Carbs at Night?

Options

Replies

• steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    For the past week I've been experimenting with not eating carbs after lunch. It is SO hard!!! I did loose weight this week but I wanted to get some feedback from others. Oh, and I workout in the morning.

What do you eat before bed? Do you see any difference in weight loss when you stick to protien late in the day.

Thank you for any input

Do what works for you!!

I'm not sure if it matters but I'm not eating carbs at night to find out. Yea I said it carb phobia at night, LOL!!!

Seriously, when I was younger I could eat/drink what ever I wanted and it had no effect. Now that I'm older it seems harder to keep the weight off. I'm not sure if its a hormonal thing or what.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I have read that WHAT you eat before bed does matter. From the Mayo clinic and others....I was just hoping there were people who have tried it. I just didnt want to reinvent the wheel. I was eating a little ice cream or cake. ALL within my calories. But I wasn't loosing weight some weeks. Now I'm just trying to shake things up. I was told that those sweets at the end of my day were causing me to stall.
    That is incorrect. Do you have a link to this information from Mayo clinic? It does not matter AT ALL for weight loss. As long as you are at or under your calorie goal.
    Googling "eating before bed site:mayoclinic.com" produced some hits for articles about foods that can help you sleep better, but that's about all I got.
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Congrats for trying this out! Reducing carbs is very challenging. I actually tried a "no-carb" diet to help me break a plateu last month. I ate lean meats, fish, apples and veggies. I dropped a lot of weight doing that. But I knew I couldn't make a lifestyle out of it, so I introduced carbs back. Like you, I try not to have any after lunch. It takes time to get used to it, but it will get more easier. And you will drop weight because it's a shock to your body. Protein is the best thing for your body. Some days I just eat chicken breast all day. Best of luck! :)
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My anecdote: I find eating carbs late in the day results in feeling hungrier in the evening and that protein before bed helps keep me satiated.

So there ya go...

It's not an either/or scenario

When I have about 90 cal to spare at 9 pm, it usually is for me... I opt for a tablespoon of nuts or nut butter. YMMV
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    So they do recommend granola and fruit as well.
    The Mayo Clinic recommends cereal with low-fat milk or yogurt topped with granola, which often contains oats, as valuable bedtime snack options

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/282294-healthy-foods-to-eat-before-bed/#ixzz1dubPd5vP

So maybe it was the fact that I was eating too much before bed. I really am afraid of running out of calories. So I eat light all day then have TONS of calories left at the end of the day.

I guess your right I have to find what works for me. I wish it wasnt so difficult to figure out. I definelty know 120 g of protien a day has help with all the cravings. Now to the choices I make with the rest of the calories.
  • epona_mus
    Options
    And look how well you're doing!!! Only 19 lbs to go... so you're definitely doing something right!
  • ItsLessOfMe
    Options
    Congrats for trying this out! Reducing carbs is very challenging. I actually tried a "no-carb" diet to help me break a plateu last month. I ate lean meats, fish, apples and veggies. I dropped a lot of weight doing that. But I knew I couldn't make a lifestyle out of it, so I introduced carbs back. Like you, I try not to have any after lunch. It takes time to get used to it, but it will get more easier. And you will drop weight because it's a shock to your body. Protein is the best thing for your body. Some days I just eat chicken breast all day. Best of luck! :)

Thank you SO much sonny and epona_mus. Thats what I wanted to her just someome who has done it.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    OP, it sounds like you're overcomplicating it.

Simply eat what you want, when you want, but make sure you keep that calorie deficit.

It really is as simply as that. I eat my main meals of protein/carbs right before bed, normally around 900/1k cals. Just focus on the things that really matter! :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Thank you SO much sonny and epona_mus. Thats what I wanted to her just someome who has done it.
    People do it...but there is honestly NO REASON. I guess all you wanted here was someone to tell you that you should? Clearly that's the only information you find useful, rather than the FACTS. Good luck anyhow.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic recommends cereal with low-fat milk or yogurt topped with granola, which often contains oats, as valuable bedtime snack options

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/282294-healthy-foods-to-eat-before-bed/#ixzz1dubPd5vP
    That article is about tips for foods to eat before bed that can help you sleep better, not avoid weight gain.

"What you eat before bed can influence your ability to sleep and your wellness in positive and negative ways. According to the Mayo Clinic, eating large, high-fat meals, caffeinated beverages or spicy foods before bed can cause discomfort, alertness and heartburn. Modest-sized healthy snacks, on the other hand, can heighten relaxation and prevent hunger pangs during the night. If you have difficulty improving your bedtime sleep habits, seek guidance from your doctor or nutritionist."
  • ItsLessOfMe
    Options

That article is about tips for foods to eat before bed that can help you sleep better, not avoid weight gain.

"What you eat before bed can influence your ability to sleep and your wellness in positive and negative ways. According to the Mayo Clinic, eating large, high-fat meals, caffeinated beverages or spicy foods before bed can cause discomfort, alertness and heartburn. Modest-sized healthy snacks, on the other hand, can heighten relaxation and prevent hunger pangs during the night. If you have difficulty improving your bedtime sleep habits, seek guidance from your doctor or nutritionist."

Thats what I'm saying. Maybe my meals were too large. Forget the carb stuff
  • ItsLessOfMe
    Options

People do it...but there is honestly NO REASON. I guess all you wanted here was someone to tell you that you should? Clearly that's the only information you find useful, rather than the FACTS. Good luck anyhow.

I think I just want to see consistant losses. Not up one week. Then loose then maintain. I just want to know I'm going in the right direction each week. But its all part of the journey. Learning and such
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I think I just want to see consistant losses. Not up one week. Then loose then maintain. I just want to know I'm going in the right direction each week. But its all part of the journey. Learning and such
    Understood, what matters most is sticking to your calorie goals. Fluctutations in weight will happen, but if you're maintaining that deficit it's likely nothing more than poop and water, to be fully graphic :laugh:
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs at AM and PM :D I just don't eat after 6pm (dinner time).... only thing I'm allowed to drink past that is tea (without milk and sugar!) and looooads of water....:D
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What do you eat before bed?

Anything that fits my macros. Last night it was a banana w/ peanut butter.
    Do you see any difference in weight loss when you stick to protien late in the day.

No.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Keep your chin up -- the ups and downs are typical.

Here's a link to a group here that provides some fantastic info, and clears up a lot of the confusion that's out there: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/457-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • bbabs99
    Options
    I had great success several years ago not eating carbs after noon. I found I was less hungry and I could still have my carbs in the AM. I still try to "frontload" my day with carbs and not eat bread, potatoes, rice etc. after mid day. I also have a protein snack (1T of peanut butter, a dozen almonds, etc.) right before I go to bed because it helps keep me satiated so I'm not starving first thing in the morning (my weakest moments are before coffee...)

Just because there shouldn't be any confusion, neither of these snacks are particularly high in protein, but high fat.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    Options
    OP, it sounds like you're overcomplicating it.

Simply eat what you want, when you want, but make sure you keep that calorie deficit.

It really is as simply as that. I eat my main meals of protein/carbs right before bed, normally around 900/1k cals. Just focus on the things that really matter! :)

Okay I know this isnt true because there are SO many limits on mfp. Sugar, carbs, etc. I dont think I could just eat all the sugar and fat I want within the calorie limit and loose
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Okay I know this isnt true because there are SO many limits on mfp. Sugar, carbs, etc. I dont think I could just eat all the sugar and fat I want within the calorie limit and loose

If you're not insulin resistant or diabetic you actually could lose weight eating a bunch of junk food (at a calorie deficit). It wouldn't be in your best interest for health reasons of course, but your scale weight would decrease. Google the twinkie diet as an example of this phenomena.
  • epona_mus
    Options
    I had great success several years ago not eating carbs after noon. I found I was less hungry and I could still have my carbs in the AM. I still try to "frontload" my day with carbs and not eat bread, potatoes, rice etc. after mid day. I also have a protein snack (1T of peanut butter, a dozen almonds, etc.) right before I go to bed because it helps keep me satiated so I'm not starving first thing in the morning (my weakest moments are before coffee...)

Just because there shouldn't be any confusion, neither of these snacks are particularly high in protein, but high fat.

Understood. Is there something else you would suggest? (I don't eat meat or soy products and eat only very limited forms of dairy). Always happy to expand my horizons (although I'm a pretty picky eater). At 9 pm for 90-100 cals, my choices would typically be a piece of fruit, raw vegetables, nuts or nut butters, whole wheat toast, etc. What else should I consider?