What has food shocked you?

Options

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    oh god, one night i had a weak moment. I had a couple handfuls of those semi sweet chocolate chippits ... come to find out later, i ate roughly 500 calories. 70 calories = 1tbsp of those. BRUTAL
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    i also decided one night to have a "treat" from DQ and decided instead of the brownie blizzard, i'd go with (what i thought was less) the brownie earthquake. Come to find out THAT had 900+ calories (foundout after i ate the whole darn thing) ...i cried LOL
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    oh god, one night i had a weak moment. I had a couple handfuls of those semi sweet chocolate chippits ... come to find out later, i ate roughly 500 calories. 70 calories = 1tbsp of those. BRUTAL

Those were a total shocker for me too! I used to grab a handful thinking that was better than a cookie or small candy bar - not so much! I'll have an Oreo or two for those calories!
  • SandyBaldwin
    SandyBaldwin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt - I was stunned at the 100 calorie difference between a french vanilla (97) to the same brand in a fruit flavour (187)

Bread - Wicked stuff.

Pizza - Although, for those in Australia, I have found the Coles deli made pizza's ok. I have two slices (supreme) with salad and I got a 300 cal dinner. OIf I eat three slices (which is not usual) I then go for a solid walk after dinner.

Any take away - Even a 6" from subway is pushing the lunchtime calories limit.

Milk - OMG I was stunned at the variation in calorie levels of "low fat" milk. From 80 to 190 for 250mls. If you're a tea drinker with milk, like me, then you have to watch that.

What I find so scary though, is how easy it is to eat those calories unless you are aware. No wonder I am in this position in the first place.
  • SafariLara
    Options
    The first time I looked at the nutrition facts for marie calendars chicken pot pie, my jaw hit the floor.
    2 servings in one measly pie... and over 1000 calories!

I need more than that to survive :)
  • TortoiseJosiCat
    TortoiseJosiCat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i was just staring out and i found a bag of boiled rice and black bean beef stir fry was so little together, around 350 calories!
    i've always loved chinese and japanese foods, homemade, but to find that they have less calories than i expected... now i have to learn some new recipes ;)
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I was surprised that canola oil seems to be a lot better than olive oil! I was always told that olive oil is so healthy and canola oil is just second rate.. For once the option, that tastes better, is the healthier one! :drinker:

Oh. And ketchup has calories too! Logged the sugar in my coffee and the ketchup in my food for the first time the other day and found over 200 hidden Calories.. :huh:
  • lefrance12
    Options
    I was shocked just today. Holy Crap. What gets me is the sodium! I thought I was ok to have a slice of Pizza Hut thin crust pizza and dang, almost 1100 grams of sodium and I am thinking? I will be over in sodium if I eat anything else? What gives? Not to mention the calories?:noway: :angry:
  • mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    i was just staring out and i found a bag of boiled rice and black bean beef stir fry was so little together, around 350 calories!
    i've always loved chinese and japanese foods, homemade, but to find that they have less calories than i expected... now i have to learn some new recipes ;)

One of the first things I did when I found I needed to go on a low fat diet was to get out my japanese cookbook, I also bought a vietnamese one. Low fat food needs to be tasty!
  • kateopotato
    kateopotato Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Pancakes. I knew they weren't awesome for me but since figuring out the calories they are SO not worth it to me anymore. My boyfriend still loves them though so I will make them for him sometimes... then I make myself and egg white omlette!
  • SandyBaldwin
    SandyBaldwin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find knowing the calories can easily steer me away from a tempting food. On my weight loss journey, its been the variance in yoghurts, bread and milk. Everyday items!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake! Millionaire's Cheesecake has nearly 400 cals a serving...and a "serving" is 1/12th of the cake! I'd eat half of it without even thinking before!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! I knew it was high cal, but my 'guesstimation' of a teaspoon which the jar says is 95 calories was at least double. I actually weighed how much I spread on a slice of bread and from that day forward decided it just wasn't worth it!

I don't do peanut butter for that reason - when I only have 1600-2000 calories for that day, I can't eat a food which is over 100cals/tablespoon. No matter how healthy the fats are in it. Else, I get hungry.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles!
    In college we would eat them breakfast lunch and dinner bc they are only 10 cents a pack, then i actually looked at the back of the package.

one whole package is 380 calories... and 1660mg sodium. whaaaa!! and i ate that multiple times a day.... *shivers* ha ha ha

Yup. No more instant noodles for me.
  • taniam16
    taniam16 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Tim tams :(:( like 100 calories per biscuit :(:(:(
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I still can't believe how many calories are in an avocado. But they're good for you, so its cool :0)
  • dazeydawl
    Options
    Chips and pizza. Of course if you can eat them in moderation it's alright, but I'm unable to eat chips in moderation so I limit myself to once or twice a week and same with pizza. The calories in a slice of pizza just shocked me to the core when I first looked it up. Other things that shocked me were how few calories cucumbers/carrots and salsa have.

Great way to have pizza without the guilt is mccains ultra thin crust the one advertised as being made with all natural and pronounceable ingredients, only 160 cals per quarter of the pizza great for a cheat day
  • magcole
    Options
    Whole wheat English muffins are a better choice than "biscuits." Try an eng muffin with an egg white + 1 piece of Oscar Meyers turkey bacon for a homemade biscuit. I also do a lot of breakfast wraps -- instead of the bread.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Haha! Homemade vegan enchiladas! I made them and ate them and they were DELICIOUS! Then I entered the recipe on MFP and was SHOCKED to discover that one serving was over 900 calories! <gulp> I have since made them again, but cut WAY back on the oil the recipe called for (from 1/2 cup to 2 tbsp) and removed the flour (it was totally unnecessary) and, while they are low cal, I've cut the calories down to about 500 for a serving instead of the shocking 900!
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    Lots of food in the grocery store! I took a hard look at the grocery store isles and seeing lots of junk food! Sodas, chips, cookies, snacks, candies, ...so much junk! You could actually eliminate entire isles due to the food on them. And, then when you are ready to check out, you look at what the other person is buying. Junk!