WAHOOOO ANOTHER JOB!!! :D

songbyrdsweet
songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
OMG I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!

Saturday I quit my POS retail job and went out to celebrate. I was out at a bar with one of my friends who works in a lab where I'll be over the summer doing my internship. We're talking to a couple of his friends from the lab, and another guy comes over from a different lab and gets in on our conversation (dorkiness abounds). So we start discussing some muscle phys/endocrinology stuff, and the guy is really impressed with me. :glasses: He tells me I'm very knowledgeable for an undergrad, and he's a post-doc working with a professor who needs someone like me. So I give him my e-mail address but didn't think much would come of it. But hey, it's networking.

Come Monday morning, his prof DOES e-mail me! Today I went in for an interview, and not only am I going to be a research assistant, I'll be PAID! :happy: AND he wants me to come up with my OWN project so I can be the PRIMARY AUTHOR on a research publication! That's HUUUUGE, I'm just a baby undergrad!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: His is a nutritional immunology lab, and I'll be focusing on diabetes and obesity and inflammation.

So I'm going to start there ASAP and work 15-20 hrs/wk until my internship starts at the molecular biology studying cell division and cancer. Then I have to do 30 hours/wk at my internship and 10/wk at the nutritional immunology lab. It will be a lot of work, but I am going to learn SO MUCH. One of the first things I get to do at my internship is cloning! (Not Dolly the sheep cloning lol, just cells, but still awesome). I'll have to get certified in radioactive materials, lab safety, and animal testing, and I'm already certified in human subjects testing, so I will have run the gamut on certifications and used just about every machine I can think of in a lab setting by the time the summer is over. :laugh:

WHEW that was lengthy, but I am SO excited.

I am getting my lip pierced to celebrate never working in retail again. They don't allow individuality and I have always wanted that piercing. SO THERE, crappy retail job. :bigsmile:

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    OMG I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!

Saturday I quit my POS retail job and went out to celebrate. I was out at a bar with one of my friends who works in a lab where I'll be over the summer doing my internship. We're talking to a couple of his friends from the lab, and another guy comes over from a different lab and gets in on our conversation (dorkiness abounds). So we start discussing some muscle phys/endocrinology stuff, and the guy is really impressed with me. :glasses: He tells me I'm very knowledgeable for an undergrad, and he's a post-doc working with a professor who needs someone like me. So I give him my e-mail address but didn't think much would come of it. But hey, it's networking.

Come Monday morning, his prof DOES e-mail me! Today I went in for an interview, and not only am I going to be a research assistant, I'll be PAID! :happy: AND he wants me to come up with my OWN project so I can be the PRIMARY AUTHOR on a research publication! That's HUUUUGE, I'm just a baby undergrad!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: His is a nutritional immunology lab, and I'll be focusing on diabetes and obesity and inflammation.

So I'm going to start there ASAP and work 15-20 hrs/wk until my internship starts at the molecular biology studying cell division and cancer. Then I have to do 30 hours/wk at my internship and 10/wk at the nutritional immunology lab. It will be a lot of work, but I am going to learn SO MUCH. One of the first things I get to do at my internship is cloning! (Not Dolly the sheep cloning lol, just cells, but still awesome). I'll have to get certified in radioactive materials, lab safety, and animal testing, and I'm already certified in human subjects testing, so I will have run the gamut on certifications and used just about every machine I can think of in a lab setting by the time the summer is over. :laugh:

WHEW that was lengthy, but I am SO excited.

I am getting my lip pierced to celebrate never working in retail again. They don't allow individuality and I have always wanted that piercing. SO THERE, crappy retail job. :bigsmile:
  • mizzymiz
    mizzymiz Posts: 417 Member
    Congrats SBS! That's awesome! Arm Pump!!! :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Hahah thanks!! :drinker:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Wow Song!! That is awesome :drinker: :drinker: WOOOOOHOOOOOO! I am so happy for you - enjoy the ride! I really glad to see that things are working out well for you - you deserve it. :heart:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I am so happy for you! What great news!!!!! I always knew you were a smart cookie! Glad to hear you will get to be an author- that IS huge!!!!!!

Congratulations!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Yea, now I just have to come up with a project! :laugh: I am SO glad I'm about to graduate. On to bigger and better things! :happy:

On another note, I bought my new shirt for my interview from Walmart along with a cute little dress and another shirt. I got everything in a small and didn't feel like trying anything on, so I figured if it was too small I'd just return it. It ALL fit! :bigsmile: This is a really great week. :smile:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    :drinker: congrats
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Congrats!!! You are young and fit, so you can handle the hours (I did that too in my 20's - couldn't imagine now!).

Good luck and ENJOY EVERY MINUTE!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    That is huge!!!!! Congratulations!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Sweeeeeeeeettt!!!!! good job!
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Amazing luck and accomplishment! Congratulations!
    Good luck with that... I'll spit on the retail jobs with ya, lol :laugh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    that is HUGE ! ! !

congratulations!
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    How freakin amazing for you!!!! Just think....all of us here that have utilized your wealth of information and insight will be able to say...."yeah, I knew her when...." How many of you out there in mfpland are just the slightest concerned that SBS's new adventure and time restraints will wreak havoc on her ability to give us all the info that we have come to appreciate so much???? lol:wink I do hope you are able to check in on us often.....I ran a post asking for insight about fat loss vs muscle loss and you received an incredible compliment from another mfp'er.....she stated that you would be the one to talk to.....lol

Again, congrats!!! I hope it is all you are expecting and more.....you gonna be the one to find a cure for cancer???? I will place my bet on it.......can you just get it done and approved during my lifetime please??? lol
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    That's awesome news!!!:drinker:
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    You're my hero SBS!
    congratualtions.gifconfetti.gifcheerleader3.gif

Hey, whatever happened to the prince of dorkiness?
    Ya know.. that guy from your previous job that was being an a*hole?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Very cool lady!

Advice from a former college chem major, watch out! Pipettes break easilly (bad stuff when you're working with 10 molar HCL!), who knew lab coats cost 45 bucks a piece! I couldn't drink for 2 weeks after that little incident. :wink:

Seriously though SB, good for you. Don't forget all us little people when you solve diabetes (my sister would LOVE you since she's had type 1 since she was 2).:flowerforyou:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Oh, that's simply amazing. Good for you! I hope the experience here takes you even greater places! :flowerforyou: Congrats!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    YAY!!! I am so proud of you! That is so awesome chicky! Awesome about the clothes too!

I have so much fun in labs. It's such relaxing atmosphere. I absolutely LOVE doing histology.

Keep me posted on all the cool stuff you get to do!!!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    That is awesome! You have every right to be WAY excited! Good luck with everything!!!!