Sweating

Options
Hiya,

This may be a little bit of a gross subject, but lets talk about sweating, especially when exercising!

Ive been going to the gym for a couple of months now. When I first started I hardly ever sweated. Recently though I look like ive been in the shower! Seriously, I come away from there most days looking like a drowned rat as ive been sweating so much. Is it normal to sweat more after a few months at the gym? I thought it would work the other way round and I would sweat when I first started the gym and not as much as the months progressed. I get proper embarissed some days ad im covered in sweat patches lol :D

Thoughts? Anyone else have this?

x

Replies

• Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I would think that it means you're body is working efficiently. :smile:
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lauren...if you're getting a bead on you're body is trying to cool you down faster to work more efficiently and regulate its temperature! Plus you must be working hard! :) The fitter I got, the harder I sweat-ed!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Sorry... perspired! Ladies perspire! Not sweat!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the more fat you lose the more you will sweat when exerting yourself. I'm sure there's some science behind it, but I can't be arsed. :laugh:

But yeah - same thing happened to me. I still sweated a lot when I first started working out heavily - but way more now than the beginning. I get drenched too. lol
  • Alison__
    Alison__ Posts: 107
    Options
    I also sweat a lot, and I can't recall doing that in the beginning. But I figured, since we're going to the gym in order to sweat, then why should I feel embarrassed?
  • PJFaber
    Options
    I have noticed it too. I've been told that your body is working more efficiently now.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Sweating is the body's way of cooling you down. sweating more just indicates that your more efficient at that job. In fact its usually the more fit people who sweat more despite common misconceptions.
  • Misdy
    Misdy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm the same but I like to think it's a sign that you've had a good workout. I remember years ago my trainer told me that if you're not sweating and you're not pink in the face, you're not trying hard enough! :glasses:
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Tehehe!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I find that when I drink more water, I also perspire more at the gym or in yoga class even if it's the same level of exertion.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Sweat are little tiny fat cells coming off. :)
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    I remember years ago my trainer told me that if you're not sweating and you're not pink in the face, you're not trying hard enough! :glasses:

I like this!

Maybe im just working out harder as im starting to get fitter. Its all good then! Excellent! Im going to smell and be sweaty tomorrow at the gym and love every second of it lol x
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I actually sweat a lot less then when I was heavier. I used to sweat all the time, whether I was exercising or not
  • elmsallmissile
    Options

Horses sweat, men perspire ladies merely glow!
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Sweat are little tiny fat cells coming off. :)

Really!?
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I look like a drowned rat after the gym. Its soo yuck. But I know its because Im working hard. Sweat away honey x
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    yep this happens to me too. i always end up looking like i jumped in the pool.
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options

To be totally correct....

Horses sweat

Men perspire

Women glow

LOL
  • smarterthanyoda
    Options
    The amount you sweat (er, perspire) also depends on your hydration level and the ambient temperature. If you're paying more attention to the amount of water you're drinking now you might be better hydrated now than when you were getting started. Or, the room or weather might be slightly different. It's getting cooler now, so your gym might be turning down the A/C or even turning on the heat.

Also, as you get practice exercising you get better at it so you can work out harder, which would obviously lead to more sweat.
  • kari_davis
    kari_davis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! Thanks for bringing up this topic. :)