I need to buy a new computer!!!

Anyone have any suggestions? Considering the raves I have been hearing about Apple computers, no one that I know has one, so I can't get a hold on anything 1st hand .. Any comments?

I need one that is lightening fast (equivalent to gaming) with lots of memory .. because I use it for work (and I willl need to network between two CPU's) Any suggestions?

Replies

• TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    I can't give any suggestions yet or rave about Apple but I have heard raves upon raves about them so I plan to get one at tax time.

I'm about 5 seconds away from tossing my PC laptop out the window, it's such a piece of junk.

No real suggestions or anything helpful here, but I feel your pain! :wink:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Anyone have any suggestions? Considering the raves I have been hearing about Apple computers, no one that I know has one, so I can't get a hold on anything 1st hand .. Any comments?

I need one that is lightening fast (equivalent to gaming) with lots of memory .. because I use it for work (and I willl need to network between two CPU's) Any suggestions?

I just got my first Mac this past summer after going through 5 PCs in 10 years. So far, I LOVE my iMac. Since you do game you'll need to do some research to find the model that has the specs you need, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm not sure about how easy they are to upgrade, and I know that a lot of gamers like to do their own upgrades, so if that's important to you, you'll need to do some research. I know the model I bought really doesn't have much option for upgrades except for RAM. But I use mine for photo editing, and it is ridiculous how much faster it is than a PC.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member

Apple. Hands down. Buy one and replace/update the memory yourself, save yourself some money.
  • If you are looking for something comparable to a gaming rig don't by an Apple.

Are you actually going to be gaming? What kind of work do you do? This would help make a better suggestion.

Most PCs that you can buy off the shelf are decent nowdays. I would prefer to build my own though so that the hardware can be exactly what I need as opposed to a stock set up.

BTW, don't tell people that you are networking two CPUs. You aren't. You're networking to computers or systems... a CPU is the same as the processor. :)
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    I just got a new Dell Inspiron 15" from Newegg.com for about $700. Intel i5 process, 8gb ram, 750gb hard drive & Windows 7 64 bit. I have a Newegg preferred card and used it to get 12 months same as cash. My opinion of Apple is I like that their OS in based on BSD but they want way too much money for their stuff.
  • I've always had really good luck with Dell. More with computers than anything else, you get what you pay for. So if you want something fast, plan to spend around $1,000 or more. Make sure you get a computer with lots of RAM as a lack of RAM is the biggest cause of a slow computer. So without knowing your specific needs i cant tell you exactly what to buy...but check out Dell's website and choose one based on your needs. Good luck!
  • bill_i_am
    bill_i_am Posts: 180 Member
    I just ordered a Lenovo from www.tigerdirect.com they have great deals. I'm not a big fan of paying for overpriced pc's (dell, hp) just because it has their name on it...all the parts come from the same place. I use this one for work and it's plenty fast, AMD quad core processor, 6 GB RAM , 1TB HDD...just my humble opinion :)
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    I owned my first MAC starting December 2004, just this past summer I decided to upgrade with mine still working; sold it and put the money towards a new one. Love MAC's.
  • Alienware might be a good option, it's pretty darn expensive though
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    do yourself a favor and dont waste your money on a pc. Spend the extra cash and get a mac. It wont let you down and it will run as strong 7 years from now as the day you bought it. Plus save on antivirus programs because macs dont need them. Even the apple salesperson wont try to sell you any because they know they dont need it. I have had mine for 6 years now ans it is still my best computer that i own. I have 4 other pc's and have had issues with each one. Macs are tried and true. Take the advice if you wish, or buy a pc and spend more money throughout the years and have lots of headaches.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    If you are looking for something comparable to a gaming rig don't by an Apple.

Are you actually going to be gaming? What kind of work do you do? This would help make a better suggestion.

Most PCs that you can buy off the shelf are decent nowdays. I would prefer to build my own though so that the hardware can be exactly what I need as opposed to a stock set up.

BTW, don't tell people that you are networking two CPUs. You aren't. You're networking to computers or systems... a CPU is the same as the processor. :)

I am not gaming .. but I need something that would be as capable because I am networking two 'computers' for an accounting program and internet. It was suggested to me to get something equivalent to the speed of a gaming system. I know squat about hardware .. that's why I am asking. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • Apples have thier place ... The Apple OS IS far and way superior to windows with regards to stability and security ... BUT I may cause a bit of a "discussion" (to put it in a positive light LOL) .. I think the OS is a bit over hyped to the point of almost being a religious experience with some people..... At its core the linux operating system is basically the same thing without the COST.. I would recommend as indicated below to build to your OWN specs .. Check out sites like Bensbargains.com , fatwallet.com , pricewatch.com for your parts... you may get a really good deal with all the holiday sales coming on ..
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Since Windows 7 came out iOS is no longer the Windows beater it once was, 7 has been by in large the best operating system I've used. iOS was far superior to Vista the is no denying that but 7 is a joy to use, it's stable and snappy.

The thing is most people compare their $1,000 mac to a $300 laptop, most people who bad talk computers do so I find because they've only had experiences with cheap ones (budget laptops & work/library/school computers) which of course makes sense, the is never going to be a time when a $300 - $400 machine will compare to a $1,000 machine. But if you choose to stick with Windows based machines you get far more bang for your buck... not only do you have more FREE (and better) software available to you the specifications will be better as well. Getting a Sony, Asus, Acer, Alienware machine for around $800 and it'll take a dirty toilet over the mac specification wise & now they have the OS to back them up in Windows 7.

Also Macs are very expensive to maintain, VERY expensive, if something goes wrong with one you'll pay threw the nose, though build quality on macs are one are where they shine it has to be said.

Overall: I'd recommend a pc for around $800 and save yourself a couple hundred. If you really think the styling of the macs are worth it then go for the Mac. Truth be told the isn't much difference between a good windows machine and a good mac one nowa days except that the windows based ones are far more flexible.

Also for what you want: does the software you plan to use run on windows or mac? Stuff like this has always been better on Windows machines again because of the flexibility, Windows or Linux for networking ALWAYS.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Mac.

/thread
  • If you are looking for something comparable to a gaming rig don't by an Apple.

I am not gaming .. but I need something that would be as capable because I am networking two 'computers' for an accounting program and internet. It was suggested to me to get something equivalent to the speed of a gaming system. I know squat about hardware .. that's why I am asking. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If the main objective is to network a couple of systems in order to utilize a shared accounting application then you don't need nearly the power of a gaming machine. Networking itself takes VERY few hardware resources. Unless it is one beefy program you're running, I would say just about any modern PC would be sufficient. A $500/$600 of-the-shelf PC (depending on your area) would be more than enough.

I DO NOT recommend a Dell or eMachine as they generally have proprietary hardware that can only be replaced with Dell certified parts (kind of like a Mac.)

As to the Mac: OSX is a fantastic operating system but since Apple started using Intel processors their performance has leveled to be comparable to a PC. If properly built, a PC can smoke a Mac for 3/4 of the cost.

Good luck, feel free to msg me if you have any questions.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member

As to the Mac: OSX is a fantastic operating system but since Apple started using Intel processors their performance has leveled to be comparable to a PC. If properly built, a PC can smoke a Mac for 3/4 of the cost.

This the main point, the amount of times someone says 'PCs are **** why are you buying them?' and I always go 'how much did your last PC cost?' and they almost always say 'about £400' of which case I just go 'OF COURSE IT's NOT GOING TO BE AS GOOD'

I built a PC 5 years ago, at the time it destroyed the Mac in every area (especially graphics and sound) and it only cost me £750 to build, the comparable Mac was around about £1,400!
  • livnlite
    If you are looking for something comparable to a gaming rig don't by an Apple.

If the main objective is to network a couple of systems in order to utilize a shared accounting application then you don't need nearly the power of a gaming machine. Networking itself takes VERY few hardware resources. Unless it is one beefy program you're running, I would say just about any modern PC would be sufficient. A $500/$600 of-the-shelf PC (depending on your area) would be more than enough.

I DO NOT recommend a Dell or eMachine as they generally have proprietary hardware that can only be replaced with Dell certified parts (kind of like a Mac.)

My accounting program is quite beefy, and I will be looking into getting one even more so someday. That programing is so costly, the cost alone is a deterent...but, someday, I imagine I will have to upgrade to allow for dispatching vehicles and GPS capabilites etc. (we are in a service industry). For now, all I want is to be able to function at a premium efficiency, because it's time to upgrade. I just want to make a good choice on what to get next. Do I just upgrade to a comparable system of what I have now, or do I improve with something completely different, is the question of the day. I have PC's now, but they are not as fast as I'd like to see. I don't have my accounting system hooked up to internet, and I would like to be .. if, and only if it is secure enough. I do not want anything to compromise our accounting software or data.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    I bought a Mac and love it. I never see the "blue screen of death". It runs great. Best way to test one is to go to an Apple store. If you get one, they'll help you set it up, transfer files, etc. They have some of the best customer service (at least at the Apple store near me) around.

If you buy a Mac, get the One-to-One service. You pay $99, and for one year you can take as many "classes" and one-to-one sessions at the nearest Apple store as you want. They'll teach you how to use all the software, digital photography, movies, etc. It's been totally worth it because it helped me to understand my Mac and use it more effectively. Not really helpful if you don't have an Apple store nearby, though, so check that first.

Good luck...there are so many choices it can be difficult to narrow down.
  • livnlite
    I bought a Mac and love it. I never see the "blue screen of death". It runs great. Best way to test one is to go to an Apple store. If you get one, they'll help you set it up, transfer files, etc. They have some of the best customer service (at least at the Apple store near me) around.

If you buy a Mac, get the One-to-One service. You pay $99, and for one year you can take as many "classes" and one-to-one sessions at the nearest Apple store as you want. They'll teach you how to use all the software, digital photography, movies, etc. It's been totally worth it because it helped me to understand my Mac and use it more effectively. Not really helpful if you don't have an Apple store nearby, though, so check that first.

Good luck...there are so many choices it can be difficult to narrow down.

Good advise .. I am going to an Apple store on Thursday next week (in a city that is about 120 miles from me). Access to the store is do-able just not as often as I'd like because it is a day trip for me to go there and back.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    I just got a new Dell Inspiron 15" from Newegg.com for about $700. Intel i5 process, 8gb ram, 750gb hard drive & Windows 7 64 bit. I have a Newegg preferred card and used it to get 12 months same as cash. My opinion of Apple is I like that their OS in based on BSD but they want way too much money for their stuff.

You get what you pay for.

Enjoy buying a new dell in a year. POS company.