Would it be weird to bring my own scale?

Options

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    If it gives you peace of mind, and it sounds like it would, bring it. Who cares if it's weird? :flowerforyou:
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    So if I were asking myself this question, I would probably tell myself to calm down, it's only one weigh in that probably isn't really that important anyway, and I can just weigh myself next week or when I get home. Then again, I probably get more obsessive about these things. Realistically, if you don't think they'd mind for whatever reason then you're probably fine to bring it.
  • PJilly
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but you wouldn't take your scale to the doctor's office, right? You'll be fine.
    She probably wouldn't spend the weekend at her doctor's office either.
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    LOL. No. Take them with you. There was a post here a while ago where a guy took his scales with him to the docs so he could compare the results!!
  • jjbraid
    jjbraid Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My sister wants to bring hers on a cruise with her.
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My sister wants to bring hers on a cruise with her.

Think her weight would vary depending if the ship was going up or down a wave..
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Weigh in when you come home. It's not a big deal to weigh in a day late. Are you going to take your scale with you every time you go somewhere?

agree
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it would be kinda weird.

As long as you're comfortable with being weird, I say go ahead.

I guess that's the thing. I know it's kinda weird, but I'm not sure if I care that it's weird.
  • jayliospecky
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but you wouldn't take your scale to the doctor's office, right? You'll be fine.
    She probably wouldn't spend the weekend at her doctor's office either.

This made me laugh! Good one!
  • jayliospecky
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't say you guys helped me make an actual decision, but your responses were entertaining. I may go through and count up the votes, just for interest's sake.

I may be leaning towards leaving it at home, but I still can't decide. I guess the thing is that once I choose to do something, I become a real perfectionist about it, and if I start to loosen up sometimes I lose some ground.

Ah, well. Life will go on either way... I don't think I'll be losing any sleep over it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Bring it...shows you are serious and self-motivating!!! :)

Leave it....shows you are flexible and in it for long term outcomes not short term numbers.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    I'd just weigh myself on Monday and be aware that there may be fluctuations.

Consistency is good, but we have to remember not to become slaves to our scales and schedules, too.

^^^This.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Relax and leave it. If you are truely making a lifestyle change and not just on a crash diet - RELAX. Enjoy your weekend.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The thing is... you're two pounds away from your goal. In my mind, being two pounds from goal is pretty much being at goal. Two pounds is not going to make a huge difference in either direction, unless you're a jockey or wrestler or something where your exact weight is of vital importance.

I'm saying this as someone who used to take my weigh-ins very seriously. Always on the same day of the week, under the same circumstances (TMI, but I had to poop first), and I'd make sure I was very careful in my sodium consumption for several days before, just to get a good weigh-in. Then I realized that I'm not on The Biggest Loser. I'm not going to be eliminated or voted off if I don't drop my x pounds this week. I'm not under any kind of deadline and it doesn't matter if it takes me three weeks or three months to reach any goal, because, in fact, I was already in a healthy range so any further weight I lost was just for vanity anyway.

Since adopting that attitude, I've been much happier, and much more enjoyable to be around.
  • PJilly
    Options
    I don't think I'll be losing any sleep over it.
    And that is the most important part. :smile:
  • jayliospecky
    Options
    The thing is... you're two pounds away from your goal. In my mind, being two pounds from goal is pretty much being at goal. Two pounds is not going to make a huge difference in either direction, unless you're a jockey or wrestler or something where your exact weight is of vital importance.

I'm saying this as someone who used to take my weigh-ins very seriously. Always on the same day of the week, under the same circumstances (TMI, but I had to poop first), and I'd make sure I was very careful in my sodium consumption for several days before, just to get a good weigh-in. Then I realized that I'm not on The Biggest Loser. I'm not going to be eliminated or voted off if I don't drop my x pounds this week. I'm not under any kind of deadline and it doesn't matter if it takes me three weeks or three months to reach any goal, because, in fact, I was already in a healthy range so any further weight I lost was just for vanity anyway.

Since adopting that attitude, I've been much happier, and much more enjoyable to be around.

I get what you're saying, but I'm actually only two pounds away from my first goal. I haven't decided if I want to go further than that, or maintain that for awhile. I do know I have a big event coming up in about 4 weeks that I really want to look my best for. I don't think it's so much about the weigh-in day, per se, but sometimes if I skip a weigh-in, or postpone it, I sort of mentally slack off. Does that make sense? It's kind of like when you know you've gained a lot of weight but if you don't step on the scale, you don't have to acknowledge it. Sometimes if I don't step on the scale, it's like I don't have to acknowledge whether I've been hitting my goal, or maybe screwing up.
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I vote for leave it at home, skip the weigh in all together. It will be home waiting for you as incentive... if you weigh often like me, which I read you like to do, knowing that you don't have the scale there might persuade you to make really healthy choices.

I agree, use it as incentive not to go crazy over the weekend, and weigh in at home. I understand the "take the scale" with you side too, but i think there's a fine line between pushing yourself and getting obsessive. If your husband's starting to worry maybe this is for the best. My mom worries the same way, and it's only in a good way, she's been nothing but totally supportive of me!
  • jayliospecky
    Options

I agree, use it as incentive not to go crazy over the weekend, and weigh in at home. I understand the "take the scale" with you side too, but i think there's a fine line between pushing yourself and getting obsessive. If your husband's starting to worry maybe this is for the best. My mom worries the same way, and it's only in a good way, she's been nothing but totally supportive of me!

My husband is amazing, he just worries once in awhile that I'll get too skinny and anorexic or something. While I can get obsessive (reason I'm leaning towards leaving the scale at home) I love food way too much to ever go too far to the skinny side. I'm pretty sure my issue will always be at the other end of the spectrum.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I say don't be a slave to the scale. Weigh when you get home. I often go 2-3 weeks in-between weighing. Most of the time, I go by how my skinny jeans fit. This tells me more than the scale does and helps keep me from obsessing about numbers that really don't mean much. I mean, c'mon, a little water retention can put you up a couple of pounds. It happens and it's nothing to worry about.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Bring your own scale if it's going to put your mind at ease :)