Binge eating at night

Options
I've got total control in the daytime. I work out for an hour to an hour and a half each day. Mostly cardio, and some strength training.

My biggest problem is night-time. I get really hungry and I binge eat. I try to make good decisions, but I never seem satiated. Should I go to bed earlier so I forget about my grumbling tummy? I'm trying to find out why I eat so much at night. Though I admit it is getting easier the more I stay on my calories and the more I say no to myself. My favorite foods at night are going in the meat drawer and eating the deli turkey/chicken by itself. Slice after slice - four or five slices. The other night I had a small piece of lasagna + two eggs. I seem to be my hungriest at night time.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I don't always binge- I will sneak in extra calories I know I will later regret. One thing you may try to do is keep your calorie count down more earlier in the day to allow for a few extra in the later time. Find stuff that is satisfying but not terrible. I found I like chocolate milk and it is a great substitute for the real candybar. I also get it 1% instead of higher fat. There is a bit of sugar-but like I said, better than real thing. Also - don't have things in your house that you can't resist. Hardest thing I learned. I loveeeee icecream and won't even purchase it- even low fat or frozen yogurt. I know I can eat half a gallon in a sitting if I don't watch it. Wish I had more help.
  • cheekydeeky
    cheekydeeky Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i do the same thing. its usually carbs. which is horrible to before bed. :( good luck to you.
  • CatSaysKnit
    CatSaysKnit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing but knitting has helped. It keeps my hands and my mind busy so I dont' think about food. It's my way of dealing.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you ate enough during the day you wouldn't be so hungry at night. You have hundreds of calories left over almost every day.
  • oaken
    oaken Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i do the same thing. its usually carbs. which is horrible to before bed. :( good luck to you.

Yes, it is usually carbs. I love love love carbs. I'm a mashed potato person - for sure.
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel...this is a problem a lot of folks have. I say don't deprive yourself at night, but slowly ween yourself off eating at a certain, try to make healthy choices of snacks.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Maybe if you ate enough during the day you wouldn't be so hungry at night. You have hundreds of calories left over almost every day.

^^^ This. Sounds like your body is playing catch up on missing nutrition. Try eating more of your calories earlier in the day, get ample protein and fiber in there, and eat your calories back to zero.
  • CLC900709
    CLC900709 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. Except I eat EVERYTHING I can find! Total control during the day, but at night I just get bored and eating keeps my hands busy. :-( i'll be stalking this post! haha
  • angel013183
    angel013183 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not sure I agree with keeping your calorie count down in the day to allow for extra later. This could contribute to your over-eating at night. I would suspect that you are not eating enough during the day and by the time you get home you are starving. If you are working out as much as you say you are you should try adding in more protein during the day to keep you feeling full longer. Make sure you eat a snack late in the afternoon to tie you over and find something to do at night to keep yourself busy and your mind off of food.
  • oaken
    Options
    Usually it's after dinner. If I eat a good size meal, a couple of hours later I'm already wanting more food. Sometimes, I'm thinking about what I'm going to eat later while I'm eating dinner!!! It's sick. I feel sick about it.

In some ways I'm scared to eat more calories during the day because I'm afraid I won't have any left at night time, my craving time.
  • angel013183
    angel013183 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Dont neccessarily eat more calories during the day but eat protein. I eat the "pure protein" bars and they keep me full and help with the sugar craving. ( i cant lie and say they are wonderful but they work) and they only have 150 calories..they really do work in keeping you full. Also, try the 3 bite rule that my bootcamp instructor told me about. If you want/craving something, take 3 small bites of it. If you still want the rest of it then eat it but usually just having 3 bites will work for the craving...and a LOT LESS calories then gorging on the whole thing. :)
  • CLC900709
    CLC900709 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Usually it's after dinner. If I eat a good size meal, a couple of hours later I'm already wanting more food. Sometimes, I'm thinking about what I'm going to eat later while I'm eating dinner!!! It's sick. I feel sick about it.

In some ways I'm scared to eat more calories during the day because I'm afraid I won't have any left at night time, my craving time.
    you sound a lot like me. i can be cooking breakfast and im thinking about snacks, lunch, dinner, etc!
    last night i ate my dinner, my sons (because he wouldnt eat it), and like 3 snacks after that. (chips, another kind of chips, and pop tarts). i felt gross when i sat there and thought "i wonder what my boyfriend is thinking watching me stuff my face like this". i probably would have ate more but the BF and i were arguing and i went to bed early.
    i think its all a mind over matter thing. are you REALLY hungry or just wanting/looking for something to do?
  • What's important to understand is that you are going to feel hungry while loosing weight. You are on a calorie defect which means your body is burning fat. Think of it as Pac Man. The little men are cutting fat away-let them cut! If you eat what you are suppose to try something besides watching TV, read!! Read a magazine, take a bath, relax, de stress, but dont eat extra at night!!

Keep track of your calories and keep consistent is the BEST and most effective way to loose weight.

How bad do you want it?
    Remind your self, make a poster, callage, anything to remind you of where you want to be. Don't give up and don't binge! :)
  • oaken
    Options
    i think its all a mind over matter thing. are you REALLY hungry or just wanting/looking for something to do?

Some nights I can honestly say I am hungry. My stomach is rumbling, and I feel empty. Other nights I'm just bored in front of the TV.
  • oaken
    Options
    What's important to understand is that you are going to feel hungry while loosing weight. You are on a calorie defect which means your body is burning fat. Think of it as Pac Man. The little men are cutting fat away-let them cut! If you eat what you are suppose to try something besides watching TV, read!! Read a magazine, take a bath, relax, de stress, but dont eat extra at night!!

Keep track of your calories and keep consistent is the BEST and most effective way to loose weight.

How bad do you want it?
    Remind your self, make a poster, callage, anything to remind you of where you want to be. Don't give up and don't binge! :)

I can do this. I can cut it out after dinner. I'll start tonight.
  • ameerah77
    ameerah77 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you add more fiber to your dinner, it might hold you over longer. With me, I get home late alot and usually will just have a bowl of raising bran with almond milk and those are the nights that don't wake up through the night to snack. Good luck to you.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    just save most of your calories for night time
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    go to bed earlier, that's what i do. i know that if i'm not in bed by 10 i'm gonna binge, i also know that if i'm hungry before then it's because i'm hungry and not because i'm bored. i also alway make sure to have some late night calories set aside just in case.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're not eating much during the day. My guess is that's what is causing you to binge at night, because your body is trying to make up for what it didn't get earlier. Why don't you try eating more of your calories during the day rather than at night?
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    i was really bad with this too. It helped me to eat more frequently throughout the day (little healthy snacks) so I wasn't actually hungry at night. And for the first couple months, I incorporated a late snack into my calories early so I knew I had those calories for snacking. I also started making tea at night, or sugar-free/fat-free hot chocolate, so I could have something that felt satisfying but didn't take up calories.