Seriously Embarassing Problem

Options
2»

Replies

• abazooday727
    Options
    I had something like that a few years ago...except I had really eggy smelling burps too...I think it had alot to do with whole grains and fiber...I cut it out for about a month and have not had it since...
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I was leaning towards the dairy as well, just couldn't imagine it working that fast with the cottage cheese though. But I will cut it out for awhile and see what happens. That just stinks cause I love cheese! Hopefully that won't be the culprit!
    Same for me..I'm about the same age as you, and this problem has come on in the last couple of years. Ice cream almost kills me within a short time after I eat it! I guess that's good for my weight loss, since that's kind of off the table for me now, and no longer a temptation!
  • Bookish_Mama
    Bookish_Mama Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Okay, sorry if this is too much info for some people, but I need some ideas on what could be causing this.

For like two years, my routine meals are - oatmeal at 8am with hemp seeds and goji berries.
    almonds and 2 prunes at 11
    salad, cottage cheese and activia for lunch at 1

This 'problem' has just started maybe within the past 2 months or so.

As soon as I finish my lunch, and sometimes during I am eating it, I start getting really bad gas rumbling through my stomach. I can feel my stomach rumblng, making noises etc. I also start passing a lot of gas. By the time I am on my way home from work at 4, I am passing gas that would make any jailhouse men's bathroom smell like a rose garden. It is just awful!

So, I have tried cutting out the prunes at times, and that hasn't made a difference. Could it be a lactose intolerance that is causing it? The cottage cheese at lunch? Would it cause it that quickly?

Any and all ideas/solutions are most welcome! I work in an office and it is quite embarassing!!!
    Ask your doctor. They might recommend that you see a gastroenterologist. Sometimes problems like this can be caused by something as simple as too much (or not enough) stomach acid. A GI (or even your regular) doc will be able to help you figure out what's causing it better than someone with no medical training. I give this advice as someone who was diagnosed with Crohn's disease (with no family history of GI problems) a year and a half ago.
  • dirtyblue
    Options
    I developed a sensitivity to raw almonds and it came out of no where and my symptoms were the same as what you are stating. I roasted the almonds I already had and have been buying pre roasted almonds and I don’t have that problem any more.
    If cutting the dairy out doesn’t work, maybe try that.

Hmmm, will definetly consider that if cutting the dairy out doesn't work
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should take lactaid before eating the dairy, or try some acidophilus (sp). Sometimes you just need to bump up the good bacteria in your gut.
  • lorals05
    Options
    There could also be life factors included in your recent symptoms. When I am super stressed, my stomach revolts against me....So questions to ask yourself and address if necessary:

1. Are you under a lot of stress (either at home or work)?
    2. Have you recently had a major environmental change?
    3. How are you sleeping? Is body fatigue playing a role?

Good luck and I hope this resolves for you soon!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I took one of those probiotic pills for a few months and it got my system much better than it was.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I have become lactose intolerant over the years. That is my opinion anyway, I still have to talk to the doc about it. I cut out drinking milk and use almond milk instead. I can handle small amounts of dairy at different times (like 3 oz cheese or a yogurt), but if I have too much at one sitting it really hurts my stomach. I would say lower your amount of dairy.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I was leaning towards the dairy as well, just couldn't imagine it working that fast with the cottage cheese though. But I will cut it out for awhile and see what happens. That just stinks cause I love cheese! Hopefully that won't be the culprit!

It can happen quickly. I ate a nectarine one morning for breakfast, that night I ate one and was the in hospital getting a shot of epinephrine. I developed 3-4 really serious food intolerances/allergies in my 20's it can happen whenever.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I would go "back to basics" for one week. By that, I mean go back to foods that you KNOW don't cause you any problems. For me it was apples, water and deli roast beef. One week on that regimen and all was back to normal.

Then I added dairy. (*&^%%$$$) OMG. Through research, I found that most people "our age" were lactose intolerant...most not knowing it.