Does Anyone Get Annoyed...

Options

Replies

• StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I think if someone wants to use the site and is supportive and inspiring they should be on here no matter their size. I believe I can learn from them and be supported by them too, so its all good.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Worried, Sad, frustrated,

That they are wasting time and energy obsessing over a losing couple of pounds which would endanger their health.

Instead of using that energy loving themselves and living a fabulous life doing fabulous things, learning fabulous things,and just being fabulous.

Your body should be SUBJECT not OBJECT.

Your value is NOT as ornament or status object...
    If you happen to look great what a wonderful bonus, but your body is a vehicle that has to get you through the rest of your life (no trade-ins). You to take care of yourself so you can have a strong body so that you will be CAPABLE and able to DO everything that you want it to DO whether... Swimming, hiking, mowing the lawn, kayaking, rocking it in the sack, dancing, rock climbing, swinging your kids around, skiing, scuba diving, bicycling, climb trees.... whatever you want to do.

You need a healthy body to serve you, don't be a slave to how other perceive you because you'll never meet everyone's expectations.

Well said. :flowerforyou:
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Nopez
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Well, look at it this way. You saying you're annoyed by skinnier folks on MFP is equally as bad as the skinny folks posting something about how they're annoyed by all the fat people. Do you know what kind of reaction that would ensue? That person would be in for a world of angry messages.

The point I'm trying to make is, you can never judge a book by it's cover... or condemn someone for trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Mannnny women and men suffer from bodydismorphic disorder--which is what you see in the mirror, and what really exists are two very different things. A lot of what we do here, and in the weight-loss world, is strictly psychological. Mind over matter. The only thing you should be concerned with is YOUR health and weight loss. If others seem like they are moving in the wrong direction, try to help them, don't get annoyed.

For many of us this is our first time trying to get back in shape. And don't forget, just because you may be "skinny" doesn't mean you are in shape (which is what one of the previous posts was eluding to). A "skinny" person could have just as many health problems as a "fat" person, which, might I add is a label. People have names, they shouldn't be grouped into these stereotypical groups like "fat" and "skinny" and "cute" and "ugly". That's the first problem, and if we work to stop it here-- we will be able to carry it into our lives and start practicing what we preach.

My point is just, don't get annoyed-- help the people that need help, and if they don't want it, then it is no longer your issue as their MFP friend. We're all here to support, motivate, and inspire one another... posts and blogs that are negative like this just don't do anyone any good. When I'm annoyed with someone, I simply delete them-- that;s all you have to do.

Good luck :)
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    To answer the question, no I dont get annoyed when I see really skinny people on here, or anywhere for that matter.

How someone looks and how much they weigh just isn't something I get annoyed by.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I'll comment from the other side. :) I'm a size 4 (in part bc I have small hips), and have a healthy BMI (though just above mid-range normal) and muscle - wonder if I'm the kind of person you're talking about. I wonder if people get annoyed when I talk about wanting to lose weight, though in real life, the majority of the time the friend I'm talking with wants to lose weight, too, and seems to be relieved that it isn't just her. I think there are very few people in this country - even the healthy-weight ones - that don't wish to be in better shape of some kind.

I don't think I have an eating disorder, but I have very slowly gained weight since college and I'd like to get in better shape to see my abs, feel more confident in a bikini, and be able to run a 5K in under 30 minutes. I'd also like to work on healthy habits now, so that that slow weight increase doesn't continue and bite me ten years from now. I'm really thankful for the body I already have, though I'm so close to a body I'd be even more proud of - so why not truly go for it?

I also really like MFP because it helps me with my emotions - logging my calories encourages me to deal with my emotions directly rather than to eat because of them... which helps me with other areas in life, in general. It also encourages me to be healthy in general... when health isn't a priority for me, I start drinking enough Diet Coke that my stomach hurts the next morning from it, and that's no good... healthy BMI or not. :D

Plus, knowing that I can do this one thing would give me more confidence for accomplishing other goals in my life. :)

I really love MFP. I think healthy habits - eating and exercise - and a community to support that and make that more possible - is a key area that, when mastered, just really improves everything in my life all-around. Thanks, MFP! :D
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly, after traveling to Europe an other parts of the world who are not dealing with an obesity epidemic of the same magnitude as the US, I've realized that Americans have a strange view of what is a "healthy" weight. We are so used to seeing people who are overweight that we think people who are healthy weight are "too thin." Not saying this is what is going on with the OP, but just making a related remark.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly, after traveling to Europe an other parts of the world who are not dealing with an obesity epidemic of the same magnitude as the US, I've realized that Americans have a strange view of what is a "healthy" weight. We are so used to seeing people who are overweight that we think people who are healthy weight are "too thin." Not saying this is what is going on with the OP, but just making a related remark.

This is so true.
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    No. I don't see the point in being jealous because someone is in better shape than I am. I don't know their story, it may be terrible. Not everything is perfect just because the outer packaging is immaculate.
    exactly!!
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The only time I get annoyed with people saying it is when they know they look good but say they don't/they need to lose more weight just for attention. >< (Referring to SOME people, not everyone.)
  • velarneyraptor
    velarneyraptor Posts: 94 Member
    Options

This is so true. I went to Korea for a 3 weeks and I was amazed by the amount of thin people and really sprightly people 70+... an old lady was doing hula hoops with a bit of black garden tubing outside her apartment when I went to visit a friend... turns out she is 80!! Apparently alot of older people exercise in this way and it keeps their body "in balance" because it requires full body coordination.

My parents are both overweight - obese. everywhere we went the little stall holder ladies were trying to sell my mum "BIG SIZE!!", or L - XL in Australia (AUD/UK 16, US 14) which was something like XXL - XXXL for them. Most womens clothing is only a "one size fits all" (small/medium) which ranges between AUS/UK XS - S (~6/8 and 8/10) or a US S - M ~4/6 and 6/8.

When I got back to Australia, people I used to think were an acceptable weight started looking really unhealthy.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

This is so true. I went to Korea for a 3 weeks and I was amazed by the amount of thin people and really sprightly people 70+... an old lady was doing hula hoops with a bit of black garden tubing outside her apartment when I went to visit a friend... turns out she is 80!! Apparently alot of older people exercise in this way and it keeps their body "in balance" because it requires full body coordination.

My parents are both overweight - obese. everywhere we went the little stall holder ladies were trying to sell my mum "BIG SIZE!!", or L - XL in Australia (AUD/UK 16, US 14) which was something like XXL - XXXL for them. Most womens clothing is only a "one size fits all" (small/medium) which ranges between AUS/UK XS - S (~6/8 and 8/10) or a US S - M ~4/6 and 6/8.

When I got back to Australia, people I used to think were an acceptable weight started looking really unhealthy.

I was in Spain last year at 230 lbs. My luggage with all my clothes got lost, and I could not find any clothes to fit me. The XL size in Europe is more like a large medium in America.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I only get annoyed by judgmental people.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I have much better things to worry about.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I started worrying about my weight and trying to lose weight before I had a weight problem. I really thought I was fat at 105 pounds size 6. I believe that trying to lose weight when i was normal is what messed me up in the first place. So I do worry about them, try to give them gentle warnings, but at the same time don't push it because who am i to judge and i wouldn't have listened to anyone way back when.
  • harley_rose
    Options
    Well, look at it this way. You saying you're annoyed by skinnier folks on MFP is equally as bad as the skinny folks posting something about how they're annoyed by all the fat people. Do you know what kind of reaction that would ensue? That person would be in for a world of angry messages.

The point I'm trying to make is, you can never judge a book by it's cover... or condemn someone for trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Mannnny women and men suffer from bodydismorphic disorder--which is what you see in the mirror, and what really exists are two very different things. A lot of what we do here, and in the weight-loss world, is strictly psychological. Mind over matter. The only thing you should be concerned with is YOUR health and weight loss. If others seem like they are moving in the wrong direction, try to help them, don't get annoyed.

For many of us this is our first time trying to get back in shape. And don't forget, just because you may be "skinny" doesn't mean you are in shape (which is what one of the previous posts was eluding to). A "skinny" person could have just as many health problems as a "fat" person, which, might I add is a label. People have names, they shouldn't be grouped into these stereotypical groups like "fat" and "skinny" and "cute" and "ugly". That's the first problem, and if we work to stop it here-- we will be able to carry it into our lives and start practicing what we preach.

My point is just, don't get annoyed-- help the people that need help, and if they don't want it, then it is no longer your issue as their MFP friend. We're all here to support, motivate, and inspire one another... posts and blogs that are negative like this just don't do anyone any good. When I'm annoyed with someone, I simply delete them-- that;s all you have to do.

Good luck :)

Well said. for years I was underweight to the point of unhealthy..... I was constantly told to eat, I did eat..I was called so many names for being skinny... yet no one knew the unlaying issue... Now here I am over weight yet ppl don't tell you to stop eating when they see you are over weight..
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

I was in Spain last year at 230 lbs. My luggage with all my clothes got lost, and I could not find any clothes to fit me. The XL size in Europe is more like a large medium in America.

I completely agree. I live in Japan and what is considered overweight here is seen as "skinny" in the U.S.

I am already "skinny" by American standards, but I want to be skinny by Japanese standards.

I have never been overweight by U.S. standards, and even in Japan I am often called "thin," however, I want to be thinner -- skinny.

Just because someone is thinner than you does not mean they are more comfortable in their bodies. I am losing weight not just because I want thinner limbs, but I want a thinner face. I am extremely conscious of this, and part of the reason I am on this diet is to get out of a $20,000 surgery that I would have to get to achieve the same results that being thinner would bring (my face shape).

If you do not want friends who are already thin and still trying to lose weight, maintain, or become more fit...you do not have to.

I also do not appreciate receiving warnings from people about how I should not be losing weight etc. There are plenty of people in real life who will let me know if I get too thin. There are people whos final goal weight/success photos I feel are still overweight, but I keep my mouth shut because what matters most is that these people are finally happy with themselves. I would hope that people would do the same for people such as myself whos goal might be underweight.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    well according to the bmi chart, last year i was underweight by 10lbs and that was with some muscle :P
    fitness means being in contest shape for a bodybuilder or power lifter/strongman. Sometimes bodyfat has to be below what is "normal"
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I'll comment from the other side. :) I'm a size 4 (in part bc I have small hips), and have a healthy BMI (though just above mid-range normal) and muscle - wonder if I'm the kind of person you're talking about. I wonder if people get annoyed when I talk about wanting to lose weight, though in real life, the majority of the time the friend I'm talking with wants to lose weight, too, and seems to be relieved that it isn't just her. I think there are very few people in this country - even the healthy-weight ones - that don't wish to be in better shape of some kind.

I don't think I have an eating disorder, but I have very slowly gained weight since college and I'd like to get in better shape to see my abs, feel more confident in a bikini, and be able to run a 5K in under 30 minutes. I'd also like to work on healthy habits now, so that that slow weight increase doesn't continue and bite me ten years from now. I'm really thankful for the body I already have, though I'm so close to a body I'd be even more proud of - so why not truly go for it?

I also really like MFP because it helps me with my emotions - logging my calories encourages me to deal with my emotions directly rather than to eat because of them... which helps me with other areas in life, in general. It also encourages me to be healthy in general... when health isn't a priority for me, I start drinking enough Diet Coke that my stomach hurts the next morning from it, and that's no good... healthy BMI or not. :D

Plus, knowing that I can do this one thing would give me more confidence for accomplishing other goals in my life. :)

I really love MFP. I think healthy habits - eating and exercise - and a community to support that and make that more possible - is a key area that, when mastered, just really improves everything in my life all-around. Thanks, MFP! :D

Well Said!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    No thin people don't annoy me because I am one of those "thin" people.

I was thin my entire life up until college.. then my eating/drinking/stress habits got out of control and I gained roughly 40 pounds. Since I am tall though, it didn't look like I was overweight or needed to lose any weight. To me though, I was a fat blob who needed to lose weight badly, but didn't want to. Now that I'm out of college and have lost 28 of the 40 pounds and am smaller then ever, I'm a lot happier.

Do I judge people for being overweight? No.. because it's not my place to judge them. Being on both ends on the spectrum puts my perspective in order.