Pizza as a vegetable

Options
WTF!! Pizza is now considered a vegetable?!! What a bunch of morons! First of all tomatoes are fruits (seeds on the inside). Second of all, pizza has almost no nutritional value. The goverment is pretty $%&*d up!

Voice your opinions please!

Replies

• A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Yep, I would say that is pretty ridiculous. Everyone knows that pizza isn't good for you no matter how you slice it. What idiots.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Your being mean and your not giving all the facts. I'm tired of left wing liberal articles that favor a biast. That article gave no facts.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    What's a "biast?"
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! If pizza is a vegetable I can start eating it again! I love pizza!! :love:
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Haha biast.... too funny.

People will do anything to defend their horrible eating habits, eh!
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I know! I saw that! That's crazy! LOL
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! If pizza is a vegetable I can start eating it again! I love pizza!! :love:

I know right! I could eat it every day! LOL Well, not really...grrr!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    It's absolutely ridiculous.. .seriously. just ridiculous!
  • jacobhammond
    Options
    News article:
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/11/17/pizza-as-vegetable-congress-proposes-new-school-lunch-bill/

(From Fox News, which last I checked isn't "left wing liberal" and doesn't "favor a biast". The ones pushing this legislation are the only ones being "mean" here.)
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    This has nothing to do on who is in power or what political party you're from.
    Bottom line pizza isn't a healthy choice of food and it is filled with empty calories. Just because a part of it has vegetable (tomato still classified as a vegetable, idiots) doesn't make it all vegetable.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Your being mean and your not giving all the facts. I'm tired of left wing liberal articles that favor a biast. That article gave no facts.
    What article are you referring too? What facts do you need. Government has considered pizza a veggie for school based lunches I believe. To me there is nothing left wing and liberal about that...Are you even on the correct post??
  • fit4mom
    Options
    Haha biast.... too funny.

People will do anything to defend their horrible eating habits, eh!
    Did you read the article and invest in what congress problem is? We are a financially devistated country with a job problem that government keeps cutting back. So yes the article was slighted.
  • staceyb00
    staceyb00 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I believe the article said they are counting the tomato sauce on the pizza as a vegetable NOT the pizza.

To be honest - I don't see a problem with serving pizza in a school lunch. We had pizza for hot lunch when I was in school. It's not just the food that kid's are eating, but sitting on their duffs playing video games and not getting outside with others a moving that is causing some of the weight problems.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    WTF!! Pizza is now considered a vegetable?!! What a bunch of morons! First of all tomatoes are fruits (seeds on the inside). Second of all, pizza has almost no nutritional value. The goverment is pretty $%&*d up!

Voice your opinions please!

The tomato sauce on school lunch pizza has been considered a vegetable serving for some time. The USDA wanted to require that there be at least .5 cups of tomato sauce to be considered a vegetable for school lunches and the Senate wants to block that recommdation and continue allowing any amount, no matter how small, to meet the requirements. There is no recommendation about pizza itself being a vegetable.

Pizza can certainly have nutritional value if you make it with the right ingredients, which is pretty much the USDA's point in the proposal. Serve pizza, but make it better.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    What article are you referring too? What facts do you need. Government has considered pizza a veggie for school based lunches I believe. To me there is nothing left wing and liberal about that...Are you even on the correct post??
    This is the article that seems to be the defending factor that started all the talk on these posts.
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45306416/ns/today-today_health/t/pizza-vegetable-congress-says-yes/#.TsY7qFawXAg
  • Arbright
    Arbright Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Man I always thought I was eating bread topped with cheese. And the sauce content makes it a whole vegetable eh?? Where do they get their pizza cuz half the time I can't even find the sauce on those dried out slices. Veggie time...Cool! Very cool hahaha!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    As a teacher I see horrid lunches everyday...some kids eat them some don't...but they make up the "guidelines" handed from government. Thats not the problem though. Its the parents who let their kids eat McDs for dinner and not make them play or exercise!!! TV, video games, computers, etc cause kids to not be active!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    The whole problem comes down to lobbyists from certain food industries arguing to prevent healthier school lunches. If food standards in school lunches got healthier, then those companies would lose business.

I'm all for making kid's lunches better in schools. But as a parent of one in public school, and one in preschool, we find its much better to bypass this entirely and just make the lunches ourselves (ok. its actually my wife who makes them). This way we know exactly what they are getting.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options

I know right! I could eat it every day! LOL Well, not really...grrr!

I know! I'm one of those that admit that I love junk food! And pizza, ah............ I would marry it! I even let my kids eat it! :-) I have found a way to make a low cal pizza to fix my craving. So I'm okay
  • fit4mom
    Options
    If our governors (WA state) didn't feel the need to cut back and cut out school programs we'd have more healthy options. It's really up to the parents to speak out and speak up. Nobody wants to get their hands dirty.