5'2" - 5'3" ladies. Starting weight, daily cals & goal?

Options
Hi

I'm looking for people to 'friend' who are the same sort of size as me. I'm 5'2.5" tall and my current weight is 135 pounds. My goal is currently 119 pounds. MFP allows me 1200 calories a day which I stick to most days (if exercising I eat back some but not all of my exercise cals - usually about half to three quarters). I'm an hourglass shape so the weight sits on my hips, upper back, boobs and thighs (the thighs only go when I've gotten really big for me - like now).

While I can lose up to 4 pounds, the minute I have one day of over indulgence (not usually more than once a week) I gain the lot back.

I'm really interested to hear what successful people are doing and to find out if anyone else is having the same problem as me. I never used to give weight loss a second thought. I'd just hit the gym for a couple of weeks and it sorted itself out. Annoying!

Replies

• aimeerowe91
    Options
    I'm 5'3.
    Current weight: 138.25lbs
    Goal weight: 112lbs
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", starting weight here was 125.6, although my highest weight was 140's I think. I'm currently 116.4 (Although weigh in is Friday, so my ticker still thinks I'm 117.8).

I had trouble when I first hit 116's, then shot back up to 118, then 119/120 for two weeks. I think it had something to do with hormones for me. I kept up just as I had before and the weight is coming back down again. My goal was 115, but now that I'm very close to that, I may keep going a few more pounds. I'm trying to get fit, and there is still a lot of excess fat in my thighs.

I found that since I kicked up my running to farther distances, the weight got started falling off again.

I have my calories set at 1300, but I try to eat all my exercise calories back (I don't always make it).
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am 5' 2.75" and am about a month into the whole process of changing life habits. I have been consistently logging food and exercise for about 15 days now. My starting weight is 218, and my goal weight is 140- 145. However, I would be happy with 150-165, as long as I feel healthy. My concern is not so much weight as it is being fit, and not having health concerns due to diet and lack of exercise. MFP says that I should be eating just under 1600 calories a day. I do tend to overeat on my calories, but I am making small adjustments here and there, so that I am not throwing my body into total shock and wanting to give up-making it more manageable for me.

Wish you all the best and success!
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    *Duplicate removed.

It's too early for the message boards to be messing with my head. LOL
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm closer to 5'4" and weight 130 lbs. My goal is 110 - I weighed that 4 years ago and it worked on my small frame. I'm also an hourglass with the hips the last to go!

I just upped my cals to 1300 and work out 5-6 times a week. Because I'm short, I have to be religious about it. The same is true of my mom. When we work out, we lose. Any slip up and it comes back. :/
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am 5' 2.5" too and when I started MFP I was at 127.6 lbs ( which is the heaviest I have been) and felt extremely sluggish. Plus I found out that although my body fat % was within normal limits, it had definitely increased in the last two years. I have working out consistently for the last 2.5 months and seen a drop in body fat %of 3% in one month! I feel a whole lot better and can fit into some of my clothes that I used to wear 2 yrs ago.
    My ultimate goal is to get to a body fat% of 18% and maybe a weight of 118 lbs. But I wont sweat it if I weigh more than that, because lean muscle always weighs more than fat. Plus skinny fat still has the same health risks as being obese.
  • blueboos
    Options
    Hey there!

I'm 5'2" and currently I weigh 130 pounds. My weight loss mission started on my 19th birthday in May this year and to date, I have lost 22 pounds. How I did it? The long, hard way: try to eat healthier and exercise. I'm still 10 pounds away from my goal weight. My goal is that on my 20th birthday, I can rock a sexy LBD!!! Weight loss is hard, for sure, but if you put your heart into it, it's definitely achievable! All the best to you!!!
  • Serrtana
    Serrtana Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm 5'2" and weight 150 or so . Like you, I also could lose weight easily and never had to worry. I new if I just ran or hit the machines it would come off. Not anymore. It's hard work to get any lbs off. So in turn, I fall off any diet after a period of time because it takes so long to lose any lbs. I lose two, gain one until the lbs all come back and more sometimes. It's a never ending battle. It doesn't help being 58. But this lbs will come off! If you want a friend you can add me. I just started up once again. Kathy
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    hey, im 5'3 and 140. i've been working toward 125, but i hate to report that i haven't had a lot of success. i'm keepin' on though because i like being active and i feel better...

but i WOULD like to see 125 sometime soon.

been here since last April!
  • Alison__
    Alison__ Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and my starting weight was 132.5 lbs, but now I'm at 123.5 lbs. I usually try to stay underneath 1000 calories, but if I work out a lot then I eat a little more. My goal is around 110 lbs, but as long as I feel comfortable in my body then my weight doesn't matter that much :)

What helped me the most was when I started weighing myself everyday. I know, this could be destructive and I am aware that my weight will vary during the day, but I check once every morning. It helps me to keep focused :) What are your tips?
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm just over 5'2 and started off at the end of July 2011 at 63kg (around 138 lbs). Now I'm at 55 kg (around 121 lbs). I eat an average of about 1500-1600 calories per day, somedays going up to 1900 and make sure never to go below 1200 a day. My goal is to be 51kg or so (112 lbs).
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and my starting weight was 132.5 lbs, but now I'm at 123.5 lbs. I usually try to stay underneath 1000 calories, but if I work out a lot then I eat a little more. My goal is around 110 lbs, but as long as I feel comfortable in my body then my weight doesn't matter that much :)

What helped me the most was when I started weighing myself everyday. I know, this could be destructive and I am aware that my weight will vary during the day, but I check once every morning. It helps me to keep focused :) What are your tips?

Under 1000? That isn't enough :/
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 3.5

Starting weight (MFP in May) - 144lb

NOW - 122 lb

I ate around 1200 NET a day for the first 12 weeks or so, and then I increased it to between 1250 - 1300. I always eat nearly ALL my exercise calories by the way!!

About a month ago I upped it again so it would be 0.5lb a week loss instead of 1lb as my weight started to stall as I became lighter. It worked exactly as I should and I lost another 2lb in the last 4 weeks.

I am now having a 2 week "maintenance break" so I am currently eating 1690 a day (again NET so I eat my exercise cals). Assuming I don't put on any weight in the next 2 weeks I will then try and go back to around 1200 for 2 final weeks to get rid of the last 2lb, as my ultimate goal is to be 119/120 lb before Xmas:smile:

It has taken me 6 months to lose 22 lb BUT I am glad it's been slow as I know I am more likely to keep it off. Also when you have less to lose it is always a lot slower, which you will probably start to realise soon.
  • alanaosu
    alanaosu Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has responded so far!

My tips are regular exercise and clean eating. The basic stuff really. I don't know if anyone else has found this but my weight seemed to creep up as soon as I moved in with my boyfriend (now husband). I wonder if men secrete a fat inducing pheromone? Lol!

On a serious note I wonder if my cals are too low at 1200. I will lose on this but one small slip up and it all goes back on overnight... Some of you seem to be doing really well on slightly higher calories.
  • KatieLowe87
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 5'3.5" and currently 213lbs - I've been using MFP for quite a while now and I've lost 22lbs so far using MFP, and 53lbs in total, but I've decided to try the forums to keep the momentum going! My weight ballooned after an accident nearly 5 years ago, and I've struggled to get it off by crash dieting, but I've found exercise has been the biggest factor in shifting the weight so far!

I would *love* to reach 160lbs - so I've got a long way to go!

I've been trying to eat somewhere between 1000-1400 cals daily (obviously aiming for 1200, but it averages out!) and exercising every weekday for 45 minutes before I go to work, usually burning around somewhere around 300 cals there.

Seems to be working - but I definitely need motivating sometimes, so please add me if you want! The more of us in it together, the more of us will be successful, I'm sure!
  • ellepottsie
    ellepottsie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and I weigh 126.

I used to be 118 but I have gained weight since become obsessed with working out. My goal has always been 113. I am hoping to get there using MFP but I have started to use a paper journal to record my food so my diary is kind of spotty sometimes. I am trying to get back into it.

I am set at 1200 calories a day. I usually eat around 1400 and I burn at least 500 (I underestimate, I think it is actually between 600 - 900 on average for the classes I do). I am hoping this will help me lose the weight I want to lose.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm 5'2" currently 126ish lbs, 34-27-36, size 2-4 jeans. I'm up a couple lbs. this week, but that is water weight from TOM. I'll likely be 125 sometime next week once the water weight is shed. I regularly gain 3-5 pounds of water weight from TOM or indulging in salty food.

My highest was over 171, so I've lost over 40 pounds. My goal is 120-125, or 18-20% bodyfat. I'm more concerned with the BF%, and the weight will be what ever it might be. I think i'm currently 23-25%. I have a medium to large frame, depending on what test you use to determine it, but definitely on the higher end of medium at the very least. I am very hourglass shaped too.

My ultimate goal is to look good naked! LOL. I eat 1500-2100+ calories a day, depending on how much I exercised. It usually averages to 1800-1900/day. I am always sure to net more than 1200 calories/day, usually net around 1500ish. If I eat too little, I don't lose weight. Whenever I let myself drop too low on calories for a couple weeks, i plateau hardcore. I'm pretty active, burning 1800 calories TDEE on my absolute laziest days. I can burn as much as 2800 as a TDEE on my most active days, and average around 2300cals/day, so 1200 calories is starving myself. I track my calorie burn all day with a BodyMedia Fit armband (same thing as bodybugg), so I'm sure that I'm burning that much!

Don't be afraid to eat ladies! Your body will thank you and you'll be much happier in the end!
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and you are where I am trying to be. I started out at 173 lbs on MFP but my highest weight was 188 lbs, that was last May. I lost 25 pounds on my own last year doing a journal similar to this but not as good. I gained 10 lbs back within a year (between October of last year and this year, because I stopped doing my journal, lol) and so far on MFP, I have lost 13 pounds in one month! So, with all that said, I am currently at 160 lbs and am looking forward to being at my goal weight, 135 lbs, by the end of February. It has been a pretty smooth ride on MFP so far, but I think the closer I get to my goal, it is gonna get a little harder. I have been logging everyday for at least 40 days straight and exercising at least 6 times a week, and it has been working like a charm. I know I've lost more this month but I will not weigh in again until November 26; only weighing myself once a month otherwise the fluctuations will drive me crazy, so I don't wanna put so much emphasize on the scale. I have had a lot of NSV's so I'm pretty satisfied with just that.:-)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    5ft 3 and half, start weight 175lbs current weight 154lbs.. goal weight 132lbs. .. MFP has me at 1210.

I've dropped from UK 20-16 which I'm thrilled with 12" off from around abdomen and 8 " off waist. .. I'd like to be 14 bottoms and I'm currently 16/18 tops. my boobs have shrunk though from 40DD to 38B! I used to wear 20's in both tops and bottoms.
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and you are where I am trying to be. I started out at 173 lbs on MFP but my highest weight was 188 lbs, that was last May. I lost 25 pounds on my own last year doing a journal similar to this but not as good. I gained 10 lbs back within a year (between October of last year and this year, because I stopped doing my journal, lol) and so far on MFP, I have lost 13 pounds in one month! So, with all that said, I am currently at 160 lbs and am looking forward to being at my goal weight, 135 lbs, by the end of February. It has been a pretty smooth ride on MFP so far, but I think the closer I get to my goal, it is gonna get a little harder. I have been logging everyday for at least 40 days straight and exercising at least 6 times a week, and it has been working like a charm. I know I've lost more this month but I will not weigh in again until November 26; only weighing myself once a month otherwise the fluctuations will drive me crazy, so I don't wanna put so much emphasize on the scale. I have had a lot of NSV's so I'm pretty satisfied with just that.:-)

Oh yeah, and I get 1200 calories a day, which I usually stick to, except for my cheat days.:-) And occasionally, I eat back some of my exercise calories, but it depends on how many I have.