Am I Wrong?

Options

Replies

• smarterthanyoda
    Options
    Her idea risks offending Christians, as well as those of other faiths. I know a number of Christians who would be offended by her idea of a birthday cake for Jesus. It does not show the respect or reverence that He deserves.

Not only does she want to make this a religious event, but she wants to do it in a very unorthodox way that could bring in criticism from all sides.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have never seen a cake that says "Happy Birthday Jesus".

You weren't wrong. For children of many faiths, Christmastime is a magical time of year, filled with tales of flying reindeer and elves.
  • BeautyisBeingU
    BeautyisBeingU Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I disagree.

If you're going to allow a "Christmas" party, but refuse to allow the religious aspects of Christmas to be involved, that doesn't make sense.

If you wish to have a "Winter" party, your decision holds up. A "December is fun" party, perfect. But to call it Christmas and then try to excise "Christ" from it, doesn't hold water.

If you were to allow a Hanukkah party, you'd acknowledge it's Jewish, and have a menorah, yes? Same for other religious holidays, no matter how badly they've been shanghai'd by materialism.

If you want to leave religion out of it, then leave religion out of it. But it's rude to Christians to say thanks for the holiday, now can you strip the meaning out of it since I don't share your religion?

I'm not religious, but I dislike the way some people treat Christmas as though it wasn't sacred and deeply religious for some folks.

I understand your point. Did tell her that I think we should change the theme to say Holiday Party so that everyone could be involved. But she wants a Christmas Party.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    She can do what she pleases in her home, but the owners of your facility make the calls there.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    If it's for kids....why not put Santa on the cake? :wink:
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of everyone trying to be politically correct. It's Christmas. Celebrate it or move on. Make your own holiday if you don't like it. Do not have it on the same day, please. Errrr......
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I dunno... I imagine Jesus preferring that everyone get together in peace and unity than offending some just to make a point.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I know it isn't Christ's date of birth. I know more than the average bear about how it came to be on that date, but that part is not at issue. Christmas has become more and more secular.

But I find it very puzzling that some from the secular crowd are finding it offensive that religion is (STILL!) a part of this religious celebration.

I'm very live-and-let-live, and an important part of who I want to be is someone who is respectful of that which others hold sacred. Evicting Jesus from Christmas doesn't seem respectful towards those who hold it sacred.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    No, I believe you made the right decision given that it was to be a community party. Though I suspect the tenant was well meaning, she seemed to have missed the notion of good will to all.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    Maybe I don't know how condo associations work, but I'm assuming there's a public (rentable?) space that people can use? Unless the tenant was specifically asking for sponsorship (money, time, or a name), I don't see why the association would have anything to say about it. Would the tenant not have the right to rent the space, advertise it as a Christmas party for the children of the community, and then decorate it however they wanted to?

As long as the tenant follows the association rules, it seems like a freedom of speech issue to me. Of course, that goes out the window if she was asking for sponsorship from the association.

Again, I'm not sure how condo associations work, so I may be way off base.
  • BeautyisBeingU
    Options
    I dunno... I imagine Jesus preferring that everyone get together in peace and unity than offending some just to make a point.

^^^^^^I agree
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I know it isn't Christ's date of birth. I know more than the average bear about how it came to be on that date, but that part is not at issue. Christmas has become more and more secular.

But I find it very puzzling that some from the secular crowd are finding it offensive that religion is (STILL!) a part of this religious celebration.

I'm very live-and-let-live, and an important part of who I want to be is someone who is respectful of that which others hold sacred. Evicting Jesus from Christmas doesn't seem respectful towards those who hold it sacred.

I understand your point, but having a non-religious children's party isn't "evicting Jesus from Christmas". I have been to lots of Christmas parties and none of them had a "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Folks, she's not telling the lady not to have a party in her own home. Unless I'm mistaken, it's a community party. The admins choose how they want to go about things, and aren't about to pull religion into it. Folks can celebrate religiously in their homes or places of worship. Nobody is preventing anyone else from exercising their right to worship, and nobody is obligated to go to the community party.

I celebrate Christmas as a celebration of the birth and life of Jesus Christ, but do not expect everyone else to.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You made the right decision and handled it appropriately. This woman obviously had 'converting' other peoples children into christians on her mind....not a 'holiday party'. Quite frankly...she sounded like a nut job.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    As its spokesperson, I would always fall back on whatever the group's official policy is. Do you have one on this particular issue?

If not, then she could have called it a Christmas party, right? And she could have used any cake she wanted. She would then have had to deal with the consequences (i.e. the parents' reactions.) Then it would have been her problem. Sounds like she was looking to cause a fuss. Why would anyone even ask about a cake?

You brought this argument on yourself if there are no written guidelines in your Condo's CCRs or bylaws. You can now address this at the next meeting.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    yes, not because of anything you did or said. But because you work for an HOA. ;)
  • CaptainGordo
    Options

I understand your point, but having a non-religious children's party isn't "evicting Jesus from Christmas". I have been to lots of Christmas parties and none of them had a "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake.
    I suspect that the cake is an attempt to make a point. Lame tactic.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I've also never seen a Happy Birthday Jesus cake. If we are having a non-religious childrens party, super duper! A cake about Jesus would not be appropriate, for sure.

The point I'm making is I find it very weird when people still wish to call it "Christmas," then go out of their way to make sure there are NO religious references in the hoopla. That seems very weird to me. The comparison I make is the 4th of July. If I went around telling people that all the American flags are offensive because the holiday is about FIREWORKS! That would be similarly bizarre, to my way of thinking.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    No, you were definately not wrong. I'm also a Christian and CHristmas is 100% about the birth of Jesus for me...however I also realize that it's not that for everyone and it's especially not appropriate to try and push it on children. While I think her heart may have originally been in the right place as wanting to bring the kids together and celebrate something she cherishes so much, she is going about it all the wrong way.

Yeah what she said.
  • BeautyisBeingU
    Options
    Maybe I don't know how condo associations work, but I'm assuming there's a public (rentable?) space that people can use? Unless the tenant was specifically asking for sponsorship (money, time, or a name), I don't see why the association would have anything to say about it. Would the tenant not have the right to rent the space, advertise it as a Christmas party for the children of the community, and then decorate it however they wanted to?

As long as the tenant follows the association rules, it seems like a freedom of speech issue to me. Of course, that goes out the window if she was asking for sponsorship from the association.

Again, I'm not sure how condo associations work, so I may be way off base.

The club House is not rented out for owner or renter. Yes she is requesting money/company time/Staff Help. Owners for this property has voted not to have the club house rented out for several reasons. I have been working here about a year and it has never been rented out to anyone. But we have a couple parties a year to get the residents together. She wants to have this event not just for her family but the children in this community. There are more foreigners then American on this property. We have also had problems in the past with Christ being involved in Holidays.