Will we ever accept responsibility?

Options
2»

Replies

• tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i understand how you feel, but you can only effect what you touch. Example:

My Kids, I am teaching my kids the correct way to live, thus helping solve the problem.

I have turned on at least 5 people to MFP, and they are making the changes, and i know they will teach there children.

You can only change what you touch. Make the change, set the example, and feel good about doing it.

This makes sense. We can only do what we can do. I'm also teaching my 2-year-old daughter by example. Luckily she loves all fruit and even likes a few vegetables.

Another poster mentioned the "clean your plate" thing. I agree. That is another thing I will not do to my child. If she is done eating, then that's fine by me. I don't want her to be unhealthy or have issues with food.
  • runamym
    runamym Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    that said, I vote with my dollar now -- spend money on organics and whole foods. Not at fast food joints! And I pay attention to those running for office and what their opinions are on our country's healthy epidemic. And I vote on election day. So that's how I'm trying to change that.... and of course, spreading the word to my circle of influence about healthy eating and exercise!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    MFP is really the only place I hear that kind of thing. Do most people actually think that way?

Yes. I know so many people that are overweight and will just use all those excuses, all the time. I used to use those excuses too.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Excellent post Kate.

Thanks!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Nice, Post, its convenient, it cost less to eat that crap!!! Plus they made it so the taste is nice and addicting 1 meal can have over 150 grams of carbs and lets not get into all that sugar, no wonder the heath of the nation is going down. I don't think your preaching at all.
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    I agree that is it very difficult to break the fast food cravings. It's easier and cheaper to keep eating junk so if you don't really want to change, you just don't. It took years but my body got so accustomed to fast food that I'd rather not eat if it wasn't McDonald's, Wendy's,etc. It just didn't taste good to me. And because I was young and had that rocking 20's metabolism, weight wasn't an issue. I saw no need to change. Now I'm in my early 30's; the weight started to pile on and my doctor is telling me that my LDL is elevated and my Tri's are high so I'm trying to get control of the situation.

People (myself included) have to accept responsibility that they did this to themselves and the only way to change it is to make conscious choices until your body's cravings can catch up. Believe it or not... instead of craving french fries I now crave tomatoes, salmon, hummus, grilled chicken, etc. The tomato cravings are the strongest... some days I'll eat several servings. Strange!
  • kateroot
    Options
    I get lots of those healthy cravings now too! When your body is getting healthy food I really believe that those cravings for junk go away. That's been my experience at least.
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly for the most part.... but i also do think the nutritional portion sizes are deceptive in nature... like seeing a package of reeces peanut butter cups... serves 2??? just so they can move the numbers down so it doesnt appear as the crap your really eating.

Secondly.. WE.. are in control as adults... as KIDS.. such as those on the subsidized school lunch programs, we are shooting ourselves in the foot from the jump. Tomato paste... french fries as vegetables due to politics? (never mind the sodium.. its VEGETABLES! must be healthy.. healthy enuff for you broke kids anyway) We start the problem early then we have to spend our time "unlearning" what an actual healthy meal, portioned correctly are from the very begining.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes....great post...

I have spent the past 3 years learning and teaching myself about healthy eating - it really has to be a lifestyle change - you HAVE to change your mentality AND you have to really read about proper nutrition for your body....not to say a treat now and then isn't bad....but sometimes I want to shake people - like the very obese lady at my gym who spends 60 minutes on a recumbant biike while drinking 1/2 gallon of sweet tea....I guess it is good she is moving something but she is negating any effects by drinking 300+ calories of sweet tea while working out...

Something else - people who say they can't exercise...just because you can't do exactly what others are doing doesn't mean you can't do something....I can't do running or exercises when I am repetively coming down on my right foot because of ankle issues but I do my best -when I go to the gym I use the ellipitcal or the arc trainer - I found i love kickboxing...and found an excellent place that offers it twice a week - a few movements i can't do so I modify...I invite people to come with me all the time and their excuse is "oh I can't do that it will be to hard" - I tell them - we had a lady with a cane walker doing it - if she can do it you can do it...
  • kateroot
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly for the most part.... but i also do think the nutritional portion sizes are deceptive in nature... like seeing a package of reeces peanut butter cups... serves 2??? just so they can move the numbers down so it doesnt appear as the crap your really eating.

Secondly.. WE.. are in control as adults... as KIDS.. such as those on the subsidized school lunch programs, we are shooting ourselves in the foot from the jump. Tomato paste... french fries as vegetables due to politics? (never mind the sodium.. its VEGETABLES! must be healthy.. healthy enuff for you broke kids anyway) We start the problem early then we have to spend our time "unlearning" what an actual healthy meal, portioned correctly are from the very begining.

I saw that in an article in the NY Times.. I cannot believe that, according to government regulation, PIZZA is considered a vegetable in school because it has tomato paste on it. Obviously it's the parents' job to educate children about proper nutrition, but disadvantaged kids or kids of parents who don't eat well themselves aren't necessarily going to get that education at home. Because of that, I do feel that schools have some responsibility to teach nutrition as well. Passing off pizza as a vegetable is exactly the opposite of what we need to be doing.