Accept a FR without a profile pic?

Options

Replies

• writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I won't accept unless they have SOME profile pic. It does not have to be a pic of them though.

This^ If someone doesn't want their mug all over the internet, that's their business. Just because there isn't a picture doesn't mean the member isn't "proud" of themselves.
  • FatGirlSlim899
    FatGirlSlim899 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can't understand why it is so critical to have a picture of oneself. Who cares what his or her picture is. I like guns, so that is my profile picture. My picture does not make the kind of person I am or how supportive I may or may not be.

Exactly. I have a picture I really like as my profile, not because I'm uncomfortable with myself or not 'serious' about my weight loss, but because I would rather not reveal my identity. I am a very private person, and I like to be honest on here about my past relationships with food- I suffered from anorexia for a number of years- and I would rather not have it associated with me. I have a lot of new friends and people around me, that didn't know me or know about me when I was ill, and I would rather they didn't find out about them via a website.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    That's up to you. I don't need to know what anyone looks like, though.

Your picture is beautiful. Looks just like someone I used to love. lol

His name is Finnegan.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Good point. I accept them anyway because I learned that sometimes they are the most supportive people. I've known a couple that eventually put up a pic, and they are actually my biggest fans. I ♥ you, my formerly faceless friends!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    we don't even really know if the pic or pics that are on people's profiles are really them....and a lot of times people choose to put other pics (cartoons/pets, etc...). not a huge deal to me.
  • gabriella_0577
    Options
    I can't understand why it is so critical to have a picture of oneself. Who cares what his or her picture is. I like guns, so that is my profile picture. My picture does not make the kind of person I am or how supportive I may or may not be.

Exactly. I have a picture I really like as my profile, not because I'm uncomfortable with myself or not 'serious' about my weight loss, but because I would rather not reveal my identity. I am a very private person, and I like to be honest on here about my past relationships with food- I suffered from anorexia for a number of years- and I would rather not have it associated with me. I have a lot of new friends and people around me, that didn't know me or know about me when I was ill, and I would rather they didn't find out about them via a website. Sometimes people have deeper reasons for actions than it may appear.

Well said!
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think "some kind of picture" is better than nothing. I want to know the person asking is serious enough about weight loss/health to put some effort into their profile.

the 2 of my friends which don't have pictures posted, both have not been on MFP for 3 and 11 days.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer to see a little info in the profile and no pic rather than a pic and no info.

You just inspired me to finally fill out my profile. LOL
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think a profile picture of yourself is a good idea because it will help motivate you and possibly others. My first profile picture was of me when I started. I hated looking at it everytime I logged onto MFP...BUT...that motivated me to keep pushing myself to my workouts and to become healthier. I told MFP friends that I would change it once I lost 20 lbs. So once I lost 20 lbs, I changed my picture to a before and 'work in progress' picture. So I still had that old picture up to motivate and the progress one to help me see the changes I have made and hopefully it helps others to see what hard work can do for your body.

Now I change it up sometimes to my kids or other things. However, I always seem to come back to my before and progress picture split.
  • CurlyClare78
    Options
    Mine is set up so that people who aren't on my friends list can only see the Lolcat but people who are can click on my photos to see my face. (Well I hope that's how it's set up because that's how I prefer it!)

I honestly don't mind what people's pictures are of - we're here to see the healthy foods, exercises and the numbers as far as I'm concerned :flowerforyou:
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    For realz that's me in the pic :wink:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think "some kind of picture" is better than nothing. I want to know the person asking is serious enough about weight loss/health to put some effort into their profile.

the 2 of my friends which don't have pictures posted, both have not been on MFP for 3 and 11 days.
    My profile has nothing to do with how serious I am about weight loss. I got over the novelty of filling out profiles and choosing profile pictures back in the AOL days. I'm not going to put any effort into my profile because the profile is not important to me.
  • PirateJenny
    Options
    Just to offer a different (but probably not terribly common) side of things; I do not have a profile pic because I am phobic about having my picture taken.

This may sound like an exaggeration, and I kind of wish it were, but I experience a severe (I respond to them as one might upon seeing a person coming at you with a loaded gun screaming they are going to kill you) amount of anxiety around cameras and visual recording equipment. This has been going on since childhood, family photos stop having me in them at around age 9 and I am not in any middle or high school yearbooks.

I submit to it out of sheer necessity; my DMV, work ID & passport photos look as though I am going to simultaneously faint, attempt to run away, start screaming, and vomit. So it goes.

Luckily it is not a life-altering phobia, like agoraphobia or anthropophobia, but it does annoy or frustrate people who see having ones picture taken or being in a brief section of video as no big deal or just something to grit your teeth and get over.

I have a great deal of personal, even embarrassing, information about myself on my home page and my diary is open to my friends. I am willing to chat and share even more information about myself, I just do not have a photo of myself on my page.

The cat really is my cat, she is a total photo *kitten* and has no problems displaying herself for the camera.

Forgot to summarize: There is more to a person than whether they post a photo of themselves or not and it should not be a reason to assume they are not being honest. As others have pointed out, photos people post and claim to be personal and current may not be and there is no easy way to verify that they are.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I actually like profile pictures that are something other than a head shot, it shows me a little bit about a persons personality. This is not a romance site so I really could careless about Race, Creed, Color, Gender or times you fell down the tree. We are here to support each other in a fit life style.
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    I will only accept a FR from someone who typed a message with it and has a profile pic. It doesn't have to be of them or their face but if it's just blank with no pic, I'm not accepting!
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    <---- This is actually a picture of me!
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options

You're a taco?
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just haven't taken the time to do one yet. I'm not sure how much it really matters. I friend people whether they have a pic or not, they're looking for a friend not eye candy. LOL Plus like someone else said, some people use pictures that are either not current or not of themselves - some use their pics for motivation or for fun/expression.

Might get frisky and put up a pic here soon. I just hate the hassle of dealing with different avatar specs on different forums so I rarely update the ones I do have. LOL

The funny thing is I don't actually friend-request many people, only if I know them from somewhere else or if I just really like something they've said in the forums, most of my 'new' friends are people that request *me*, just me, w/o a pic. I guess they liked something I said, too. :-)

^^^All of this! The majority of the people on my friend's list did the same thing. They reached out to me. I keep meaning to upload one and just haven't because most of the time I'm on here from work and can't upload one from my work computer.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options

You're a taco?

Not just any taco...but a PINK one........
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options

baahahaha