MFP = life ruiner?

Options

Replies

• skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool. Would you use a hammer if you didn't need it? Would you want one around for when you do?

I agree!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is...when can we be done?
    With what, exactly? Eating healthy? Staying active?
  • abrown4348
    abrown4348 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool. Would you use a hammer if you didn't need it? Would you want one around for when you do?

Love it!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    MFP is just a website if it is micromanaging your life its because you are using it to do so.
  • Terrymichelle
    Terrymichelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    At some point I think you have to give up on MFP. I know for me it was ruining life. I did this for 6 months, it was tough because everytime you eat your on your phone or computer making sure its in your daily log. My husband was supportive with my decision to do this until it started to interfere with our happiness. When the days come that you have to eat out or are out with friends and you are trying to decide where to go and all I can say is I can't eat there because they don't post their calories or they don't have anything that will fit in the rest of my day it gets tough. I think once you have made your goal and feel confident in your ability to do it on your own you should give up on it. I know I haven't changed much about my eating habits or my exercise and still feel good about my weight but I think it does become more of an addiction than anything after awhile. Happiness comes first though.
  • tcrouser
    tcrouser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Once I remember attending a weight watchers meeting and the speaker said that once you have met your goal it is OK to stop attending but if you gain back 5 lbs you should consider coming back and if you gain 10 lbs you need to run back as fast as you can. I think that holds true for MFP as well.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    Its a tool.
    I wouldn't walk around with a hammer after I finished building my house, but this is a little different.
    If you are truly disciplined, then leave, if you think the logging in helps, then keep it up.
    ^^^^^^this^^^^^^^
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You aren't in prison. You can stop using the site whenever you choose.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    At some point I think you have to give up on MFP. I know for me it was ruining life. I did this for 6 months, it was tough because everytime you eat your on your phone or computer making sure its in your daily log. My husband was supportive with my decision to do this until it started to interfere with our happiness. When the days come that you have to eat out or are out with friends and you are trying to decide where to go and all I can say is I can't eat there because they don't post their calories or they don't have anything that will fit in the rest of my day it gets tough. I think once you have made your goal and feel confident in your ability to do it on your own you should give up on it. I know I haven't changed much about my eating habits or my exercise and still feel good about my weight but I think it does become more of an addiction than anything after awhile. Happiness comes first though.
    I have never once refused to eat somewhere because they don't post their calories. If you are obsessing over it to that degree then it's a problem you need to deal with, but it's not the site that is causing it. It's just a calorie tracker. Wow.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    only you can answer. if you find that you are feeling the least bit addicted to logging, checking MFP, etc... then stop or take a break. it shouldn't be something as extreme as a 'life ruiner'.

at times, in all honestly, i feel that i almost 'need' to check the site...but it's becoming more about the friends and support for me...and logging exercise (and staying accountable).

as it is now, i am not logging all my meals - it's become too tedious for my life. i don't want my kids/husband constantly seeing me on the computer logging everything, especially when i already know what the general calorie counts are for pretty much everything.

congrats on meeting your goal and good luck!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I fantasize about wearing a tool belt to my desk job. Hammers are cool, and one of the best implements for zombie defense.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    it's a free country. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to log food.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Umm.... this is probably why you have to be 18 yrs. or older to join.

I have a lot to say, but I'm biting my tongue.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I can't see how it mfp could be so overwhelming for you unless you spend too much time in the forums. I'm not judging. I know I do some days. That's my problem. I have a friend who logs in every day, has her diary private, and that's it. No comments here or on people's statuses. (She is a "real life" friend. She doesn't "make friends" on mfp. She only accepted my friend request because we're friends. :smile: ) It's only as "micromanaging" as we allow it to be. Yes, sometimes I find myself obsessed with mfp. I consider it a transference of sorts, and realize it is a symptom that I have a LOT more work to do on myself than just take off a couple hundred pounds!
    This is my long winded way of saying that if mfp is "micromanaging" your life, then you have some issues that mfp can't help you with. Again, I'm not saying this to be insulting. I am saying this as someone who sees her own obsession with mfp as a symptom that weight isn't my only issue.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    im at my goal weight, but i use this to keep my self accountable and its also a good website if you plan on keeping up with a maintenance program

No one is forcing you to stay with this website. If you think its ruining your life, leave the website
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to feel like my fitness pal is micromanaging my life. Is there really a need to stick with this once your goal has been met? I'm determined and capable of keeping the weight off and know my boundaries as far as calorie intake for maintaining and losing. What I want to know is...when can we be done?

The fact that you feel it is micromanaging your life and you are capable of maintaining a healthy weight on your own is a darn good indicator that you are done.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    If you are asking yourself these questions, then it's probably a wise time to "log off." Methinks you've already found your answer.

Also, axes for zombies; I prefer axes.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I like to see MFP like training wheels. Eventually, I should be able to develop the ability to manage my weight without out.

I discovered MFP though 344pounds.com, a site chronicling one guy's enormous weight loss. He started using MFP, and can now guesstimate his caloric intake without it. He's still here (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tyler), but hasn't logged in for a while. That is what I'm aiming to do eventually.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This indeed is a little extreme! If it's ruining your life, why are you still on? To me, in my opinion it has change my life in a good way! I say if you are unhappy delete your account. Something else might help you somewhere else. Goodluck I guess!