What would you like to see in a Gym?

Options
I'm looking at the possibility of opening a Gym, what would you like to see in a gym? What types of equipment, classes, studios etc would you like to see in a gym if you could decide?

I like the idea of not just having the usual row of bikes and junk, i also like alternative methods of training such as boxing, tire flipping and using TRX bands etc but don't know if the average gym goer would use them or maybe they would if they are shown the benefits.

Anyway, what would YOU like to see in a gym?

Any ideas and feedback would be great,

Scott

Replies

• meex
    meex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    workout videos with PT's showing you how to do equipment/stretches/weights
    a pool is great (but probably expensive!
    Good childcare
  • sryan8408
    Options
    In addition to exercise classes, what about once a month classes on nutrition, form, how to measure yourself,. Or maybe even support groups to get exercise buddies. So many people embark on their journeys not knowing what is important, what they should be doing, and how they should be doing it, and with little to no support.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    * energy generating equipment (see the green microgym http://thegreenmicrogym.com/)
    * a variety of fitness classes (yoga, zumba, kickboxing,jazzercise, traditional aerobics)
    * a lap pool
    * and a sound system that doesn't overwhelm one's own MP-3 player!
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Equipment that is accessible to those of us in wheelchairs. The equipment exists, with strength training equipment and stationary handbikes but I have never found a gym that has any of this equipment. A nice wide roll-on scale would be great too.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I would use boxing equipment and stuff like that if there was a trainer willing to work with me for the first.. maybe 4 times to get a feel of it, then maybe once a month therein.

ALSO- teach me Olympic lifts! Cleans and presses... stuff like that! I would love to have a gym experience where I didn't have to ask to learn something, but was given the choice to learn proper form on the free weights. Nothing like a good free weights experience to keep you coming back.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I really like group classes and did not know how much I enjoyed them until I moved to a place that does not have them.

Zumba, Spin, Yoga (that sort of thing)

Also the machines with the tvs. Man i love those tvs (LOL!)
  • sryan8408
    Options
    And TVs on the treadmills that tilt. Not everyone is average height, and my gym has tvs on the treadmills but I can barely see the picture unless I'm about to fall off the treadmill because I'm so short :(
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    TRX
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I am a member of a gym here in Australia which is a slightly different model to most large commercial gyms. It doesn't have all the frills of a large gym with rows and rows of equipment, but it is ideal for me as the premise of this gym is to operate as a cross between a regular gym and personal training.

They run three sessions per day, and most people arrive at the same time each session. No thinking required, as a program is on the board when you arrive, and we all work out as a group. This works well for me as I have the accountability of working out in a group, never have to think about modifying a program, and you know you get a full body workout and mix of resistance and cardio training every day. There are also a number of extra curricular activities such as a running club, and social events away from the gym too.

From what I have seen, it leads to a very active and loyal customer base. It is a good model for a smaller scale, high level of member retention etc, but the high touch/high service model may not be as profitable as the churn of semi-active members you have in most commercial premises.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    classes more than once a week...it is frustrating to have pilates only on monday at 10 am...and adjustable TV's and I like the idea of some way of showing how to use the wts....besides those goofy little pics that I cant figure out...LOL good luck on this endeavor
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Something that is inexpensive and open 24 hours.
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Zumba, Zumba Toning, Spinning, Kickboxing, Weight Training, Yoga, Pilates, etc.
    Lots of free weights ("girly" to "uber-manly"), kettlebells, weighted balls, lots of mirrors.
    Lots of cardio equip, stair climber, elliptical, stationary and recumbant bikes, treadmills, arc trainers (love arc trainers!).
    My last gym had a movie cardio room, which was nearly dark, with bikes and ellipticals and a huge movie screen.
    Trainers and nutritionists and a day care area. TVs and music.
    Boxing- punching bags, speed bags.
    Tires, ropes, and TRX are awesome too!

Good for you- I hope you do it!
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    personally i don't think i'd use a boxing area; i save all my floor work for home because I feel exposed on the mats at my gym even though they're in the corner and I'm not too bad at floor work. my gym has running machines by the full length windows which overlook a warehouse car park. apart from being the dullest view in bletchley, the sun often blinds me if I'm there at a certain time of day so some kind of tint on the windows at my gym may have been worth a thought.
    To be honest I just like my gym to provide facilities for working out and it's nice if it's staffed with people who can offer good advice and support. lockers that don't smell of feet might be nice but i guess i might contribute to those odours!
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    In addition to exercise classes, what about once a month classes on nutrition, form, how to measure yourself,. Or maybe even support groups to get exercise buddies. So many people embark on their journeys not knowing what is important, what they should be doing, and how they should be doing it, and with little to no support.

Love this idea, classes on nutrition etc....fabulous!!
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    double, sorry
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    More space for freeweights and squat racks.

However more cardio equipment = commercial success.
  • marylynn46
    marylynn46 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Small mini trampolines ( mine is a cellercizer), even handicapped people can use it.
    I also wonder about the new vibration machines. Anyone know anything about them? If they work they could also be good for people who are not able to do anything too physical.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If we're talking total fantasy world... a roller rink. :heart:

I love roller skating, but unless I'm a derby girl on a team or a 12 year old having a birthday party, there's no place for me to skate.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If you offer classes, make sure there are enough Cardio classes that are low impact. You will find a larger age range will participate in a beginner friendly low-impact class. Weren't we all beginners at some point? Don't ignore the senior population, they will keep your gym buzzing during the 10 a.m -3 p.m. hours of the day.
  • heididea
    Options
    i agree with everyone else ^^^ but what about a dance class? i would LOVE to learn how toreally 'shake it' :D that would be awesome!