Diet soda..

Options
How do yall feel about consuming diet sodas. Any thought or experiences on whether it affects weight loss.

Replies

• ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero everyday, I hasn't affected my weight loss so far!
    When it does then I will have to think about cutting down.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    IMO- not the best, but not the worst. I'm pretty much addicted to one per day, and I think there is no problem with that. Maybe some day I'll quit but I'm working on other stuff first!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I get on a random diet soda kick now and again. I don't see a problem personally. The carbonation keeps me full, and it completely kicks my sweet tooth.

You will probably get about 15 comments about how you are just drinking chemicals and should stop immediately. I personally don't see a problem.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of places you can go for more detailed, more scientific explanations, but I can think of at least two ways diet sodas create problems for weight loss. First, they may be high in sodium, which can cause you to retain bloat water. Second, they almost always contain artificial sweeteners, which have been proven to cause cravings for fatty, salty, sweet food. it's a fact that people who eat a meal while drinking diet soda will eat more food. Not to mention all the other chemicals in diet soda that are also bad for other, non-weight loss facets of your health. Let's face it... it's not *really* food at all. It's chemicals. I still indulge once or twice a week, which is too much, but I'd definitely say not to do it daily!
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I check the label of everything and simply try to avoid things with sugar and chemicals. In my eyes Stevia>Sucralose>Apartame>Sugar and all its forms. This works best for me, and it's what most of the research I've read has brought me to believe.
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options
    I figure out of all the vices to have, drinking diet soda or even coffee (without all the sugar and stuff) can't be all that bad.
  • erinmac0211
    erinmac0211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    They are horrible for you, if not worse than regular soda in moderation!
    The artificial sweeteners they use in them are bad for your health, can make you eat more in a sitting, and may possibly be linked to diseases and other health problems.
    Have a normal soda if you MUST but very infrequently.
    I've cut soda out of my diet for 2 years now and I haven't had any regrets, I love water haha
  • amsandin
    amsandin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely no expert, just someone losing weight who drinks diet soda. I probably have 1-2 diet soda drinks a day and they haven't seemed to effect my weight loss at all. I've been losing consistently for over 5 months now. However I still drink at least 8 cups of water a day and follow my MFP calorie guidelines almost every day. I've heard it can cause people to feel hungry quicker, but I haven't really noticed. I also believe everyone is different so even though it doesn't seem to have a negative effect on my diet it could for others, but I thought I should share.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Pepsi Max every day and I was losing weight, so I didn't think there was a problem. Until I decided to try going without it. Doubled my weight loss.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero daily. 3-6 cans. Helps me feel full throughout the day. I do bloat a little, but nothing some water can't fix. It doesn't hinder my weightloss at all. Just look at my ticker :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would care much about is the sodium since thats the hardest thing for me to control.
    If you don't care about the sodium and the artificial sweeteners -- then drink away.

If that's the only way you can get enough fluid every day, its better than not getting enough fluids.
  • josiesumerlin
    Options
    I feel like it makes me hungry after plus it gives me a headache. They are terrible for you, that being said I still drink one once in awhile for the fizz affect lol..
    Options
    They are horrible for you, if not worse than regular soda in moderation!
    The artificial sweeteners they use in them are bad for your health, can make you eat more in a sitting, and may possibly be linked to diseases and other health problems.
    Have a normal soda if you MUST but very infrequently.
    I've cut soda out of my diet for 2 years now and I haven't had any regrets, I love water haha

Told you ^^
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    It's been a long-contested topic. Check out the "Search" link at the top of this thread to see what folks have opined in the past.
  • sheilamcd329
    sheilamcd329 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i REALLY APPRECIATE YALLS OPINIONS! THANKS SO MUCH. IT HELPS ME FEEL FULL TOO THATS WHY I WANT ONE BC I AM SO HUNGRY. UGH
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    I kicked the soda habit 2 months ago. I have to tell you it has not affected my weight loss however it HAS affected so much more!

I no longer crave carbs!

I no longer have acid reflux!

I am no longer bloated ALL the time!

I no longer go into a panic when there's no Diet Mt. Dew in the house. I reach for a glass of water instead! I'm never OUT of something to drink!

Did I mention I no longer CRAVE carbs??!!

My hunger pains are actually because I'm HUNGRY not because I need another carbonated beverage full of salt -

I can not tell you how HAPPY I am that I gave up the Soda! The lbs are coming off slowly, but that's only because I am not exercising-they are moving in the right direction at a slow steady pace.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking one right now......moderation is key.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I kicked the soda habit 2 months ago. I have to tell you it has not affected my weight loss however it HAS affected so much more!

I no longer crave carbs!

I no longer have acid reflux!

I am no longer bloated ALL the time!

I no longer go into a panic when there's no Diet Mt. Dew in the house. I reach for a glass of water instead! I'm never OUT of something to drink!

Did I mention I no longer CRAVE carbs??!!

My hunger pains are actually because I'm HUNGRY not because I need another carbonated beverage full of salt -

I can not tell you how HAPPY I am that I gave up the Soda! The lbs are coming off slowly, but that's only because I am not exercising-they are moving in the right direction at a slow steady pace.

Just wondering....how much did you drink a day before you quit?
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Eh. There are worse things, there are better things.

It's a personal preference, really.

I stopped drinking any kind of soda completely but only because diet anything taste disgusting to me. The diet version tasted like a flat version of the original and that's one thing I can't stand so I stopped drinking them altogether.

Occassionally I will take a sip of soda here & there just to get a taste, but that's very rare.
    Options
    Downside is that it bloats you though I do agree with that. So when people cut it out they see a big "weight" loss. Not necessarily fat loss though