why do YOU over eat/binge?

Options
hi guys. I was just wondering what it is that drives you to over eat. tonight I had about 500 calories more than my maintenance level (oops!) I'm a big runner and in the past week I've been doing very long runs and I don't think I was fueling my body enough, so tonight I went a little crazy. but, most of the times I over eat when I'm stressed or upset. it's a tough cycle to break, but I really want to stop getting in these messes! does anyone relate? what makes you overeat and if you feel like you want to, how do you control yourself?

Replies

• mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I'm home alone or feeling sorry for myself. I usually do it right after work when no one else is around to watch, otherwise I'm pretty good.
  • foodeeee
    foodeeee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do it as an avoidance behavior. I just started Prozac and it's been helping soooo much with compulsive eating.
  • claudia778
    Options
    I overeat with my kids, when I'm sad and bored.. Being home with kids all day/all night especially when your husband leaves the house at 9 am and doesn't come home until 12:30 a.m. what else is there to do?
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Emotions and stress! :(
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Pizza and BBQ taste really good.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    When I'm drunk or hungover. I've realized I need to control myself around alcohol more lol
  • jan115
    jan115 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Mindless eating in front of the TV at night.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    People actually know why they binge?

original.jpg
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just can't stop... once I start eating I just cram as much in my mouth as possible. I don't know why, really. Maybe anxiety?
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    For some reason its whenever I see the scale move down. I'm not sure why but it sends me on a binge. I also find counting calories makes me really hungry, so i make sure i log before I eat.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    For some reason its whenever I see the scale move down. I'm not sure why but it sends me on a binge. I also find counting calories makes me really hungry, so i make sure i log before I eat.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a therapist and have recently learned that my overeating wasn't just out of habit/self-comfort, but I have actually been using food to distract myself from painful stuff from my past.

The actual act of eating distracts me from the unpleasant thoughts/memories and then the feeling bad about myself for eating so much distracts me from them again.

Since we have started addressing the actual issues behind why I binge/overeat, I am more able to stop myself from those behaviors and am starting to deal with the underlying causes in healthier (but still difficult!) ways.

-LP
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I would say whenever I'm feeling bad about myself, or I'm really worried or scared... And sometimes, I'm just obsessed with something until I get it. And then after that first bite I can't stop until it's gone or in the trash. Very frustrating and makes me feel like such a failure afterward. And even though I know that in the end it will only make me feel worse, i still dive right in... Sigh.
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    People actually know why they binge?

original.jpg

I'm with you...If I knew why I did it I would be in a better position to stop it.....
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My grandmother died last night. I am ready to binge.
  • mmmckenna1
    Options
    My biggest problem is I get a thought in my head of what I want to eat and it is usually something from a restaurant. You know how that goes, once out and I have ordered food I end up eating the entire portion. I just can't keep away from eating out. I have a husband and two teenagers who enjoy eating out just as much as I do..... hence, they are no help. We eat out 2-3 times a week. Sometimes that will include a glass of wine or a beer. If they closed restaurants around 5 PM I would weight 20 lbs less.
  • UhTania
    Options
    When I feel I have too much to do or feel overwhelmed, I feel like I "deserve" to eat then binge. I rarely can think of a time when it's worth it or I feel better, but it still happens occasionally.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I overeat with my kids, when I'm sad and bored.. Being home with kids all day/all night especially when your husband leaves the house at 9 am and doesn't come home until 12:30 a.m. what else is there to do?

I'm right there with you on this. My husband works 2nd shift and so I tend to overeat at night while he's at work.
  • mmmckenna1
    Options
    That is a great idea--- log food before I eat---then I will only eat what I log.....thanks
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    My grandmother died last night. I am ready to binge.

I'm so sorry.. ;-; Please, don't binge. I know this doesn't mean anything at the moment.

I suck at things like this. -leaves before I do something wrong-