No carb/low carb diets

Options
2»

Replies

• mymuvee
    Options
    Wow good job!

Did you exercise during those 4 months??
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Profile says she works out daily.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I did or am doing a revised dukan diet, I did the attack phase strictly for 7 days and lost 14lb i have since kept to a mainly protein diet, I am meant to do a 1day protein 1 day protein and veg alternately but have I have deviated been going to the gym and am now down by 17lb The initial weight loss along with this web site and my MFP friends motivated me to keep going :smile:
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I'm doing keto, a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet (<20g carbs/day). I really like it - it's a lot of meat and butter and oil. It sucks not having pasta or whatever sometimes, but that's what splenda/stevia and shirataki noodles are for.

I feel pretty good on it, personally. It's great for carb-sensitive people, and people with insulin resistance. Some people find they just feel better not eating grains or sugars. You really can't do a no-carb diet, and even as low as I keep my carbs, I wouldn't advise a no carb diet unless you're eating an all meat diet, which most people can't really do. Eat vegetables. Eat leafy green vegetables, and no root vegetables (unless you're doing under 50-60g/day) and no fruits. You really get more vitamins from grass-fed beef and leafy greens than most people think.

The beginning is hard, sure. Carbs are addicting. Once you push past the physical addiction and induction sickness, it gets a lot easier and you start feeling a lot better than when you ate carbs.
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm considered low-carb, but maybe. I've been in maintenance for a while now. I try to follow a 40/30/30 calorie split as closely as possible, and I get most of my carbs from things like fruit or legumes. Sometimes I eat bread/cakes/baked stuff, but maybe only once or twice a week. Rice maybe twice a week. Some oatmeal a couple of times a week. Pasta maybe a couple of times a month. If I go a little carb crazy (parties, special occasions, eating out a lot) and I notice I've put on a kilo, I'll go completely carb free for a couple of days and I'll shrink right back down again.

I used to eat bread/baked goods/pasta/rice three times a day but I feel much better and healthier now that I don't. And I'm thinner.
  • fronc
    fronc Posts: 41
    Options
    Hey mymuvee!

Well I'm not on any particular low carb diet etc but I have cut out most processed grains like white bread/pasta/rice etc. I still eat carbs everyday, but I find sticking to brown bread etc is much more filling as it just seems more satisfying!

I've lost almost 30pounds in 4 1/2 months :)

Hope this helps
  • andy_gilfrin
    Options
    I have lost 79 pounds over the last 6 months on strick low carb. I have tried to reduce the weight every other way and nothing else ever worked for more than a few weeks for me.

If you do it be prepared for everybody to tell you not to. Do your own research, educate yourself about how your body works when doing low carb and just make sure you are eating everything your body needs in terms of nutrients.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight sticking to a no-carbs-after-6pm plan, which explains itself. It is a little difficult in the beginning espeically when you live in a family tht likes bread, pasta and all of tose carb-foods for dinner, but you will get used to it quickly and learn what to eat and what to avoid. I've been doing this for 1 1/2 years now (not always as strict as I would want to, but I'm trying and most of the time it works really great. I lost nearly 35 lbs (in connection to work-outs and a low-calorie/low-sugar diet)
    I would say, give it a shot and see if it works for you.

But I don't know anything about ketostixm, sorry.
    [/quot
    So you are saying you lost weight because you didn't eat carbs later at night? WHy are carbs more fattening at night?

Insulin fairy? :laugh:
    <
    LOL!! :D A carb is a carb is a carb!! hehe i like u'r insulin fairy.... going to memory bank that one!!
  • tristanathan
    Options
    [q[/quote]

Can you clarify? You went low carb but didn't try to limit total calories and you still lost 55 lbs? Or did you also stay in a calorie deficit? Difficult to say what exactly caused the weight loss?
    [/quote]

I didn't say that I didn't limit total calories. I did limit them. Quite a bit actually. I was doing a medically supervised low-carb high-protein diet, low calorie diet. I had to eat at least 500 calories from protein everyday. I then got two servings of vegetables or one serving of vegetables and one of fruit every day too. So, as you can tell it was calorie restricted. But, the whole point of doing the low-carb avenue was to get your body into ketosis to lose fat more efficiently. If you are interested in learning more about this diet, please see www.mediweightlossclinics.com.

When I exercised, I was able to eat more calories, so low carb, low calorie, exercise, and a determination to lose is what made it work for me. It's not meant to be a long term diet. When I reached my goal weight, I went into short term maintenance where I added both calories and carbs back incrementally. Until I went into wellness where I had to run a series of tests to determine what my body burns at rest to determine what my calorie intake should be per day if I want to maintain, gain, or lose. I was also given a set of guidelines to help determine where my calories should come (fat, protein, carbohydrates).
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I eat Primal - protein, fat, veggies and some fruit. I do eat butter and cheese which are both dairy and not really Primal. I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I don't worry so much about the calories -- I listen to my stomach. I'm not going to eat when I'm full just because I need to hit a calorie number.

It's working well for me.
  • reba971
    Options
    I have been doing low carb now for about 4 weeks and have lost about 15 lbs. I had to ease into it though, cause dipping to low carb after eating closer to 100 carbs a day makes me feel sick for a while, this time I eased into it and dropped about 10-20 grams of carbs a day until I was at 20-30 grams a day and that is where I am now. I exercise about 4-5 times a week, usually 30 minutes. Not big on exercise, I am lazy. This week I am staying at 20 grams or less because I am really trying to drop pounds before we go to Florida on vacation! The 15 pounds I have lost has not been very hard at all. I craved carbs for about the first two weeks, but now I don't even think about them much. If you Google no carb recipes you can find all kinds of good stuff to eat. I recommend broccoli if you like it because it makes me full for a long time! LOTS of people are against low carb diets. But it works for me. My doctor is who recommended it to me. It is not for everyone and if you don't do it right you will feel sick and sluggish.
  • boccpio
    boccpio Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been doing low carb for just over two weeks now. I'm down 7 pounds since I started low carbing, 13 total. The first five pounds took me about two months to lose. I have always had difficulty sticking to a low carb program...in fact, in the past I've tried low carbing a whole bunch of times and never made it past the "carb flu." For some reason, this time has been different. I feel awesome and have tons of energy. I workout like a maniac and my net calorie levels have been pretty low, so whether it's the whole "calorie in, calorie out" or the low carbs, it doesn't matter, I'm finally losing. Before, when I was only cutting calories (and exercising), I wasn't losing weight and my food cravings were out of control, especially for sweets and wine at night. That's not the case thus far...in fact, I have an office FULL of candy for some upcoming Christmas parades, and I haven't had the first piece...we're talking all kinds of chocolate up in this place, people...that's an amazing feat for me! I've cut out the alcohol completely too, as I tried drinking some red wine last Friday and it made my cravings the next day almost untolerable...it's easier to just not drink than deal with that.

For whatever reason, people get really upset about low carbing, but if it works for you and you can stick to it, I say go for it!