what's the best strategy to lose weight in 1 week?

Options
A friend and I had a "biggest loser" bet in a month. So far I've lost 12lbs in 3 weeks, eating veggies, not a lot of carbs, 30 minute daily exercises. I've also read some parts of the 17 day diet, and follow the daily meals sometimes. My daily calorie in my fitness pal is 1460, and I average 900 calories daily. I also try to limit my carbs to 55g. Now that I'm in my last week, any tips on how to lose the most in 1 week without killing myself? :) thanks!

P.S. I'm 5'11 and 212lbs. 3 weeks ago I was 225

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    900 calories is not enough; if you net under 1200 calories (more for men) a day, your body will slowly shut down. You won't lose weight sustainably because your body is holding on to everything you give it out of fear of continued nutrient deprivation. Up your calories, and you will see sustainable results!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    nine hundr--- no! your body needs AT LEAST 1200 to function. With the amount of activity you're doing, up your calories! you'll lose weight at a sustained rate and a lot healthier, too.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Do you want to win the bet? Or do you want to be healthy?

Cos if you want to win the bet you should just stop eating altogether for the week. But if you want to be healthy, you wouldn't be worried about dropping weight fast in a week. You've already lost 12lbs in 3 weeks, which is well above the recommended 1-2lbs a week.
  • newarkco05
    Options
    900 is not healthy at all. I disagree with the you won't lose as fast if you eat that low, you will. I have done it.. I lost 50 pounds in 3 months eating 1000 calories a day, but that doesn't make it right. The weight came back just as quickly. So what if she ends up winning . Your betting your health.
  • Paula_Addem
    Paula_Addem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water!!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Yeah - forget the bet and just do it right....it's just smarter in the end and you'll be happier! :bigsmile:
  • boinee
    boinee Posts: 27
    Options
    900 calories is not enough; if you net under 1200 calories (more for men) a day, your body will slowly shut down. You won't lose weight sustainably because your body is holding on to everything you give it out of fear of continued nutrient deprivation. Up your calories, and you will see sustainable results!

Is calories really that important? I can eat chunk light tuna which is 100 calories compared to chicken breasts which is 300 calories, both will make me full.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options

Is calories really that important? I can eat chunk light tuna which is 100 calories compared to chicken breasts which is 300 calories, both will make me full.

Calories are a unit of energy; being full has nothing to do with it. Your body needs the energy to fuel bodily functions like pumping blood- that alone will take over 1200 calories a day. You don't fuel your body, it will fail you.
  • omaklackey
    Options
    I'm currently taking a nutrtition class and I do have a strategy. If you go back to your suggested caloric intake of 1500 after eating only 900 calories it will actually cause your body to rapidly drop weight because your metabolism will go back to work with more calories and BAM the weight will fly! Pretty cool trick right?
  • boinee
    Options
    Do you want to win the bet? Or do you want to be healthy?

Cos if you want to win the bet you should just stop eating altogether for the week. But if you want to be healthy, you wouldn't be worried about dropping weight fast in a week. You've already lost 12lbs in 3 weeks, which is well above the recommended 1-2lbs a week.

I want to win the bet and be healthy. not eat for a week? :( I can't even stand not eating for 8 hours.
  • boinee
    Options
    900 is not healthy at all. I disagree with the you won't lose as fast if you eat that low, you will. I have done it.. I lost 50 pounds in 3 months eating 1000 calories a day, but that doesn't make it right. The weight came back just as quickly. So what if she ends up winning . Your betting your health.

thanks! I'll eat an extra chicken part today. :)
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old daughter needs 1000 calories per day to grow. Just saying.
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    in 1 week?

maybe a master cleanse ... I'd personally never do it. Simply cause I love food too much.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Flu?
  • boinee
    Options
    I'm currently taking a nutrtition class and I do have a strategy. If you go back to your suggested caloric intake of 1500 after eating only 900 calories it will actually cause your body to rapidly drop weight because your metabolism will go back to work with more calories and BAM the weight will fly! Pretty cool trick right?

Wow! I didn't know that.. when should I start taking 1500 cal? should I start now? It's only a week left.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Very cool trick. Have you actually done that and found that it worked? I am at a standstill right now and it's about to get discouraging.
  • boinee
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water!!

I was planning to do that, thanks for reminding me.
  • boinee
    Options
    in 1 week?

maybe a master cleanse ... I'd personally never do it. Simply cause I love food too much.

will look this up, thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Drink liquids only then get a colonoscopy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Stand on the scale naked.