Notice something interesting at Subway

Options
I was on Subway's website today trying to figure out the healthiest of the $5 sandwiches. There's a section on their website where you can choose your bread, meat, and toppings and it gives you the nutritional values. I put in the 9 grain wheat for my bread then compared that with the other breads. The white bread has 10 calories less than the wheat! I know the wheat is made from better stuff but I also want to watch my calories. What do you guys make of that?

Replies

• MarcRipley
    MarcRipley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The other odd thing is that processed american cheese has less calories than what I thought was better: swiss.
    I'll still stick with the wheat and swiss on my black forest ham footlong!

Marc

8357149.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    10 calories...big deal! run for an extra minute, walk and extra 2... I make out it's the extra grains in it.
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Go with the wheat!

Sometimes better choices does not necessarily mean less calories....Like 1/3 cup of almonds is 300 calories but a chocolate bar might less...

Good luck :)
  • sambo155
    Options
    Yeah, I think I'd rather have 10 extra calories of good stuff than eat the white bread. :) Just thought it was interesting.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    whole almost always has more calls.. becuase white bread has less nutrients and more air..
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    whole wheat usually always has more calories, but the fibre and other health benefits of it is worth it!
  • samantha0176
    samantha0176 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i'd go with whole grain even if it has more calories...in the long run it is better...your body will use more calories to digest the whole grain that it would with the white bread..

:o)

sam
  • ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Wheat breads almost always have more fat than white bread.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My fave bread has the most calories :( but i love it!! Honey oat!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://www.shapefit.com/diet/subway-healthy-fast-food.html
    (the whole wheat bread is "enriched" - not whole wheat)

and

http://webecoist.com/2009/05/08/10-weird-and-gross-ingredients-in-processed-food/ (Subway is first on this list)
  • dedarlin
    dedarlin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    the whole wheat bread at subway has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it!!! If you arent familiar, HFCS is very bad for you. In this case, the italian bread is the better choice. however, between the bread being less than healthy and the chemicals in the lunch meat, subway isn't really the best option :(
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Aside from subway being full of crap... I've boycotted them for endorsing Michael Vick and his Sportsman of the year award. I also dropped Nike for resigning him.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The whole wheat bread at Subway is pretty much as unhealthy as it can get for whole wheat bread. The first ingredient is "enriched wheat flour," which is just as crappy for you as white flour, and the third ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. You may as well eat the white if that's what you fancy.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Flour is enriched so that the vitamins and nutrients that are lost in the milling and refining process are returned, keeping the flour the nutritional equivalent of wheat. The big "but" is that the bran is still missing. Whole wheat flour still needs to be enriched because milling wheat into flour takes away nutrients, it has the bran.

At subway, the added calories in wheat bread is due to some sugar to sweeten the taste. Go with what you like. Bear in mind that the added fiber in the wheat bread actually consume more fuel during the digestive process, making the 10 calories inconsequential. Fiber from the wheat bran is a good thing. I go with honey oat myself, more fiber.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You can also just do without the bread and get a Subway salad.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Here's the ingredients for the two. Read and make your own decisions. :)

9-GRAIN WHEAT Enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, barley malt, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, high fructose corn syrup, whole wheat flour, wheat gluten, contains 2% or less of the following: oat fiber, soybean oil, salt, wheat bran, rolled wheat, rye nuggets, dough conditioners (DATEM, sodium stearoyl lactylate), yeast nutrients (calcium sulfate, ammonium sulfate), degermed yellow corn meal, rolled oats, rye flakes, caramel color, triticale flakes, parboiled brown rice, refinery syrup, honey, barley flakes, flaxseed, millet, sorghum flour, azodiacarbonamide, natural flavor (maltodextrin, natural flavor, silicon dioxide, lactic acid). Contains wheat.

ITALIAN (WHITE) BREAD Enriched flour (wheat flour, barley malt, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, sugar, contains less than 2% of the following: soybean oil, fermented wheat flour, yeast, salt, wheat protein isolate, wheat gluten, dough conditioners (acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono- and diglycerides, ammonium sulfate, calcium sulfate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, potassium iodate, amylase [enzymes]), sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, lactic acid, sulfites, mineral oil. Contains wheat.
  • sambo155
    Options
    Excellent information! I thought I was doing good by going to Subway but I guess not. It's better than a Bic Mac, right?

Backwoodsmom - I've tried the salads at Subway and I just don't care for them. Plus, they're more expensive! I've asked a few of them why is it that I pay more for a salad when I'm getting less than a sandwich (no bread) and they said it's because the salad has more veggies. Maybe so, but not $2.00 worth! Sheesh! :)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    If you like bread, I say eat whatever one you like best. An additional 10 calories in the white bread is negligible and, I'm guessing, so are the nutrients in Subway's whole wheat bread. Sounds like a wash to me.
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    "processed" cheese speaks for itself. I'll choose natural cheeses anytime. That is the only food that I refuse to eat under the guise of "fat-free", "lite",etc.
  • kivarenee
    Options
    Somebody mayhave already posted this but I was so eager to voice my opinion that i just scrolled down andhit reply. I saw like last year or so on an article raving about "Eat this, not that" or what ever that is called. they said there is a dye in the wheat bread that makes it brown and its not all wheat.. its hardly even wheat. it practically colored white bread..