Warning: Gross subject

Options

Replies

• Dclem1206
    Options
    SMOOTH MOVE TEA- I drink it once or twice a month because I always get "clogged up" right before my period.

Lol cause a poop thread wasn't enough
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a lot less food now, you'll have a lot less waste. Also, if you used to drink a lot of beer, beer makes you go more. If you stop that beer you're going to lose that added "incentive."
  • teamlangston
    teamlangston Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My theory is, when you're eating healthy foods, your body is able to break it down better and use it more efficiently, so there is less waste. Kind of like a fuel efficient car...higher quality fuel means less emissions. Don't know if there's any truth to that theory, but I know that the same thing happens to me. Yet, when I'm eating healthy, I can go a couple of days between BM's and still feel far less bloated than when I am going every day while eating junk food.

This is true. If you are eating foods that your body can use, then there will be less waste. Junk food has barely anything your body wants, so it just gets rid of it. Dried apricots are wonderful, and so are warm liquids. Plum juice warmed up works for my patients. I am an RN and believe me at my rehab facility, I get to know poop problems ;-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    It could have to do with how much you're eating too. Less food in, less waste comming out.

Not sure if it's true or not, but my grandmother claims that eating dried appricots every day helps with this.
    This. But some people do need time to adjust. Also make sure your hydrated.
  • kelsbeckins
    kelsbeckins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've had similar issues. I started eating much healthier a couple weeks ago and even though I'm eating WAY more fiber and drinking WAY more water, i go half as much as normal. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! It makes sense that my body is burning the fuel more efficiently and there is less waste.
  • Jmayhem69
    Options
    No, eating healthy regulates everything. You should have a bowel for every time you eat (if you eat 2x's a day, you should have 2 bowel movements).

Are you getting enough fiber? Are you eating fresh fruits and veggies? Are you drinking plenty of water?

what? if you expel every meal that is not right. To the OP, I have noticed the same thing and just chalk it up to me burning most of what I am eating resulting in less waste material to expel. I am going to up the fiber and water to see if it brings me back to normal though. I can't imagine crapping 6 times a day and thinking I am cool LOL. Isnt that textbook IBS?
  • bec_a
    bec_a Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Go easy on bananas, cheese, etc. Increase your fiber (beans, an apple, whole grains, etc) and drink more water. Most likely your body is just adjusting - likely from less water (there's water in food... and if you're eating less...). Good luck.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You should have a bowel for every time you eat (if you eat 2x's a day, you should have 2 bowel movements).
    Hmm... Don't know where you heard that, but the Mayo Clinic says: "There's no generally accepted clinical definition for frequent bowel movements. Bowel habits vary widely among healthy people. Some healthy people may have three bowel movements per week, while others may have three per day." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/frequent-bowel-movements/my00786
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Some info on bowel movements, and tips on getting things moving again: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/397439-what-about-bowel-movements
  • Munkyzilla
    Options
    I have always had the slow problem - sometimes a week at a time, and the only thing that works for me is a couple tablespoons of sugar free Fiberall every night. I've almost always ate pretty healthy, and I drink plenty of water, but no go (pun intended). If I'm not lazy and don't forget my Fiberall, I go once a day. What a relief. Those of you who have slow systems can relate, this 'irregularity' problem is not fun.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    No, eating healthy regulates everything. You should have a bowel for every time you eat (if you eat 2x's a day, you should have 2 bowel movements).

Are you getting enough fiber? Are you eating fresh fruits and veggies? Are you drinking plenty of water?

Is that right? I have never heard that before. I eat 3 meals plus snacks like fruit and I just go once. Am I going to die?

Nope, its not right - everyones bowel habits are a little different. for some people twice a week has been their 'normal' since they were toilet trained. Some people go 2-3x / day and that's their normal, and there are plenty of people in between.

I've had the same thing happen since I started eating better - I think its just that I'm eating 1000 calories a day less than I was, and there's less junk food involved, so there's less waste to get rid of.

A fiber supplement wouldn't be bad, but don't over-do that either - excessive fiber can cause bloating and cramping and gas because the fiber is being broken down by the bacteria in your gut. High fiber cereal, 1 or 2 doses of metamucil, etc - should be enough by itself. don't go overboard, and I would avoid stimulant laxatives - they can cause lots of discomfort.
  • isabellammm
    isabellammm Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was having so much trouble with my bowel movements for about a year until really recently. Basically, I was constantly constipated, bloated, and had abdominal pain a lot. I wouldn't go for like 4 or 5 days at a time, and when I did go, it was really little. I took laxatives maybe once a month when I was really fed up with how gross I felt, but after a while, even that wasn't working anymore. I decided I really needed to do something..so I did and now I poop everyday, multiple times a day!
    I make sure the first thing that touches my lips everyday is a glass or two of water. I eat plain yogurt a lot more than I used to, (even though I was already eating quite a bit), and I incorporated prunes and papaya much more into my diet. Now that I've gotten regular, I'm not as consistent with my intake of all those things, but i REALLY recommend trying that for a while..Oh! and I'm not sure if it made a difference (I think it did), but I would soak my prunes in water overnight so apparently that pulls the sugar out of them or something? Anyway, GOOD LUCK. I know exactly how you feel, and I hated it more than anything.
    Add me as a friend if you need any more advice! :-)
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing. I used to have bowel movements immediately after I ate. I used to eat fast food almost everyday and fatty foods otherwise. I stopped doing that and now I go to the bathroom about every two days. I eat way more fiber than I used to but I am not too concerned. I figured if I am going every day or two I will be fine. I have noticed anytime I eat greasy food I have to go pretty fast so it has to be my bodys reaction to the food.
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing. I used to have bowel movements immediately after I ate. I used to eat fast food almost everyday and fatty foods otherwise. I stopped doing that and now I go to the bathroom about every two days. I eat way more fiber than I used to but I am not too concerned. I figured if I am going every day or two I will be fine. I have noticed anytime I eat greasy food I have to go pretty fast so it has to be my bodys reaction to the food.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    So I've been using MFP for 3 weeks now and my bowel movements have went from once a day to once or twice a week. Should I be concerned? Does eating healthy cause you to have fewer bowel movements?
    Do you feel bloated? Does it hurt when you do move your bowels? If no, then you're perfectly normal.

To be honest when I was younger and thinner I didn't go that often... every other day or so... sometimes 2-3 days inbetween.

Then I got FAT and started going more regularly, sometimes twice a day.

Now I'm losing weight I'm going back to the old ways.

Fruit, veg and pulses should help things along, but if you're really concerned, go ask a pharmacist or visit your GP. :happy:
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    i hadnt pooped in four days and i ate 10 satsumas yesterday... i pooped
    Congrats :laugh:
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Everyday I have yougurt, apple, veggies and at least 8 cups of water and still can't go!!

Im on day 5 with no action now lol feeling very bloated :(
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy with more fibre and whole grains, and prunes, take a bolk forming laxative if you find you are still having trouble, such as metamucil. I take metamucil with two glasses of water before breakfast, lunch and dinner (if I remember). Helps to keep you fuller for longer and fills you up before meals so you don't want to eat so much. It keeps your bowels regular and soft, and also helps with cholesterol if you have cholesterol problems.
  • em_ilyc
    Options
    It's obvious. If you eat half the amount you were eating then you'll have half the poo...
  • hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was getting my flu shot today and took a moment to pick the pharmacist's brain regarding this issue. It's the fiber. He said that increasing your fiber dramatically, like we tend to do when we start eating more healthily, can have this binding effect that so many of us are experiencing. His suggestion was definitely more water and to GRADUALLY increase your fiber, not go from minimal to pedal-to-the-metal high fiber, whole grain, bark and twigs all at once. Ease into it and things will work themselves out, apparently.

At the risk of even more TMI, you know how in books and movies there's that moment when one character looks at the other and says "I can tell from the look on your face: You've had sex!" Finally bit the bullet and took a laxative and this morning at work I was sure I was sure someone was going to say "I can tell from the look on your face: You pooped!" :laugh: