women-Mirena

Options
2»

Replies

• KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Had mine for 4.5 years. Had 1 period after insertion and NONE since then. No affect on weight gain/loss thus far.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I've been on Mirena for 1.5 years. I love it! I feel "left out" when I read TOM threads because I don't have a TOM anymore. No more PMS, no more bloating, no more pains... Just happiness! Didn't influence my wieght loss at all.
  • ahedrick99
    ahedrick99 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have had it for a year and I have no regrets! I love not having to worry about taking a pill ereryday and I do not think it has affected my weight either way.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My OB/GYN recommended Mirena about 5 -6 years ago to stop my TOM due to them being very heavy (I have a bleeding disorder).. Took about a year but after that just occasional spotting a couple of times a year...no more TOM! If you are not using it as birthcontrol (I had a tubaligation) they apparently never need to be removed. This was the doctors last ditch effort before doing a hysterectomy. Luckily it worked like a charm for me!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you women who have had a great experience with the Mirena.
    My twin got one inserted, and it ruptured her uterus and travelled over to her hipbone. She had to have surgery to have it removed, and due to the scar tissue on her uterus, she has been advised to no get pregnant again by several doctors.
    My best friend got pregnant about six months after she had a Mirena inserted. She now has a happy, healthy, six month old.
    That is two too many problems for me!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I've lost all 58.5 pounds so far with Mirena inserted - I'd say it absolutely has not affected my weight loss. I also don't have any negative side effects. I like it.
  • baybear14
    baybear14 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have had it for over 2 years. Haven't had a period since I got it. Love it!!
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Has anyone on here had the Mirena inserted before ever being pregnant? Just curious... I know there are thoughts on both sides of this issue, so I'm all ears.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Has anyone on here had the Mirena inserted before ever being pregnant? Just curious... I know there are thoughts on both sides of this issue, so I'm all ears.

I've never been pregnant, and I was bragging on the first page about how much I love mine. :)
  • xmommyof2boysx
    xmommyof2boysx Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for a year and a half and I absolutely love it! I still get my monthly, but very light. And no weight gain / problem loosing weight.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm considering Mirena after baby #2. Anybody get theirs right after a pregnancy?

Yes. 6 weeks after I had my son.

Did it mess with your ability to Breast Feed at all? I wasn't able to BF my first child and if I get the chance to BF #2 I don't really want anything messing that up.
  • NeilsWifex
    Options
    HI,
    I had mine fitted 6 weeks after having my baby, 17 mths on its ace! Not on period, on pain, weight loss normal....would recommend it.
    After having a baby you do have to wait the full 6 weeks though
  • wocm15
    wocm15 Posts: 81
    Options

I've never been pregnant, and I had the Paragaurd (like the Mirena, except copper instead of hormones) inserted almost two years ago, and I suffered through the worst pain I've ever felt in my life! It would feel like someone was stabbing me in my right side, and I could barely function during TOM. It really affected my ability to exercise and be active since I had shooting pains anytime I did anything remotely physical. I had several ultrasounds to make sure that it was inserted correctly and that I didn't have an Ovarian cyst or something else. I finally had it removed after a year, and now all the pain has gone away. I would definitely agree that it's not for women who've never had kids.
  • Talus65
    Options
    Good good so far the reponses here are positive experiences! After one month of bleeding I think I am finally leveling out!
    There are so many articles and blogs out there with peoples experiences I think just reading an article about weight gain stuck in my head! Thanks everyone for sharing thier experience! I'm hoping to be period free and thin for the new year! !!!:bigsmile:

Michele
  • heidithompson78
    Options
    Question for the ladies...does any one have or know of any one using the Mirena birthcontrol device?
    (In my pre-menopausal case to slow the periods!)
    I 've read mixed reviews about people having problems losing weight with it? I'd like to know if anyone has had any issues?

Thanks! Michele

i have the Mirena and have for bout 7 years I love love love it. No peroid in 7 years.
  • Grinnix
    Grinnix Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm considering Mirena after baby #2. Anybody get theirs right after a pregnancy?

Yes. 6 weeks after I had my son.

I got Mirena right after son #2. I had two c-sections so insertion should have been similar to not having child birth. Insertion was not really painful, but uncomfortable. I did not have a period while I was on it, since I was still breastfeeding. I did like that aspect of it. I didn't have any weight gain or any other issues...it was great.

We decided to try for another child last year and I had it removed. The strings ended up in my uterus. They had to dilate me and use the dilating tools. After a couple of tries they wanted me to go make another appointment (the initial appt, the ultrasound, this appt, and another....) to be put to sleep and have it removed. It was very painful but I told them to just get it out.

Before Mirena I had a 28 day cycle with an average period. Since the removal, a year ago, I have had 24 day cycles and 36 day cycles. I am also relatively certain that at least two months I did not ovulate.

Since the removal I have read up on side effects and other issues. I am very upset that one side effect can be infertility. I am irritated that my Dr's did not even mention that being a possibility.

Should I ever get pregnant again, I will only do BC.
  • activities_girl
    Options
    i have lost weight quicker since I got it out. also, it caused a lot of pain during sex which made sex a no-go! my obgyn said it was in the right place but i got it taken out because it was ruining my sex life.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have had the Mirena for around 3 yrs now I think. I think I am going to switch to paraguard though. I ave very severe random cramps and my periods are all over the place, coming and going in no real order. I also started sprouting hair on my chin and have had bad constipation ever since getting it. I can lose weight just fine. I lost 25 last year no problem. Gained back more when I quit watching what I eat. And so I am loosing again. Its kind of a love hate with the Mirena.