people who LOST weight eating MORE

Options

Replies

• Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Just adding my story to the "Eat More to Lose More" chorus. I was at 1200 lost for a few weeks, then stalled for 6weeks. I was told to up my calories. I honestly thought "that is just ridiculous" But I also thought "what can it hurt.

I went to 1350 and lost 2lbs. I stuck with 1350 and eat all my exercise calories until I got within 5lbs of my goal. Then I upped my calories to 1400 and still ate every single exercise calorie and the last, supposedly impossible to lose 5lbs went off at a great clip (about .5lbs every ten days). 5'7" started at 135 and ended at 115 (yes I know that that's 3lbs underweight, don't bother setting me on fire, I'm not going any lower. This is just were my weight settled and my body seems happy at.)

I started at 39ish and was done by my 40th birthday and I've help a friend find MFP and gave her this advice and she's 65 and she had the same experience I did. Just wanted to address the "it's so much harder when you're older" thing also.

Happily maintaining for the last year. So glad I learned this.
  • shamrock75
    shamrock75 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've read about 1/2 of the posts before me, and really thank the OP for bringing this subject up! I look forward to coming back and reading the other 1/2 + more hopefully!!! Thank you all for sharing your experiences, whatever your experience may be!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Just adding my story to the "Eat More to Lose More" chorus. I was at 1200 lost for a few weeks, then stalled for 6weeks. I was told to up my calories. I honestly thought "that is just ridiculous" But I also thought "what can it hurt.

I went to 1350 and lost 2lbs. I stuck with 1350 and eat all my exercise calories until I got within 5lbs of my goal. Then I upped my calories to 1400 and still ate every single exercise calorie and the last, supposedly impossible to lose 5lbs went off at a great clip (about .5lbs every ten days). 5'7" started at 135 and ended at 115 (yes I know that that's 3lbs underweight, don't bother setting me on fire, I'm not going any lower. This is just were my weight settled and my body seems happy at.)

I started at 39ish and was done by my 40th birthday and I've help a friend find MFP and gave her this advice and she's 65 and she had the same experience I did. Just wanted to address the "it's so much harder when you're older" thing also.

Happily maintaining for the last year. So glad I learned this.
    The more I read stories like yours, the more it makes me think I must be doing something wrong...:( I was opposite. Whenever I up calories, I stop or even gain. I can't seem able to get rid of that last few pounds. Maybe because I don't do intensive workout?
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Working for me!!!! :)
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I was netting 1200 and below and gaining and losing the same 3lbs for months. I wanted to lose 2lbs a week so I did what MFP told me to do. Not being super savvy, I didn't realize that goal wasn't realistic for me being close to goal. I upped my cals to my BMR level (netting that and grossing upwards of 1900 some days) since it was within 100 cals of the deficit made from my TDEE. I was steadily losing 1lb a week right afterwards. It made me mad I wasted weeks undereating, but I'm so glad I figured it out sooner than later. I'm going through some weird water retention stuff right now, but I'm hoping to get back to losing steadily again. EAT PEOPLE! :tongue:
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I think if you workout, then you should up your calories. If you are not on a vigorous workout routine then you should keep your calorie intake lower?

Is this possibly true?
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bump: really interesting thoughts
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this will help any, but when I started using this site, I weighed 211lbs and after putting in what I ate everyday, I was eating roughly around 900 calories (mostly soda and one big meal) now I eat the standard 1200 (try to get within 10pts either way) and i'm loosing weight. I inititally wasn't eating enough, and when I started eating enough, I started seeing weight loss. I lost 12lbs the first month I was on this site, then after school started I quit loggin in and gained 6lbs back, but since re-starting back (October 22nd) i've lost the 6lbs I gained back, plus 3 more lbs :)

However, not too long ago I was on the boards and saw someone putting that they had to raise their cal intake to 1800-2000 daily b/c she hit a plateau and wasn't loosing weight anymore, but once she raised her cal intake she started loosing again.
  • kenzysmom
    Options
    I want to come back to this thread when I have a more definite answer but I think there is definitely something to eating MORE. Last week I lost 8 lbs and the only thing I did different was eating more! So after doing extensive research I've settled on trying a higher calorie goal than MFP recommends. In saying that if I ate back the calories from exercise I think ti would be pretty on target with MFP but I genuinely believe that the burn MFP gives me is too high so I have been hesitant to do that in the past. That's where the research comes in to play and I'm going to try this for a few weeks and report back. :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I want to come back to this thread when I have a more definite answer but I think there is definitely something to eating MORE. Last week I lost 8 lbs and the only thing I did different was eating more! So after doing extensive research I've settled on trying a higher calorie goal than MFP recommends. In saying that if I ate back the calories from exercise I think ti would be pretty on target with MFP but I genuinely believe that the burn MFP gives me is too high so I have been hesitant to do that in the past. That's where the research comes in to play and I'm going to try this for a few weeks and report back. :)

Yeah MFP does overestimate the burn for MOST people - come on the board and ask if you are curious or you get a high burn though. a lot of people will give you what they burn according to HRMs and you can kind of estimate off that. For the most part though I burn between 250 and 500 an hour. 500 is a very good burn and 250 is like brisk walking. If I could go faster for a full hour (like run a full hour or some other high intensity workout) I'd probably burn more like 750-850 for an hour but I can't keep up that pace.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    subscribing
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Eat more, eat less I don't seem to be losing weight so now I just eat more because it's not doing any damage either. I keep myself on a 500 calories deficit but since I burn more than 2500 calories a day total I can eat 2000+ calories a day so I don't mind. I am definitely not gaining. I am keeping track with a bodybugg that measures total calories burned throughout the day and night including BMR.
  • rebecca_lc28
    rebecca_lc28 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i will say form my OWN personal experience so far being on MFP i DONT eat back my exercise calories ( may have been a day or 2 where i have but i just up my exercise the next day to make up for it ) my intake is 1260 cal a day i have been on this web site for just over 50 days and have lost 5.1kg that's an average of 100g loss a day and i am totally happy with that and the way my weight loss journey is going for me . I think it really all comes down to the individual and what they are wanting to achieve with there weight loss journey :D
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Somebody pm me with some help.. My BMR at 180 is 1500, mfp gives me 1380 for a lb a week... I'm still loosing weight but I don't want to come to a stand still. I have ordered the book nrolfw because I want to get into a routine of weightlifting. I will only get myself motivated for cardio 2x a week... Any tips ideas look through my diary whatever... I do fast and spike... Just incase you wonder about some crazy numbers.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I initially set my goal at 2 lb a week (1200 calories) and lost in the first couple of weeks but then reached a standstill. I then revised goal to 1.5 lb a week (1350 caloies) and this time i would lose one week and gained the next so i wasn't getting anywhere. At one point I was back where I started so I decided to revise goal again to 1 lb a week (1570 calories) and I can say apart from last week when I ate abit too much, I have lost every single week. It hasn't always been a 1 lb loss, but at least there is always a loss for which I am grateful! I am not sure why it has been like this, maybe it has to do with me only wanting to lose a total of about 10 lbs.

Also, I do eat at least half of my exercise calories. How others can manage on 1200 calories a day, I don't know. When I tried this, I struggled on the days when I didn't exercise as it was impossible to stay within the calorie limit.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    weightloss is very multi facited...and to look at one thing can put things way out of perspective. Every person is built different...how much fat they carry to how much muscle they have. So why wouldnt it be differerent for each one of us when sorting how many cals in and what we burn off...that is what drops the weight plain n simple. depending on how much muscle one has, can determin how much your body burns...many factors are involved...and when someone is losing weight, it's best to get to know YOUR body and react with it...one rule for one may be completely different for another.... listen to your body...watch how it reacts and act accordingly...knowledge is power...committment and focus will get you there!!
    Remember "HEALTH IS WEALTH"
  • Lindlee2
    Lindlee2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ashleylynnexo
    ashleylynnexo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started my diet/exercise routine early-mid October, I wasn't on MFP then until recently. I lost 13 pounds in about 3 weeks by exercising once a week but only eating like under 1200 calories. The past week I started this idea I had been given. I ate pretty much whatever I wanted, but exercised fiercly. In the past week I've basically probably had around 2500 calories a day, less some days because everyone around me keeps buying pizza and stuff for dinner (sigh..) and I've lost 5 pounds. I HAVE worked out at least 1-3 hours every day. I love working out though, and I love the feeling of it even if I get sore especially that next morning. I plan on doing a different intake/workout routine every month because I believe that helps the body shed more pounds. So I believe for some people, it works. For those with a busy lifestyle it may not work, unless they are able to clock an hour or so in the gym everyday to burn at least 1000 calories. I can't go to the gym because I have an infant and her dad works all day and when he gets home I like to be in the area because since I don't work I always care for her and don't expect him to have to when he's home, except when I'm sick or something.