Tea = Water?

Options
Ok, total newbie here. When I'm tracking my water consumption should the herbal tea that I drink be added into my water ticker?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I add mine. There are different schools of thought about it, though.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    it's a personal option... some say yes, other's say 100% no.. I personally follow that non-caffeinated beverages which contain no caloric value should constitute as water... but listen to your body, if your drinking up tea like crazy and no losing, keep an open mind to switching to pure water.
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    no, it should be tracked as just the water you drink, don't get me wrong tea is really good for you and can help you loose weight, but plain water is the best :D good luck in your weight loss journey
  • xHarleyQuinnx
    Options
    I always add herbal tea to my water ticker.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Isn't tea like 99.5% water?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'd add tea, as long as you don't put anything else in it. milk, sugar, crackers, steakums.

C15H14O64H2O = H2O
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    I do. Water/fluid/liquid all for a on
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I agree, I add mine as water.
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    , steakums.

C15H14O64H2O = H2O
    LOL
  • demonid
    demonid Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I keep my water seperate from everything else. I have another portion of my diary called "Drinks" where all the other fun things go.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Isn't tea like 99.5% water?

More like 99.99.

I will never understand why people think adding some flavor makes it not water anymore.
  • Raihaanah
    Raihaanah Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    ME TOO!..especially if I dont add any sweetners..No I add it period, regardless..lol, but i will drink an extra whatever ozs i had for the tea in water, thats just something I do.
  • gabriella_0577
    Options
    I have read and heard that you can't count tea as water because once you add the tea it changes the chemical make-up of water and thus your body treats it differently. Same as coffee can't count as water.
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I track mine separately, Isn't tea a diuretic?
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Caffinated teas are not water! because Caffine is a diaretic. Also non calorie beverage are Not water.
    Water is that Water!!!

Interesting Water Facts

We all know that water is important, but I’ve never seen it described like this before!!!!

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. ( Likely applies to half the world population). In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for Hunger. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%. One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of dieters studied in a U- Washington study. Lack of water, the 1# trigger of daytime fatigue. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should everyday???
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Yes tea and coffee are diruatics (sp). But you still drank the water.

If I put one tea bag into 2 gallons of water and drank that. I can't say I drank 2 gallons of water?
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I add mine. There are different schools of thought about it, though.

My thought is if it has caffeine no.......decaf then yes
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes. Log it as water. Your body needs 8 cups of water a day, but it doesn't care if it has tea or other stuff mixed in with it. Tea is like 99% water. Yes, it also contains caffeine which is a diuretic, but only slightly. The diuretic properties of caffeine are greatly outweighed by the water content in a cup of tea. Especially if you regularly drink Tea. Your body gets used to the caffeine and it has virtually no diuretic effect whatsoever.
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I add mine as water/liquids and then I add it in my calories because I do drink half and half. :drinker: Don't want to miss adding the calories :wink:
  • Supercatie80
    Supercatie80 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Steakums.....hadn't thought about steakum tea...who knows, could be the next thing. Better get that patented :-)

The tea I'm talking about is not caffinated like PG Tips or Lipton or anything. I'm talking about herbal teas that are made up of dried bits of fruit and flower blossoms and such. I don't even think that most of my "teas" have actual tea leaves in them....

Thanks for all the replies!

Here's another question....is there such a thing as too much water?