Man-friendly diet foods

Options
katrana
katrana Posts: 66 Member
Hi guys, I need to go grocery shopping tonight and I am running out of ideas for things to make that my guy also likes. Can you help me think of some things to get??

He is a very meat-and-potatoes kind of guy. I think he is getting tired of my chicken+vegetables+(insert sauce) over rice or noodles, however overall he is very open to the idea of eating healthy and will generally eat whatever I make.

I make a lot of spaghetti (with whole wheat pasta and lots of vegetables), chicken+veg curries or chinese dishes with brown rice, homemade vegetable beef/ham and bean/chicken noodle soups, skillet meals, sandwiches, etc. Even *I* am getting a little tired of our current food rotation though, and could use a little inspiration. Any good ideas??

PS: He does NOT like hummus, fish, yogurt, or couscous

Replies

• katrana
    Options
    Hi guys, I need to go grocery shopping tonight and I am running out of ideas for things to make that my guy also likes. Can you help me think of some things to get??

He is a very meat-and-potatoes kind of guy. I think he is getting tired of my chicken+vegetables+(insert sauce) over rice or noodles, however overall he is very open to the idea of eating healthy and will generally eat whatever I make.

I make a lot of spaghetti (with whole wheat pasta and lots of vegetables), chicken+veg curries or chinese dishes with brown rice, homemade vegetable beef/ham and bean/chicken noodle soups, skillet meals, sandwiches, etc. Even *I* am getting a little tired of our current food rotation though, and could use a little inspiration. Any good ideas??

PS: He does NOT like hummus, fish, yogurt, or couscous
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Get some turkey. Ground turkey. Can make "Cheeseburger Pie" with it and Heart Healthy Bisquick. Same bisquick...and you can make homemade chicken pot pie.

Also baked turkey is a nice change up.

If you like mexican, I make a chicken tortilla soup that is really good and low cal.
  • Cerabell18
    Cerabell18 Posts: 124
    Options
    Try the Hungry Girl cookbook. My husband loves several of the recipes from the book including taco meatloaf, chicken pot pie, onion rings, the salads, and breakfast pizzas.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    If he doesn't like hummus, I think it's time to leave him.

:wink:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    why on earth are people araid of steaks?

they wont eat a good steak

but for dessert they will have chemical crap called cool whip

what is wrong with you people?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My husband is eating healthy with me too. He was a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Instead of rice or noodles, try quinoa or even sweet potato.

There is such a variety of veggies that you can switch them out and make each meal taste different.

Try things like chicken burgers with sweet potato fries (I toss them in a tbsp of olive oil and cover them with spices and bake them in the oven)

I have found some awesome recipes that are now family favourites.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options

As Dave says.... let him eat steak. Just have a smaller portion for yourself. We have that with onion, green peppers and mushrooms cooked with red wine, water, garlic and pepper and then have broccoli on the side. YUM
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options

You didn't call the margarita man yet did you?

That being said, Dave is right. There's nothing wrong with red meat in your diet, just don't live off of it & don't eat half a cow when you do.

Good luck finding something to make both of you happy! I have no real "good" suggestions in the recipe department.
  • lectromagnet94
    Options
    I know you said he doesn't like fish, BUT you should try a buttery white fish. maybe like tilapia.
    here is my fav. recipe. my friends that don't like fish like this recipe.

Ingredients:
    3 thin slices of orange
    white fish (I recommend tilapia)
    3 thin slices of lemon 1
    medium/large tomato
    a drizzle of evoo
    salt & pepper
    basil, oregano, ect (what ever types of seasonings you would like to put in. just don't over do it)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take large piece of foil (enough to wrap around the fish and fully close) and put fish on bottom. then place the orange slices and lemon slices on fish (spread evenly apart). For the tomato, you might want to slice or dice. either way works. add tomato. drizzle the evoo on top. add salt, pepper and seasonings. close foil. (it should now look like a pouch w/ the fish inside). place the foil on a cookie sheet so the juices don't seep onto your over (if you seal it tight enough, none will come out. ) place fish in oven for about 15 minutes. take out of oven and let sit for about 2 minutes. KEEP POUCH CLOSED. you might even want to put a dish towel on top to keep the steam in. take out of foil and serve!

optional - i make white rice with this recipe. the juices are DELICIOUS over rice! yummy!

This meal is really healthy! it has your veggies and everything!

you could also try doing some skewers! I would do like Pork or chicken with pineapple, bell peppers, slices of ham (like the lunch meat type) that would be really yummy too!!!

I hope you and your guy like my fish recipe!
    and be grateful that he's not complaining about your dieting!!! haha
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options

Preach it, Brotha!

I've also seen a good recipe for Cashew Chicken if that sounds appealing.
  • katrana
    Options
    I don't make steak because I really just don't like the taste of steak all that much, not because I am scared of it :P

I do make things with ground beef or sometimes pot roast, but overall I am not much of a red meat eater.

Thanks for the tips so far!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My DH is a meat and potato only kinda guy too. I make pork sandwiches that are pretty good, in the crockpot, a bottle of kc masterpiece and a pork roast or tenderloin--then you can add all the vegies you want:laugh: I also have used the sneaky chef on occasion, www.sneakychef.com Her thing is to hide the vegies in the food using purees, I made a pork tenderloin that my husband loved, it had white beans in the sauce and was marinated in pomegranate juice. Another thing I do in the crockpot, although not nearly as low cal is creamy italian chicken, you take chicken breasts--even still frozen is okay, cover them with a packet of dry italian dressing mix and cook for 6 hours on low, 4 on high, at this point you can shred the chicken and use it for wraps, ckn sandwiches or whatever or you can make the sauce with a can of cream of chicken soup and 8 oz of cream cheese --put the soup and cheese in an hour before serving and mix breaking or shredding the chicken, let melt and warm through then serve with whole wheat noodles, vegies, potato or rice. YUMMY:happy: HOpefully this makes sense I am pulling recipes of the top of my head, let me know if you need more info than that, or an official recipe:smile: Good luck semi picky men aren't easy to cook for.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I don't make steak because I really just don't like the taste of steak all that much, not because I am scared of it :P

I do make things with ground beef or sometimes pot roast, but overall I am not much of a red meat eater.

Thanks for the tips so far!

you dont like the taste of steak?

either you are grilling it wrong or you need counseling ASAP:wink:

proceed
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    How about a reduced-sodium ham? I'm in the same predicament as your husband and got my wife to get a big ham. Besides our Easter dinner, I've been using it for sandwiches and on salads. It's great. Yes, I realize that many can be high in sodium or processed chemicals, so I don't make it a staple food, but it's sure a nice break from chicken every single day and not as fattening as other red meats.
  • Blue50
    Blue50 Posts: 11
    Options
    Shoulder Steak slow roasted or oven baked at 250 degrees.

43 calories per ounce. Melt in mouth goodness.

Cow Rules!!!!!!!!!!
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    Yep. I agree. Serve him steak. I love my steak (and can't stand cool whip! Yay Dave!):laugh:
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    What about ground turkey and veggie stuffed peppers or cabbage rolls?

We make a lot of fajitas, and I make a fajita salad for myself. I add zucchini to the veggies, lots of possibilities in fajitas.

Kebabs are a fun way to personalize meat/veggie varities and serving sizes.

I make shredded bbq chicken wraps, chicken breasts and bbq sauce in the crockpot all day and then serve them with fresh homemade healthy slaw.

We make lots of homemade soups, and hubby always liked those.

BLTs with turkey bacon, or real bacon sparingly if you can afford it in your calories. I make mine open face with one piece of bread.

Baked eggrolls can be fun, lots of possibilities there.

Eggplant parmesan can be done in a very healthy way, look for a low fat baked version.

HTH
    Amy
  • AllyKM
    AllyKM Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The Bisquick Cheeseburger Pie is great. Easy, quick and filling. My husband usually doesn't feel satisfied eating the "diet" foods I cook and often will eat 2 portions of something because the calorie count is low and he can get away with it. When I made the Cheeseburger Pie he loved it and was full from one serving. He ate it the next day for lunch as well and said it tasted even better the 2nd time around.
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    LOL...you guys are just too sweet!!! My first thought was to let him cook whatever he wants to eat himself!!! :laugh:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I often do wraps. I cook up some lean ground meat and chop up a bunch of veggies for toppings. It's easy and that way we can add our own toppings.

I also make him sheppard's pie with extra lean ground beef!

:happy: