"Real" Eggs vs Egg Beaters?

Options

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I buy the "whites only" egg beaters and use a serving of that beaten in with one whole "real" egg. Stretches the calories further if I'm making an omelet. I feel so wasteful when I only use the whites of the "real" egg and toss the yolks out, so this works best for me.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm using the fake eggs now, but with good reason. Yes, like the other folks, I'm not convinced that they're all their cracked up to be as an egg substitute (pun intended).

Here's my deal though, I use the fake eggs have lower calorie/lower cholesterol, which is more important to me at this time. I get the kind that are already portioned to make 2 egg omelets, so I'm not making 4 egg omelets with shell eggs. Not having shell eggs in the house also keeps me from making frittatas and getting my bake on. Oh... tis the season to bake... And man... can I bake. If I have the ingredients, it's soooo happening. So by not having real eggs in the house, I'm less likely to create a festival of desserts.

So that said, fake eggs serve a purpose. On the plus side of them, they're lower calorie and lower cholesterol than shell eggs, so I'm going along with it.

I do look forward to the day I feel I can trust myself a dozen shell eggs in the house.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    I vote REAL egg,, the one with shell
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I too have no idea what egg beaters are but I find it very hard to imagine anything quicker or more convenient than an egg
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    We do egg beaters.
    Egg Beaters do not contribute much more sodium than whole eggs. A serving of Egg Beaters provides 115 milligrams of sodium, while 1/4 cup of scrambled whole eggs provide 110 milligrams. Egg Beaters are seasoned, but additional fresh herbs enhance the taste of scrambled eggs and omelets, and when used instead of additional salt, remain a low-sodium choice.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Real is always better. I only ever use real eggs. :) Usually home grown or from the chicken barns where my friends work.
  • Kimbers70
    Kimbers70 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I was just having this conversation the other day with a friend! Yes, protein is great for breakfast since it does keep your body fuller longer. And I say crack the egg! Everyday for breakfast (usually) I have 2 eggs and 2 strips of bacon and I am good to go until lunch.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You know where real eggs come from, right? Ew... :wink:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    It makes me happy to see so many people loving on whole eggs. The yolks are so nutritious!

As far as those who want to toss yolks for whatever reason, I wonder if buying Egg Beaters is any less wasteful than just throwing the yolks away yourself? I mean, the yolks had to go somewhere, right? Either you throw them out or pay a company to throw them out for you (or, more likely, they save them and use them in some other food product so they make 2x the money on 1 egg). Anyway, I'm not criticizing anyone's choices by any means, it's just something that I used to think about back when I was into eating eggs sans yolks.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    i use "just egg whites". actually i add that to one whole egg. i feel too guilty dropping yolks down the sink!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It makes me happy to see so many people loving on whole eggs. The yolks are so nutritious!

As far as those who want to toss yolks for whatever reason, I wonder if buying Egg Beaters is any less wasteful than just throwing the yolks away yourself? I mean, the yolks had to go somewhere, right? Either you throw them out or pay a company to throw them out for you (or, more likely, they save them and use them in some other food product so they make 2x the money on 1 egg). Anyway, I'm not criticizing anyone's choices by any means, it's just something that I used to think about back when I was into eating eggs sans yolks.

I've done the math. In my grocery store, it's cheaper to buy a dozen eggs than a carton of egg beaters (the equivalent of 8 eggs). And I find them more versatile; you can't hard boil egg beaters.
  • gmrgirl
    gmrgirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just use egg whites. I put the yolks aside as my roommates use them to make custard and other items that call for yolks only. I have found I prefer the whites only
  • dryfli
    dryfli Posts: 39
    Options
    real eggs. from chickens that run around locally. i am blessed to live where lots of neighbors keep chickens. there is alot to be said about free roaming chickens that can eat whatever is around the coop....the eggs are more healthy for you. in the grocery i pay about 1.50 or so for regular eggs. free roaming local eggs run about 3 bucks a dozen. so worth it i think. i usually buy 3 or 4 cartons at a time. i eat about 8 eggs per week or so and my last cholesterol was 126. and i eat butter too. just not alot of it. for those of you that just want the whites, not the yolks, scramble em up and give them to the dog. so good for their coats!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    At work I eat egg beaters - because the eggs are the ones that come in the carton and are pre-scrambled. At home, I eat regular brown eggs. If I'm being mindful - I either make my eggs separately so the measurement is accurate or I use egg whites for mine alone. I feel better if I eat beaters rather than just whites, though - they seem more filling and I don't get as hungry quicker. I think they have more protein.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I like them both!
    The nice thing about egg beaters is the convenience and I can use the 100 calories I save on a cookie :happy:
    I am not worried about eggs and cholesterol or FAT for that matter, I'm just "calorie conscious" So when I can save a few calories here and there, I do.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I've read all your reply's thus far and do not see "Dr." or "Certifed Nutritionist" next to any of the names. I agree that "natural" foods are always the best choice, although we are all trying to lose weight our reasons could be different. If hight cholesterol is a MAJOR factor in your reason for the weight loss, check with your doctor. Be sure to tell him/her the quanitity of eggs you normally consume in an average week. The the doctor can guide you to the right decision.

I always love these kinds of responses.

OP asked on a public forum. I think she knew that she wasn't going to be talking to a thread full of doctors.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    i agree that real eggs are better for you,,,,but i will use egg beaters when I need to save on cals, and egg subs. when I need just the whites (cuz it's easier)!

real eggs are better for you, cheaper, and you can do more with em :)
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've been eating real eggs forever. We have our own chickens, so they're always fresh. Last week we had a health fai, and the nurse told me I had the lowest cholesterol number she had seen all day. Years ago I had high cholesterol, but it has gone done since I started eating better and lost the weight. For me, at least, whole eggs don't negatively affect my cholesterol levels.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I thought the cholesterol in eggs didn't actually contribute to high cholesterol in the body? High cholesterol has never been an issue for me (though I eat a lot of eggs!), so I've never looked to deeply into it, I'm sure someone else knows. And Dr.s generally really aren't that educated on nutrition. :)

Anyway, I always error on the side of real. Just eat real food. Eat the egg. :)
  • kgcart
    kgcart Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters are good on the convenience scale, but real eggs are always best! ;-)

Agreed! Go Air Force!!!