Day 1 of HCG

Options

Replies

• nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    D. I really need to feed my family better foods - no more hamburger helper around here, I will be feeding them healthy home cooked meals from now on

Um, the HH could have been a gimme if you would have just read the side of the box. No need for *ANY* kind of diet to figure that one out.

I keep reading that the VLCD part of this is only for 21 days... however, I see people going through multiple "cycles" of this. That would be more than 21 days.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My friend has lost about 23 lbs. in a month on HCG. She can certainly do it and has gotten results. I wouldn't be able to do that though... 500 calories is too low.

I can lose 30 lbs in a month WITHOUT doing the HCG diet.

+1111111 I've lost over 80 pounds in 80 days, and I eat well over 2K calories a day. Just have to find what works for you. If people want to do the HCG diet and it works for them though, who are we to stop them.

I like to eat. My body doesn't work if I don't eat. And, ya know, things like my heart start to fail and I kinda need that.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Too much DRAMA here for me! Good luck to you all....BYE
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this! i'm going to grab a small mix of popcorn and healthy nuts and pulses and sit back and watch this one unfold. Oh and I cna do that because I'm allowed to eat on my 'diet'.

Can I join? This has been hilarious so far!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I also find it funny that the biggest nay sayers on this forum, also ask some of the most basic questions revealing that they have not researched the diet at all, they are just jumping on a bandwagon out of boredom. Here is a "cliffnotes" version of the diet plan:
    A. If you want to lose 15 pounds or less - you do the 21 day plan
    B. If you have more to lose, the max length of a VLCD round is 40 days
    C. After the VLCD round is complete and you have lost the weight you are going to lose for that round you record that weight and for the next three weeks your mission is to maintain that weight +/- 2 pounds. You are allowed to consume your MFP maintenance calories during this time (I am 5'6" and 145 pounds, so MFP put me at around 1800 calories) with one stipulation, you can not eat refined sugar or starch - so you get your carbs from fruits and veggies only, but there is no limit on fat and protein. I regularly exceed my protein and fats for the day, but keep my carbs at about 50-75, and I have maintained beautifully.
    D. After the three weeks of maintenance, you get slowly reintroduce carbs and find out how certain ones will affect you. This is eating for life, so you learn about whether or not a potato causes you to gain, but a piece of whole wheat toast is fine, etc.

Again, this is a diet that teaches you about your own body. It is not for everyone. If it's not for YOU, that is understandable. It's like quitting smoking, it's a habit change and a lifestyle change, and if you are not ready to make that commitment, and just want to keep going with your giant bowl of popcorn and expect to be healthy, then maybe someday it will finally click in your brain that "Hey! Popcorn has zero nutritional value, it is a starch, and when I pour copious amounts of butter on it then add a bunch of nuts I am going to have a fat *kitten*!" but if I just eat the nuts, I'm fine. Weird!

It was more of a ploy that the average person here has more then 15 pounds to lose and would be going over the mythical 21 day mark you keep throwing out.. hey I can do drugs for 21 days and it'd have no effect on me what so ever right? As long as I stopped at 21 days, that is just a horrible argument to make. That since it's a small amount of time it'll have no effect on you no matter how small of time. Again I'm fine with the diet just make sure you aren't pumping sunshine where their needs to be a black box label. All diets have down falls. Gastric Bypass has huge ones that people try to sunshine pump over as well.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    if this doesn't sound like its for you then its not, and you don't have to do it.

Good luck to you!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    My friend has lost about 23 lbs. in a month on HCG. She can certainly do it and has gotten results. I wouldn't be able to do that though... 500 calories is too low.

I can lose 30 lbs in a month WITHOUT doing the HCG diet.

+1111111 I've lost over 80 pounds in 80 days, and I eat well over 2K calories a day. Just have to find what works for you. If people want to do the HCG diet and it works for them though, who are we to stop them.

I like to eat. My body doesn't work if I don't eat. And, ya know, things like my heart start to fail and I kinda need that.

You sound like a spiker, on spike day I even eat 5k calories ;-) I even eat the evil carbs and I still dropped 4.5 pounds last week. I love me my cinnamon rolls!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    if this doesn't sound like its for you then its not, and you don't have to do it.

Good luck to you!

Nope not for me, and if I hadn't gotten the snotty treatment from someone (not you) I'd probably have let this die. But I suffer from a bad vengeful personality. It's a big character flaw, and no lack of carbs can fix it.

I am impressed with what you have been able to do on hcg, apparently it was for you!
  • rgauthier1983
    Options
    d2football has noted a very important part of the dieting. What works for one may not work for the other. These forums are meant for support, and if something someone else is doing is working for them then let's support then in their efforts. I do understand that HCG is in no way a catch all, but I will attest to it helping loose weight. Personally, it has helped me eat healtheir foods overall. The diet is very restrictive for the time you are on it, but once I am done, I plan on continuing with a healthy diet. More calories of course. I also consume 800 - 1000 calories instead of the 500 calories the original diet states with the same type of lean meats and veggies. I have seen great strides of progress with this meal plan and I am getting much more of he essential nutrients throughout the day that are needed to full the body along with the fat preserves being accessed with the HCG. Lost 6 pounds in 1 week. That's good especially while eating 800 - 1000 calories a day.
  • teagin2002
    Options
    I also find it funny that the biggest nay sayers on this forum, also ask some of the most basic questions revealing that they have not researched the diet at all, they are just jumping on a bandwagon out of boredom. Here is a "cliffnotes" version of the diet plan:
    C. After the VLCD round is complete and you have lost the weight you are going to lose for that round you record that weight and for the next three weeks your mission is to maintain that weight +/- 2 pounds. You are allowed to consume your MFP maintenance calories during this time (I am 5'6" and 145 pounds, so MFP put me at around 1800 calories) with one stipulation, you can not eat refined sugar or starch - so you get your carbs from fruits and veggies only, but there is no limit on fat and protein. I regularly exceed my protein and fats for the day, but keep my carbs at about 50-75, and I have maintained beautifully.
    D. After the three weeks of maintenance, you get slowly reintroduce carbs and find out how certain ones will affect you. This is eating for life, so you learn about whether or not a potato causes you to gain, but a piece of whole wheat toast is fine, etc.

Again, this is a diet that teaches you about your own body. It is not for everyone. If it's not for YOU, that is understandable. It's like quitting smoking, it's a habit change and a lifestyle change, and if you are not ready to make that commitment, and just want to keep going with your giant bowl of popcorn and expect to be healthy, then maybe someday it will finally click in your brain that "Hey! Popcorn has zero nutritional value, it is a starch, and when I pour copious amounts of butter on it then add a bunch of nuts I am going to have a fat *kitten*!" but if I just eat the nuts, I'm fine. Weird!

It was more of a ploy that the average person here has more then 15 pounds to lose and would be going over the mythical 21 day mark you keep throwing out.. hey I can do drugs for 21 days and it'd have no effect on me what so ever right? As long as I stopped at 21 days, that is just a horrible argument to make. That since it's a small amount of time it'll have no effect on you no matter how small of time. Again I'm fine with the diet just make sure you aren't pumping sunshine where their needs to be a black box label. All diets have down falls. Gastric Bypass has huge ones that people try to sunshine pump over as well.

I agree it is a horrible argument to take, unfortunately everyone buys their HCG from different places and the information they get or maybe even understand is not necessarily the most accurate info.
    I know it is so many pages ago, but the drops help the Hypothalamus get back on track, that is the part of the brain responsible for how many calories our body will use from our food, how much fat will be stored, whether that fat is considered abnormal fat or normal fat in the body's view, and which fat reserve will be utilized first in a weight loss scenario, among many other things.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

I agree it is a horrible argument to take, unfortunately everyone buys their HCG from different places and the information they get or maybe even understand is not necessarily the most accurate info.
    I know it is so many pages ago, but the drops help the Hypothalamus get back on track, that is the part of the brain responsible for how many calories our body will use from our food, how much fat will be stored, whether that fat is considered abnormal fat or normal fat in the body's view, and which fat reserve will be utilized first in a weight loss scenario, among many other things.

Thank you, for clearing that up.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm all for eating healthy foods. Make sure and eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits and nuts and get in your protein too!

But there are all sorts of healthy eating, clean eating -- whatever you want to call it -- diet plans you can do without dropping your calories to starvation level or using HCG!

Isn't that exciting news!
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm a lab scientist and worked for hospitals for 20something yrs. The HCG diet is a fad and not healthy. It's also no permanent fix. On the brighter side, if one is extremely obese , anything that will kick start weight loss is a positive thing. It may just be what gets you motivated and start on a weight loss journey. I hope all the negative feedback doesn't discourage you because there are a lot of really nice , compassionate and encouraging friends on Mfp. Look for those who support you in your goals. Good luck to you !
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I noticed the above thread talking about muscle loss, if the diet is done properly. Meaning the dosage is proper and that person has enough abnormal fat. They should not starve or loose muscle. My fat % is 24% and I weigh 172 lbs wearing a size 8 us jean.

How you find out if you have enough abnormal fat is you get your body fat % measured, if it is in the normal range regardless of your weight then you do not have enough fat reserve and this diet is not for you at all even if you are in the high normal range.

I hope this helps.

and what the hell is abnormal fat, fat is fat , there is no abnormal , there is accessive. the only thing i could qualify as abnormal fat is a Lipoma and only surgery gets rid of that.
  • silkaclark
    Options
    Obviously I could have figured out that HH is not healthy for my family to eat regardless, my point was, I never really used to think about it before. Until a month ago, I had never stepped foot in my Sprouts up the street, now I regularly shop there. It has changed me, and it was because I took the time to do my homework and folliow the directions in Dr. Simeons manuscript. If I was going to eat healthy fruits, veggies, and protein - then I may as well cook that way for my whole family. Who are all athletes and though they eat a lot and never gain, I still think I am feeding them better now, rather than my old standard meat and potatoes dinners that I used to prepare.

Also, I did 21 days because MY goal was to see if I could lose 15 pounds of baby weight that had not budged after my CrossFit episode. And, bam, gone! Some people do multiple rounds, but it is imperitive that they rest for a minimum of 6 weeks between rounds. Many are able to do this successfully - but that takes unbelieveable will power and strength to be admired, because my 21 days of VLCD were hard for me, so I can't imagine doing more than one round. It is tough, but effective, and for some, and not others.
  • teagin2002
    Options
    In a healthy person this part of the brain will utilize the # of calories according the person's BMR and activity level and will use the fat from the reserves first, so gut or hips for intsnace.

In an obese person this part of the brain is scued; it will use less calories than the BMR says the person is supposed to consume, so the person is eating normally and still gaining weight. Also it may tell the body that the fat reserves are normal fat that the body needs and the normal fat is abnormal. This is in woman who loose weight from their breasts and face first and their gut or hips are remaining the same size.
  • jess_blonde
    Options
    In a healthy person this part of the brain will utilize the # of calories according the person's BMR and activity level and will use the fat from the reserves first, so gut or hips for intsnace.

In an obese person this part of the brain is scued; it will use less calories than the BMR says the person is supposed to consume, so the person is eating normally and still gaining weight. Also it may tell the body that the fat reserves are normal fat now that the body needs and the normal fat is abnormal. This is in woman who loose weight from their breasts and face first and their gut or hips are remaining the same size.

Sorry but I have to:

*skewed
    *lose
  • teagin2002
    Options
    if the person does not want to gain back the weight after they are done it is important to understand that some foods prevent HCG from having an ever lasting effect on the Hypothalamus those are the food we need to stay away from in the VLCD and then introduce slowly in maintenance.
  • teagin2002
    Options

In an obese person this part of the brain is scued; it will use less calories than the BMR says the person is supposed to consume, so the person is eating normally and still gaining weight. Also it may tell the body that the fat reserves are normal fat now that the body needs and the normal fat is abnormal. This is in woman who loose weight from their breasts and face first and their gut or hips are remaining the same size.

Sorry but I have to:

*skewed
    *lose

thank you, I am not perfect...
  • jess_blonde
    Options

Sorry but I have to:

*skewed
    *lose

thank you, I am not perfect...

No problem. Always happy to help. =)
This discussion has been closed.