Most humorous work holiday bonus you've recieved

Iamfit4life
Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
Years ago..

A Christmas card saying "thank you for all of your hard work, there won't be bonuses this year"

But I've heard of Turkeys, Hams, and of course the every loved Jelly of the month club(the gift that keeps on giving).

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    really? a card saying there will be no bonuses, that takes some balls!!! i have nothing interesting to report, but my sister has gotten hams and her current employer gives them an amazon.com gift certificate which is nice, but weird at the same time...just give me some dang money!
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    My last job, our Christmas cards always had a huge bonus inside. The last year I worked there we all excitedly opened our Christmas cards at the party and were blown away. Nothing. Then the announcement that we would get them 'later'......I left 11 months later without a bonus.

A bonus should never be expected but come on!!! Really?

Then you start to bounce my pay checks that come from government issued money?? SEE YA.....enjoy jail!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    I worked at a pizza place. I got a card and inside was a gift certificate to the pizza place I worked at.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 616 Member
    my exhusband works for UPS. he used to get a 2,500 bonus every year...one year they announced that they will no longer be getting $2,500. instead, it will be a turkey from now on...thats an expensive turkey!
  • My mom works at a hospital, and one year they got beach towels with the hospital's name and logo all over it. The next year they got a giant umbrella with the hospital's logo on it. Guess they wanted some free advertising!
  • mavers1
    mavers1 Posts: 39 Member
    Ikea one year gave out bikes to their employees for christmas bonuses and yes, you had to put them together.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    There was a work holiday party and I only worked at a firm of 8 people - everyone got pretty spiffy gifts - one girl got a sony reader, another got a new ipod - I got some cheap *kitten* necklace and earrings from kohls. I don't wear jewelry. The occasional stud earrings but typically not a splash of bling on me. My hubs said in the car "I don't think they like you"
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    At a bank I worked at maybe 5 or 6 years ago they gave us meat. We got to pick one of maybe a half dozen options of meat packages from Omaha Steaks to have delivered to us.

Another bank I worked at gave our branch a fancy plaque and and cards telling us bonuses were coming later, I also left before they ever came.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    One year we got two rolls of holiday toilet paper. We did get cash with it but still, who gives toilet paper as a Christmas gift??? That was about 8 years ago and I still have one of the rolls.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    I've always gotten cash, but not very much. The company I worked for right out of college was cheap. The company I work for now gives merit bonuses at other times during the year, so the Christmas bonus is more of a gift than a bonus.

But I agree that some companies don't handle Christmas bonuses the right way when they're "scaling back." As a financial officer, I can say that no employer wants to send out a memo or hold a meeting to tell people "the bonuses are going to suck this year because we just don't have the money," but as a former regular employee, I can also say that I think most people would rather have management just be honest about the situation than wait till Christmas and send out cards saying "Um, yeah, great work. Sorry there's no money for you this year, but here's a ham." People do count on their bonuses, whether they "should" or not, and I don't think it helps the situation for the employer to take the attitude that people shouldn't expect something they've grown accustomed to receiving.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    The last guy I worked for was a slimeball. The first year he owned the company he had a nice party at a banquet facility, booze and snacks. Gave us all logo fleece jackets. The next year he said he was planning a nice party for us again, which turned out to be carry-out lasagna from Olive Garden. He wouldn't even let us turn the phones off as usual so we could all sit together and eat and chat. Oddly enough I ordered the food for him and he made me take one pan back and refused to pay for it. We didn't have enough food to feed everyone.

He is out of business now. Took money out of paychecks for benefits and never paid the premiums. He also started boncing our payroll checks, but he was spending plenty on company Range Rovers and family trips to Lebenon to visit his family.
  • ItsCasey
    Ikea one year gave out bikes to their employees for christmas bonuses and yes, you had to put them together.

Haha. Classic.
  • ItsCasey
    The last guy I worked for was a slimeball. The first year he owned the company he had a nice party at a banquet facility, booze and snacks. Gave us all logo fleece jackets. The next year he said he was planning a nice party for us again, which turned out to be carry-out lasagna from Olive Garden. He wouldn't even let us turn the phones off as usual so we could all sit together and eat and chat. Oddly enough I ordered the food for him and he made me take one pan back and refused to pay for it. We didn't have enough food to feed everyone.

He is out of business now. Took money out of paychecks for benefits and never paid the premiums. He also started boncing our payroll checks, but he was spending plenty on company Range Rovers and family trips to Lebenon to visit his family.

OMG, this sounds eerily similar to my last boss. He pulled garbage like that all the time, including buying Hummers and plasma TVs for "the company" but bouncing employee paychecks. And then he would randomly do something really nice but not financially responsible, like sending every female in the office out in limos for lunch, cocktails, and a shopping spree. I'm not entirely convinced that he wasn't schizophrenic.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    a check for .95 cents
  • FearAnLoathing
    a check for .95 cents

Now my husband on the other hand,gets an awesome bounus.Hes a car salesman so from Jan 1 till the last day of november for every car he sells he gets $30 toward his christmas bonus,right now its up to almost $6000
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    £5 gift voucher for John Lewis... you cant buy ANYTHING for £5 in John Lewis... thanks. :huh:
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    a check for .95 cents

Now my husband on the other hand,gets an awesome bounus.Hes a car salesman so from Jan 1 till the last day of november for every car he sells he gets $30 toward his christmas bonus,right now its up to almost $6000

What kind of cars? Ford, Audi..just curious.
  • FearAnLoathing
    a check for .95 cents

What kind of cars? Ford, Audi..just curious.

GMC, and Buicks and of course the various used cars on the lot
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    We'd get checks for $10 with all the normal deductions taken out so it would be worth about $2 by the time we received it. Definitely not worth it for the poor payroll people who had to run that extra payroll and not really appreciated by the people who received them.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    The funniest holidy bonus I have ever received was a garden stepping stone with Christmas decorations/sayings on it. It's funny because a) I am not Christian, and b) I lived in an apartment at the time (and so did many others who worked with me) and didn't have a garden to put the stepping stone in. Nice thought.......... but I would have rather gotten a $5 bill. Or gift certificate to an ice-cream shoppe.