Barefoot runners?

Options

Replies

• FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    I do most of my working out barefoot.
    I am not a huge fan of running... but I've ran barefoot on a treadmill before.
    No additional aches or pains that I recall.
  • meatball
    meatball Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    the foot should strike heel first and then roll onto the ball to provide the natural cushioning effect that our feet provide.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Check out coverage of the Boston Marathon on Monday! I heard on NPR yesterday that there are some barefoot runners planning to participate this year.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Interesting debate! I think, however, that the Kenyans' dominance may be more due to genetics than running barefoot!:smile: Also, do they run barefoot by choice or necessity??
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    True enough about the Kenyans. And also the fact that not many of them can afford running shoes may play into it.

BUT

I decided I was not at the knowledge level that I could be with regards to this topic, so I did a little research, and lo and behold (big shocker), it looks like I was wrong. Lots of studies out there actually concluded that running shoes are actually worse for you then running barefoot. That's not to say you should start running barefoot through the streets, as there's still rocks, glass, nails, and other debree that can harm you easilly. But apparently, if you can run on a treadmill or some other smooth surface that you are sure has no debree on it, there are some structural changes that happen that can reduce both acute (like ankle sprains) and chronic (like planar faciitis) injuries. I guess the supporting soft tissue on the sole of the foot flexes more and the skin hardens after prolonged barefoot running. This reduced arch problems, increases tendon strength in the arch and ankle, and promotes correction for pronation. All really good to know for me as I have a pretty pronounced pronation of the arch. I might have to give it a try on the treadmill in my house.

Hey, I ain't too proud to admit when I'm wrong.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I was a ballet dancer, and so when I run, I run mostly on the balls of my feet...I think because I was used to being on my toes. I think it would not be good for me to try to run barefoot.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I was a ballet dancer, and so when I run, I run mostly on the balls of my feet...I think because I was used to being on my toes. I think it would not be good for me to try to run barefoot.

While not the "usual" form for most people, what feels natual for you is what it is. As long as there's no pain, and you aren't twisting your foot during the motion, I don't see an issue. A side note though, I imagine running barefoot would probably force you into a more traditional running patten over the long run. Whether this is somehing you want or not, I don't know. I'm just guessing, but the studies I read all indicated that running barefoot actually corrects a lot of stride problems.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options

While not the "usual" form for most people, what feels natual for you is what it is. As long as there's no pain, and you aren't twisting your foot during the motion, I don't see an issue. A side note though, I imagine running barefoot would probably force you into a more traditional running patten over the long run. Whether this is somehing you want or not, I don't know. I'm just guessing, but the studies I read all indicated that running barefoot actually corrects a lot of stride problems.

Hmmm, I don't know. I would be nervous to do it outside, but maybe one day I'll try it on the treadmill. I'm not worried about how I run...I've been running regularly since last summer with no injuries of any kind, I'm never sore unless I run a particularly long or hard run...no problems with my knees or shins or calves or feet....so the way I run I guess isn't an issue! Why fix it if it ain't broke, right? :wink:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Just be careful, running constantly on the balls of your feet is begging for issues with your Achilles tendon :frown:
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Remember, our feet are designed for SPRINTING not for long runs, we don't balance all that greatly when we jog, nor are our bodies aligned very well for it.
    Would you also be willing to say that the human foot is made for distance running - not sprinting. I didn't want to argue with you earlier but I believe that that statement is incorrect and should be corrected.

In a sprint out bodies are tilted even further forward than in a jog and therefore even more out of balance. The arch of the foot provides a spring effect. When sprinting the runner runs more on the balls of the feet. In distance running (jogging) the runner should land more mid-foot. We are built more for the long haul more so than speed.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Remember also Nike and it's counterparts are a billion dollar industry and have told us a good shoe will correct foot problems when in fact 'no shoes' will correct many a foot problem.

I decided I was not at the knowledge level that I could be with regards to this topic, so I did a little research, and lo and behold (big shocker), it looks like I was wrong. Lots of studies out there actually concluded that running shoes are actually worse for you then running barefoot. That's not to say you should start running barefoot through the streets, as there's still rocks, glass, nails, and other debree that can harm you easilly. But apparently, if you can run on a treadmill or some other smooth surface that you are sure has no debree on it, there are some structural changes that happen that can reduce both acute (like ankle sprains) and chronic (like planar faciitis) injuries. I guess the supporting soft tissue on the sole of the foot flexes more and the skin hardens after prolonged barefoot running. This reduced arch problems, increases tendon strength in the arch and ankle, and promotes correction for pronation. All really good to know for me as I have a pretty pronounced pronation of the arch. I might have to give it a try on the treadmill in my house.

Hey, I ain't too proud to admit when I'm wrong.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    This reduced arch problems, increases tendon strength in the arch and ankle, and promotes correction for pronation.

I've read this thread today, and thought that I must be a weirdo because I kept thinking that it would feel good on my feet to run at least for a little while barefoot.

My arches get pretty tight sometimes and I was thinking about how it would probably stretch them out.
  • chelseachick
    Options
    I have no idea if it is healthy or not. When i was in highschool (a very long time ago) I ran track in my barefeet. I was the only one - it seemed right aand normal for me - and I was very fast....I couldn't get used to the cleats!
    So I say...listen to your body...it will tell you what feels right!
    good luck.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If you can find the podcast - hereandnow had 2 of the runners who will be running the Boston Marathon barefoot on todays show (4/17/09)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Remember, our feet are designed for SPRINTING not for long runs, we don't balance all that greatly when we jog, nor are our bodies aligned very well for it.
    Would you also be willing to say that the human foot is made for distance running - not sprinting. I didn't want to argue with you earlier but I believe that that statement is incorrect and should be corrected.

In a sprint out bodies are tilted even further forward than in a jog and therefore even more out of balance. The arch of the foot provides a spring effect. When sprinting the runner runs more on the balls of the feet. In distance running (jogging) the runner should land more mid-foot. We are built more for the long haul more so than speed.

Ahh, I wouldn't be willing to say that.
    I don't know about you but when I sprint, I'm in absolute full control. I balance far better on the balls of my feet then on my heels (as do most humans). As an example, put your feet together, close your eyes, and stand straight up on your full foot, now have someone push you. Quite easy to fall over isn't it? Now perform the same function on the balls of your feet, far harder.

What I would be willing to say is that we have evolved to a point of adequacy in distance running. Remember, we (quite recently in evolutionary terms) developed a heal and arch to compensate for our move from quadruped to semi-biped to biped. Sprinting still takes in the natural forward leaning motion our legs were originally designed for. our bodies were never really originally designed for 2 legs, and we are still evolving to get that right.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Hello everyone, newbie here. I run on my treadmill barefoot. My feet are very strong and I haven't had any injuries. I warm up for about 5 min by walking forward and backwards and then slowly increase speed. I run for about 4 to 5 miles 4 times a week. When I am outside I am mostly barefoot as long as I am in my yard or neighborhood. If I go any further or I am driving I put on shoes (but my feet despise shoes of any kind, so I take them off as soon as I can). I like all the different sensations I get through my feet (grass, sand, dirt, hot pavement, mud, water puddles). I hiked barefoot for a bit but was too scared of snakes, so I put my shoes on. My feet are not disgussting. They are softer and leaner than when I used to wear shoes. My kids spend their time mostly barefoot.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Ahh, I wouldn't be willing to say that.
    I don't know about you but when I sprint, I'm in absolute full control. I balance far better on the balls of my feet then on my heels (as do most humans). As an example, put your feet together, close your eyes, and stand straight up on your full foot, now have someone push you. Quite easy to fall over isn't it? Now perform the same function on the balls of your feet, far harder.

What I would be willing to say is that we have evolved to a point of adequacy in distance running. Remember, we (quite recently in evolutionary terms) developed a heal and arch to compensate for our move from quadruped to semi-biped to biped. Sprinting still takes in the natural forward leaning motion our legs were originally designed for. our bodies were never really originally designed for 2 legs, and we are still evolving to get that right.
    Try jogging on your heals....almost impossible...but I give up..........I can see we are never going to agree on this one so I'm outta here. Opinion stated as fact ....nevermind....
  • Yewkon
    Yewkon Posts: 34
    Options
    I remembered this topic from a few days back... today I saw an article which covers this issue perfectly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/49598-barefoot-runners

I'm not a runner, but I do all my workouts in barefeet - cardio and strength. It stems from my old martial arts training days where we always were in barefeet.
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So, I know that this is an old post - but I decided to try running in my bare feet just to test the theory. I decided to run a mile.

Forget the debris on the sidewalk (because obviously this is a problem which would naturally prevent any sane person from running barefooted), as this was not really part of my experiment.

This truly is one of the dumbest things I have ever embarked upon. My feet were screaming curse words at me almost immediately (and certainly for hours afterwards), and my knee has definately seen better days. I did this on Sunday and my feet are still in agony.

If anyone is interested....I think running in bare feet is insane. Maybe this is doable on a treadmill...but I'm not going to try it. LOL.
  • Yewkon
    Yewkon Posts: 34
    Options
    I just realized I posted the wrong link (it went back to this message topic)

Here's the correct link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

and here's another one that supports bare feet:

http://nymag.com/health/features/46213/

I think running a mile in bare feet, if you've never done anything like that and wear shoes all the time is probably too much at once. Wearing shoes weakens your feet. Running a mile in bare feet, cold, is sort of like going from couch potato to a 5k runner in a day. You probably did too much too soon.