Having a Sense of Humor

Options
124»

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Much like you can't change the past, you can't change people. It's the beauty of life :) Some people will never lighten up. Some people will never grow up. Some people will never eat tripe. And some people will never believe in boob jobs.
    Good points, kiddo.

I, for one, love tripe in a well-made menudo. If you don't, then you're nuts. :laugh:
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I spell it "humour" all the time. That's one I think the Brits and Canucks have right.

"Favourite" ... crossing the line.

But honestly, I can deal with that a lot more easily than Americans spelling "definitely" with an a. Drives me nuts. One of these days, I'm just going to start tossing dictionaries at people.

I'm American, but even I know its "Aluminium" and not "aluminum". Come on, ignorant Yankees.. grumble, grumble. Look at the Periodic Table... grumble, grumble.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I spell it "humour" all the time. That's one I think the Brits and Canucks have right.

But honestly, I can deal with that a lot more easily than Americans spelling "definitely" with an a. Drives me nuts. One of these days, I'm just going to start tossing dictionaries at people.

Sorry, Americans that are good at spelling don't use an A in definitely. That's not a culture/continent thing!!

I know that. Unfortunately, most Americans aren't good at spelling. I suspect that's part of the reason why so many people have taken to writing "defo" instead of spelling the word out. Frankly, I'd rather see it misspelled than unnecessarily abbreviated. Bastardization of the English language is an American specialty.
  • solpwr
    Options
    Much like you can't change the past, you can't change people. It's the beauty of life :) Some people will never lighten up. Some people will never grow up. Some people will never eat tripe. And some people will never believe in boob jobs.
    Good points, kiddo.

I, for one, love tripe in a well-made menudo. If you don't, then you're nuts. :laugh:

Is there another way to love tripe?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Sorry, Americans that are good at spelling don't use an A in definitely. That's not a culture/continent thing!!

I know that. Unfortunately, most Americans aren't good at spelling. I suspect that's part of the reason why so many people have taken to writing "defo" instead of spelling the word out. Frankly, I'd rather see it misspelled than unnecessarily abbreviated. Bastardization of the English language is an American specialty.

I'm American - and I have no clue what "defo" would stand for... hrmmmm.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Texting abbreviations drive me mad. Knock it off, you damn kids! And get off my lawn!
  • solpwr
    Options

I think its "speciality". Not sure though. :wink:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    So when does the burden fall on the original poster? Can anyone be a jerk just because they were trying to be funny?

The problem with most of the issues on here is that many people's idea of being funny is making a joke at someone else's expense. It's funny to their "friends", but not to the person who's being made fun of. In fact, it's pretty hurtful, especially to someone who's trying to change their life and needs all the support they can get. We were all there once.

Personally, I don't find jokes like that funny at all. It actually seems pretty pathetic to me that some people want to be liked so badly that they try to entertain their friends by making fun of other people.

Sure, some people need to lighten up. But I don't think that's the issue here at all.

You are exactly right about most of the issues here Mike. When people make jokes at other's expense, its wrong. But I would submit that some people's jokes, when you consider what they actually said, may be making light of a point of view, or the presentation of the point of view, or some ancillary component of the actual Post. So not taking that personally, as a person attack, is valuable. Other people blatantly make fun of the person, the Poster. That's offensive. I see it. I've been the butt of it. So what? They "can't take away my Birthday" (an old saying I used to use). It is of no consequence to me. It becomes an issue by retaliating. I think your suggestion elsewhere, to Report the Post, is appropriate. But if people lighten up, it doesn't have to go there so quickly, in my opinion.

That is the issue Gordo presented, Having a Sense of Humor. That means lightening up.

Well said.
  • solpwr
    Options
    I hit report everytime I see someone post that they're drinking Franzia from a box... just so we're all clear on that.

It's a violation against humanity.

You just haven't found the right food that goes with Franzia from a box yet...
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Sense of humor is important not only in the journey, on this board but in EVERYTHING in life.

There's no way I could had made it out of situations in my life unless I eventually lightened up and laughed- either at the person who hurt me (haha) or at myself.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    wonderful post and needed to m
    be said.
    ty!
  • Hewitt347
    Options
    Good points, kiddo.

Eat a McRib :)
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Exactly! :laugh:
  • Hewitt347
    Options
    Exactly! :laugh:

Well Tripe + 86 other ingredients.
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I hit report everytime I see someone post that they're drinking Franzia from a box... just so we're all clear on that.

It's a violation against humanity.

But I always take out the finest Dixie cups I have to go with it. :embarassed:

I :heart: Shannon and am not afraid to share it