Nook or Kindle?

Options
13»

Replies

• BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Strictly for reading, I'd say go with a non-color e-ink device. I have a Kindle and love it. If you stare at a computer screen all day long like I do, you don't want another backlit device to read on (this means any laptop, iPad, etc. - not sure about the color devices, but suspect they are backlit as well). The Kindle e-ink has ZERO eyestrain and if you are one to read a few books at once, it makes traveling really nice.
    I would agree very strongly with this. My wife has the last-gen Kindle and I've used it lots. I've held off getting my own. The e-ink is indispensable, IMO, for a pure reader. The new Kindle touch is phenomenal; it's about half the weight of the last Kindle and the keyboard (which I kind of find in the way) is gone.

If you want a tablet replacement, I'm not familiar enough with each to give advice.
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    love my kindle...

^^^ this ^^^
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Nook Color!!!!!! :heart: LOVE IT! :heart: My kids LOVE the to the part where it'll read books to them or they can record hemselves reading books.

I love real books but with kids I don't have time to wander through the book store or library for myself...I spend my time in the kid section. Since getting it I have read probably 20 books since Christmas. I told my hubby I didn't want it....now he teases me cause I'm always reading. My hubby knew before I did that I'd love it:laugh:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much. This was a huge help! I would love to stick with a good-ol'-book, but being a stay-at-home mom makes it very difficult to find "alone" time to go to the bookstore or library. Checking out a book on-line is just more convenient for me.
    And let's face it... it's only a matter of time before B&N shuts down, too. I miss Borders. :*-(

I'm not convinced that B&N will shut down. The Nook has been huge for them and are reporting better numbers.

I COMPLETELY agree with finding the time with kids!

One more thing is the Nook has the ability to lend books to friends (not sure if the Kindle does or not)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I tried to help my aunt with her Nook.. such a piece of crap.

I say stick to physical books.

I say that too. I refuse to ever get either.

I've got some sort of ebook reader, and I've used it a total of maybe twice. I prefer to chill out with a real books, and have bookshelves riddled with them.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to decide on this as well between the kindle fire and the nook tablet...I like that the nook has a volume control where the kindle doesn't...I plan to watch a lot of movies on mine as well as read.
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Kindle! I had the Kindle Keyboard & now I have the Kindle Touch & I LOVE IT! I got the lighted cover with it, which I also love. The e-ink is much easier to read than a color screen. Plus, the Amazon Kindle store is great & if you're an Amazon Prime member, you can "borrow" certain books for free. Also, Amazon's Kindle support is awesome. My mom's boyfriend dropped my first Kindle Keyboard & they sent me another one free of charge & I got it before I even sent the old one back. Then, when I ordered my Kindle Touch with the lighted cover, the light on the cover wouldn't work, so they immediately sent me both a new Kindle & a new cover to make sure whichever piece was malfunctioning, it was taken care of. I couldn't be happier with their support or with the device!

I also agree with some of the previous posters that B&N may eventually go out of business, like Borders, but Amazon definitely isn't going anywhere. IMO, the Nook is probably the main thing keeping B&N in business.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have a Nook Color and I love it. I love the backlight feature- I can read at night in bed and my husband isn't bothered at all- it has a special night feature that turns the background dark so there is no strain on your eyes. Books are cheap also- you can get lots of books free or under $5.00. You can surf the web, play games and everything. But for me the best feature is that if I have problems, any problem at all I can take it to my local Barnes and Nobles and say HELP! I have taken my Nook in for the updates and they are so helpful. I'm not real techy so that is a great plus for me.

I've read that the only real difference is that with the Kindel you can't take it in to a store for support like you can with a Nook. Most people love what they have. If you have a Nook you love it, if you have a knidle you love.

Oh I forgot to mentiion that you can go into any Barnes and Nobles and read books for free for up to 1 hour each day. I've read through alot of the replys on here and the Nook has all the features that the Kindel has so far from what I've read.

I also love that my 3 y/o uses my Nook all the time. It has games for kids that teach numbers and colors and shapes. There are coloring apps too. And we just LOVE the READ TO ME BOOKS. I never go anywhere without my NooK.
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I bought my husband the nook color a year ago and I got the kindle fire for Christmas from my employer, so I've used both. Kindle fire hands down. Much faster, easy to navigate, screen is much clearer. I don't see much difference in reading books on them, but Netflix on the nook is so much slower than the kindle fire. I even have the MFP app on my kindle fire.
  • Bheller234
    Options
    I have the original nook and even though it is not color i absolutely love it. I put my music on it and plug my headphones in and read my books. The only downside is that you have to have a book light when reading it's dark but other than that it is perfect and I love it! I don't have it to play games or anything...that's what the laptop is for, not that I couldn't play games on it though. I just choose to use it for what it was made for...books! My Gram got the kindle fire from her sister-in-law and she wanted me to help her with it and I couldn't quite figure it out. I think if I had more time with it I could have figured it out though. I prefer having a physical book but sometimes it is just easier to carry my nook than a book.