Is your MFP profile linked to FB ?

Options
And why or why not?

Mine isn't because .... truth be told, I'm afraid of failure and I'd hate to have to admit to the people who know me in my every day life that I had failed. Which is kind of weird because I certainly have days were I feel unstoppable. But the process as a whole is very daunting and the maintenance part has no end.

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    No. I don't want my friends knowing exactly how fat I am, when I weigh in, etc. my run logger is linked, but that's it.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to do this, other than just listing a link?

Edit: I found it. Oops.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    No - I'm not interested in talking about weight loss and fitness with my wider circle of friends on Facebook. I'd rather just share with the like-minded people here on MFP.
  • mgdiock
    mgdiock Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't because I let my body do the talking. I never see most of the people I am friends with on FB anyway. They probably don't give a rip either way.
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Mine is. I have a lot of family on FB, and it's easier to keep them updated with my progress that way. I also have very supportive friends on FB and RL that like to know how I'm progressing.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I don't. I only report it to the folks that are in this with (my friends list and another chat board).

I figure it isn't anyone's business. And I am accountable enough that I don't need to make public.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    No, I figured that none of my fb friends really wants to have my fitness shoved down their throat, besides I have twitter and four square and probably a few more linked, I don't need anything else linked to fb.
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Mine aren't linked either and for similar reasons. My close family on FB know I'm dieting and I'm OK with that. But my FB friends will find it kinda wierd that I'm on a diet. I'm male, 58 and 'why on earth would you want to do that?'. I can imagine the s******ing that would go on (not that I'm PARANOID).

On the other hand, my MFP friends don't judge me, they take me for what I am and know why I'm here. And the feeling is mutual. They support me and (I hope) I support them.

FB and MFP are two different aspects of who I am. I don't feel a need to merge them.

Edit: The word s******ing is hiding s ni gg er ing. I guess MFP doesn't like the 'N' word, even when it's used as part of another (English) word!
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Not mine as of yet.......... when I have mentioned being fat on facebook, someone always says your not fat. I tell them I am, but do not tell them how fat I am.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Nope! To many eyes waiting, just waiting to see you fail. Hey, and aren't those our friends and family? Sometimes our worse critics.

And also, I really enjoy having something that is just mine. I feel like this is a safe zone to share my weight loss successes and failures. I am very thankful to have found this site.

Wishing you all a great day!
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I only have my exercise linked to FB. I don't want the rest known.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Mine is not linked because I don't want to hear advice and comments from friends and family IRL who aren't trying to do anything about their own health. Besides that, I figure that if the changes in my body aren't enough for them to notice when they see me, then I don't need to tell them. I'm more about letting the results speak for themselves.
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Mine is. I have a lot of family on FB, and it's easier to keep them updated with my progress that way. I also have very supportive friends on FB that like to know how I'm progressing.

^this
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I liked MFP on FB, but will not link because I do not want people thinking I have an eating disorder (I don't! I just want to be thinner than I am now).
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Nope - I think of it similar to not mixing work with your personal life too much. Your coworkers don't need to know EVERYTHING about you just as my friends don't need to hear about the work I'm doing on me. Here there are many like-minded individuals who understand where I'm coming from. Also - I'd prefer my RL friends and family to see a difference and make a comment on their own accord - not because they've seen updates and know I'm working on it.
  • trenley
    trenley Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    No. In fact, nobody outside of this website knows that I use MFP. Although I know there's nothing to be embarrassed about, I would feel shameful if other people knew how much I focus one exercise and food. When anyone my age counts calories, other people immediately assume an eating disorder and refer you to a counseling center. It's a double-edged sword, pretty much.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I post on FB every 10 pounds I lose, and I also talk about some of my running on there (my races, if I have a good run I'll link it through my RunKeeper app). I've found most people to be supportive of me and proud of my progress. Just like here, if you don't want to read about it, just skip over it is how I feel!
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I only have my exercise linked to FB. I don't want the rest known.

Can you only link the exercise? I am proud of my exercise I would be happy to link that. But the weight loss, that seems like tmi. I have my foursquare linked so everyday I go to the gym people know. But I feel like what I eat is not something my friends need to know. Everyone knows I am losing weight they don't need the play by play.
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Nope, I like to keep them separate. Two sites works for me. Not all my FB friends need to know my diet/workout habits-this is dedicated strictly to that. Just my preferance
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    NO! Not because Im ashamed of my weightloss or my journey, just I HATE FACEBOOK! Terrible website