart
    kgcart Posts: 27 Member
    Sounds like your setting yourself up for failure based on your comments! Good luck!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Some of us have been here for years and found it to be a great tool and a huge part of our success. Judging it in a negative way after only a few days tells me it's you attitude that needs fixing. I don't mean to sound harsh but if you don't get your head in the game, you won't win. MFP is not at fault. Good luck to you.
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Some of us have been here for years and found it to be a great tool and a huge part of our success. Judging it in a negative way after only a few days tells me it's you attitude that needs fixing. I don't mean to sound harsh but if you don't get your head in the game, you won't win. MFP is not at fault. Good luck to you.

**high five** absolutely right!!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    I notice the OP made the one post and didn't come back...
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    I notice the OP made the one post and didn't come back...

I was just thinking the same thing...
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    I discovered this app on Sunday, and it is pretty easy to use. I still don't like it. Thinking about the food I eat all the time makes me feel hungry, and now eating food makes me feel guilty. I usually feel tired. I worry that once I hit my target weight, I will either feel tired forever if I continue to track my calories or I will gain it back if I don't. That is assuming I ever get to my target weight...

There are no factors supporting me. Genetics are against me. My environment is against me. I have recently moved away from my base of support. All that said, I have to do something. Bad weight-related health problems run in my family.

I have lost about 14 lbs on my own, but it has taken almost a year. I have avoided dieting, but I'm afraid that is what it will take. I hope to get to under 200 by the end of the year. I am only about 4 lbs away.

I have felt this way before at the begging of my weightloss journey. it doesnt always feel lik that trust me. with time u will find counting your calories is ust another part of your day.

from what your saying your biggest problem is motivation and believing in yourself. as others have said with an attitude that you can posibly succeed you are very likely to fail. have a reall good look at why you want to loose the weight, at what will really motivate you to work hard. and you have to find what works for you. calorie counting is grreat but maybe you need the right mindset and tools to help. for example i read a site where food was divided into two catogories and you could eat as much as you like from one category, and only 10 things from the other per day. They call it the "cheat system" this might be something that works for you.

The site is: http://blog.peertrainer.com/tip_of_the_day/2011/02/the-peertrainer-cheat-system.html

and here are some other sites i found helpful:

http://www.peertrainer.com/diet/how_to_get_the_motivation_to_lose_weight.htm

http://www.peertrainer.com/how_other_people_effect_your_motivation.aspx

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-motivation-tips

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.