High Fructose Corn Syrup = Poison

Options

Replies

• Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    People are obese because of overeating. This forum could use some serious fact checking. Alarmism > peer-reviewed scientific research articles here

ding ding ding!

Watch the video!! It is by a renowned physician and uses several "peer-reviewed" studies!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I would encourage people to read this as a counterpoint:
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Alan Aragon takes a very no-nonsense approach and he's one of the industry leaders in sports nutrition. The above is his take on HFCS and SURPRISE! he talks specifically about this video.

Thanks for the link to the counter-argument.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I'm certain the association between HFCS and obesity is confounded by the increase in serving sizes over the years (among many other factors)

Peep the size of a bottle of Coke before 1980 and now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Just because you don't drop dead after one bite doesn't mean it's ok for you. Fact is HFCS is one reason so many people are obese.
    That's not a fact. It's a possible contributor. The reason people are obese is because of excess calories. It's been PROVEN that someone can eat nothing but Twinkies and chips (both high in HFCS) and still lose or maintain weight. So it's more about the calorie surpluses than the HFCS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/02/19/a-retrospective-of-the-fructose-alarmism-debate/

Melanson et al. Effects of high-fruct­ose corn syrup and sucrose consumptio­n on circulatin­g glucose, insulin, leptin, and ghrelin and on appetite in normal-wei­ght women. Nutrition. 2007;23:10­3–12

White JS. Straight talk about high-fruct­ose corn syrup: what it is and what it ain’t. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Dec;88(6):­1716S-1721­S
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    People are obese because of overeating. This forum could use some serious fact checking. Alarmism > peer-reviewed scientific research articles here
    Ding ding!! Exactly. So many on here BLAME food additives for theirs and others demises when it comes down to EXCESS CALORIE INGESTION that caused the weight gain.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Just because you don't drop dead after one bite doesn't mean it's ok for you. Fact is HFCS is one reason so many people are obese.

LOL. Might want to educate yourself a bit better.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/02/19/a-retrospective-of-the-fructose-alarmism-debate/
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

No. Excess calories and sitting on the couch all day make people obese.

Dude I've looked at your site and am wondering how can you be so into fitness and nutrition if you truely believe this nonsense.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    People are overweight/obese because they eat too many CALORIES. A CALORIE is a unit of energy which is stored by the body as fat when it is not used as expended energy. The source of the calorie is absolutely irrelevant when it comes to weight loss/gain. While I agree HFCS is not healthy, it's ridiculous to blame the obesity epidemic on HFCS.

People are fat because they eat too much, and they need to stop making excuses like "HFCS made me fat."

What a load of crap.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Alarmism at its finest.
    Yep. Seems like as of late many threads of "poison" in our foods have been appearing. It's gotta be the fault of the McRib.

IDEA Fitness member

LOL - that made me laugh :)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    HFCS usually goes hand-in-hand with overconsumption of calories. That's about as far as I'd go though.
    Hello and thank you!

Correlation != Causation

It's a common mistake, and used in sensationalist/alarmist journalism all the time.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Alarmism at its finest.
    Yep. Seems like as of late many threads of "poison" in our foods have been appearing. It's gotta be the fault of the McRib.

And of course just about any substance can be a poison if consumed in large enough doses. Randomly calling something a poison don't make it so. Please see the poorly reported scare regarding dihydrogen monoxide (http://www.dhmo.org/) if you don't believe me. :wink:
  • RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    "Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin."

I don't have 90 minutes to listen to this ... but I think the above statement breaks down his point. TOO MUCH sugar and NOT ENOUGH fiber. That does not equal POISON! It equals Fatties!
  • dance_fit
    dance_fit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth on the HFCS debate. But I did a search for peer reviewed articles and found this one about mercury contamination in HFCS. That's enough to make me stay away from it.

Not so sweet: missing mercury and high fructose corn syrup: Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy.
    Wallinga, D.; Sorensen, J.; Mottl, P.; Yablon B.
    Alternative Medicine Review (1089-5159)
    Jun 1, 2009. Vol.14,Iss.2;p.110

OR the PDF here: http://iowa.sierraclub.org/Mercury/HgandFructose.pdf
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Oh please my waaah alram is going off. :sad: I MADE MYSELF FAT!!!!! not HFCS not Mcdonalds not soda and not ice cream. Consuming to much junk food and not moving around enough mad me fat. Why are people so quick to blame food for their problems. No one is holding a gun to your head and making you eat things. But guess what Ive lost 30 LBS and Im still eating pizza nad ice cream and McDonalds. But in portion control. People seem to have forgotten an old conerstone saying. Everything in moderation.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    People are overweight/obese because they eat too many CALORIES. A CALORIE is a unit of energy which is stored by the body as fat when it is not used as expended energy. The source of the calorie is absolutely irrelevant when it comes to weight loss/gain. While I agree HFCS is not healthy, it's ridiculous to blame the obesity epidemic on HFCS.

People are fat because they eat too much, and they need to stop making excuses like "HFCS made me fat."

What a load of crap.

www_plus613_net_goodpost.jpg

Exactly my view.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Bookmarked to watch later.
    +1
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I read an article about "skinny fat" forwarded from the CDC earlier this week. I can't find the CDC version right now, but this is essentially the same article:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45194344/ns/today-today_health/t/diabetes-growing-threat-young-slim

The claim is HFC calories tend to be stored as visceral fat, which in turn can lead to diabetes.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Oh please my waaah alram is going off. :sad: I MADE MYSELF FAT!!!!! not HFCS not Mcdonalds not soda and not ice cream. Consuming to much junk food and not moving around enough mad me fat. Why are people so quick to blame food for their problems. No one is holding a gun to your head and making you eat things. But guess what Ive lost 30 LBS and Im still eating pizza nad ice cream and McDonalds. But in portion control. People seem to have forgotten an old conerstone saying. Everything in moderation.

Jenbit... I can not thank you ENOUGH for this! I know we all have our own ways of taking this journey, but for ME it's about REAL LIFE. REAL LIFE for ME is birthday cake on birthdays, McDonald's when on a long drive, or even God forbid...something loaded with HFCS every now and then. If salad and chicken breast were the only things I could put in my mouth, this journey would NEVER happen for me.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't care whether or not its poison - I avoid it just because I prefer the taste of table sugar over HFCS.