You can lose weight on less than 1200 calories...

Options
Yes, yes you can, but you can also be under eating to the point of starving your body of nutrition (not just the caloric aspect), and things your body needs on a DAILY basis, especially while exercising, such as calcium for your bones, healthy fats for your heart, and so much more. I just hate seeing people robbing their bodies of health in the sake to be thin...

If you exercise, your body needs food to repair the muscle properly, to build up bone density, etc etc etc, so many things. I'm not talking starvation mode. I'm talking malnourishment.

Replies

• ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    **applause**
  • foodeeee
    foodeeee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to lose weight if I eat more than 1200 : / Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    amen
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • sineadangele1
    sineadangele1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    @foodeee maybe cuz you have none to lose? from your profile pic, you look all muscle to me lol
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    1700 -1900 seems about the norm for me plus whatever I exercise (500 calories of exercise = 500 calories of extra food I eat). I'm not losing weight super fast, but I am losing about 1.5 - 2lbs per week which I understand is a safe amount.

If I ate any less I wouldn't have the energy to allow me to put in the workouts I do every week. I might get away with it for a week or two, but my injury rate would likely increase and my recovery would take longer between workouts.

S
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I agree! :drinker:
  • crazylikefox
    Options
    Why would anyone ever WANT to? The only people I know who eat that little are people who are overweight and trying to lose weight. The fit and normal weight people I know all eat normal looking meals. It is like the book "In Defense of Food" states: Eat food (ie, not processed foodlike product), not too much, mostly plants.
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think netting at least 1,200 cals or more per day is the way forward xx
  • spacedebris
    Options
    1200 calories a day isn't enough to sustain you if you exercise.
    More realistic is 1600 p. day on food, and 200+ bonus for your exercise.
    Don't worry too much about calories - just DONT EAT FATS !!!
    Loose weight slowly: 1 to 2 pounds p. week will get you there.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    just DONT EAT FATS !!!

:huh:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day isn't enough to sustain you if you exercise.
    More realistic is 1600 p. day on food, and 200+ bonus for your exercise.
    Don't worry too much about calories - just DONT EAT FATS !!!
    Loose weight slowly: 1 to 2 pounds p. week will get you there.

Why do you think people shouldn't eat fats? We need fat.
  • foodeeee
    foodeeee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    just DONT EAT FATS !!!

I don't agree at all. Eat fats, just make sure they are healthy (almond butter, avocado, salmon, etc.). It's the processed refined crap to watch out for.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I like my brain. I like how it functions. I like my skin to be soft and supple.

These are two reasons I know I need to eat fats. And, admittedly, I do so happily for so many more reasons.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day, mainly a lot of fruit and vegetables, this means I can eat lots and lots of food :bigsmile:

I also burn anywhere between 400-1200 calories a day, this allows for me to eat a lot!!!!!!!! And I am losing weight, it fluctuates here and there, but I am also doing a lot of weights to build muscle. I am healthy! I feel great! and I drink lots of Water!

But you need to have your nutrients in order.

All my blood tests show that I am extremely healthy to! :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Our bodies DO need fat. Just stick to MUFA'S! That's the way to go,
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to lose weight if I eat more than 1200 : / Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I saw another post where you said you wanted to lose 5# of fat. I don't think you HAVE an extra 5# of fat. You look incredible!

Check this group if your looking to increase muscle and reduce fat: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17-women-eating-2-000-calories-per-day :smile:
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    But it is also possible to get what your body needs and stay under 1200 calories, I exercise and I stay around 800 calories a day I do not eat back my exercise calories. My labs are perfect, I am losing fat without losing lean body mass, and I have lost 130 lbs.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Have you had your stats taken to see where your percentage of body fat is actually at? My reading told me I have 24.8% in body fat and that only leaves me with 1.27 lbs in excess. A lot less than I really thought. (thank godness):smile:
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    But it is also possible to get what your body needs and stay under 1200 calories, I exercise and I stay around 800 calories a day I do not eat back my exercise calories. My labs are perfect, I am losing fat without losing lean body mass, and I have lost 130 lbs.

We shall hope for your bone density's sake when you hit menopause that this is true.