Beginning to think that I'll always be fat and ugly...

Options
2»

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us have a problem realizing exactly where we are after the weight loss - and I've only lost 28 lbs! Today, I asked my daughter to point out someone who's about my size the next time we go out. I'm hoping that will give me a comparison point. You could try the same. Ask someone you trust to point out a "before" you and a "now" you.

I have a good friend who also suffers from self esteem issues. Her therapist told her to post self affirming quotes around the house so that she sees a bit of encouragement every day. On the mirror, things like, "I am a strong woman", "I am in charge of my own destiny", "I am truly beautiful", "I have accomplished a great deal and the best is yet to be". Stuff like that. Notes in the fridge about eating what she needs, not what she wants. Notes in the car. Notes tucked into pockets. You get the drift. Anyway, it's helped her. It might help you. The other thing to remember is that you are loved. Looks are relative. Go to a museum and look at paintings from 200 years ago that show what people then thought of as female beauty.

And, remember - models in print are airbrushed, and on tv have undergone an hour with a makeup artist. No one is perfect.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    oh girl this sucks...im sorry to hear youre feeling this way. 93 lbs..this is amazing. take that in itself and think about it...a-freakin'-mazing...and you are beautiful. do something for YOU and just for you right now. buy a nice outfit, a form flattering outfit and take on the day...one day at a time..*hugs*
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

You comments scream 'find a counsellor' to me! Your feelings and beliefs about yourself seem to be beyond the 'self-help' range to me (especially the not leaving the house bit) but a good counsellor can help you sort out the truth from the lies. I bet there's a lot more going on that you really need to deal with. Once you have, you'll wonder why you put up with it for so long! (I've been through extensive counselling after a crappy childhood myself).

So, I suggest having a look around - try one session and don't be afraid to try someone else if that counsellor doesn't click with you. You need someone you feel comfortable with, who is well qualified (in NZ we have a counsellors association, I expect you have something similar) and experienced.

Also, what about popping along to your GP and talking about whether some medication for anxiety or depression might help? This is an awesome website about depression http://www.depression.org.nz/content/home and Psychcentral.com has good stuff about everything mental health related.

I wish you all the best and really hope you can find some help. I promise you can feel 100% better with work and outside help so please start the process!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others who recommended you find a professional to talk with. There is NOTHING wrong with doing so - MANY people can benefit from having someone outside of their normal life to bounce thoughts/feelings/ideas off of, who is trained in helping us help ourselves. I've been seeing a Licensed Clinical Social Worker for some time to deal with some stuff, and it really has helped. I think that you recognize that some of your thoughts regarding your appearance aren't logical, and you said you want to change this pattern of thoughts - seeking professional help will make it much easier to do so. There are likely things behind your thoughts/feelings that you don't even realize, and they can help you get to the bottom of things and make the changes you want to make. :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Whatever problems we had before losing weight, losing the weight does not cure them.
    Wise words. If your confidence level is almost entirely dependent on your weight, that's a problem, whether or not you feel confident at the moment.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I dated this guy once who was a horrible person. He had no money, no job, no future, and a past with a prison record as long as your arm. He was also fat and sloppy and dirty.

Know what he had going for him that I never have? Self-confidence. He must have been born with it. And it worked for him most of the time, despite the fact that this is a man who, I assure you, never deserves a good thing to ever happen to him in his miserable life.

So whenever I start bashing myself, I remember him and I think to myself that I'm a thousand times better looking, smarter, and just over all better than he ever thought of being. Plus I bathe.

You can borrow him if you want, or maybe you know someone like that yourself, someone who is just rotten and has nothing going for him or her except self-confidence. Steal their confidence and make it your own.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'll throw in there with everyone else, you're not fat or ugly at all.

I do understand to a lesser extent what you're feeling though. I've spent most of my adult life somewhere between "overweight" and "friggin huge" and now that I'm reasonably healthy I have trouble seeing it. If I don't watch myself I gravitate towards the big and tall sections when I don't wear clothes that big anymore. Whenever people start talking about doing something physical my immediate reaction is "I'm too big to do that".

Time seems to be helping me. I catch myself now. Rather than ending up standing in the wrong section of the store I'll take a couple of steps in that direction and then change course for where I need to be. Rather than saying saying I can't do something, I'll think it and then catch myself and say, "Sure, let's go".

I've maintained all along that for me losing weight is relatively easy compared to changing the way I see myself. I know these aren't really answers but you're not alone out there. All I know is that for me even though I still struggle at times I'm ten times happier than I was 60 lbs ago. Good luck.

Steve
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have learned that it doesn't matter what other people say. They can tell you they love you, that you are beautiful. That you are thin. If you don't have love for yourself, they may as well be talking to a brick wall. No one can change what you see in a mirror. Only YOU can do that.

If you keep telling yourself you are ugly, you will always be ugly. You listen to everything your mind tells you. If you tell yourself you are beautiful, and banish all negative thoughts, then you will see yourself transform.

Thebfact thatbyou lost over 90 lbs and aren't all "hell yeah, I'm a rockstar, kick *kitten*, successful gorgeous goddess", which I would personally tattoo to my face if I accomplished something so amazing, is proof how weight loss and body image are 2 separate things. I was raised with a mother who told me I was ugly and stupid daily. I had to take her words out of my head in order to move on and live my life.

Even though you tell your daughters they're beautiful, kids know when their mom isn't happy with herself. The fake it til you make it isn't for you, it's for them.

If you want to talk, please message me!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    ... and, this may be extreme, but one way I snapped out of my funk is with this:

Let's say I go to the doctor, and find out I am dying of some incurable cancer, and have less than a year to live.

What would I see If I looked in the mirror then?
    How would I view my other problems that I swore I couldn't handle?

My little flaws and my financial problems and marital squabbles would look pretty damn good in comparison to saying goodbye to everything I know and everyone I love.
  • From looking at your profile picture, I can tell you have a pretty face and have beautiful skin. Maybe you're just a little depressed, have you considered seeking a professional?

Dear, you are not your body ... you are your inner person, that's who you are, and I'm sure that inner person of yours is beautiful, capable, funny and many other good things. You've lost 93 lb! It's time to see yourself as a winner and a role model. *-*
  • Cpuretopaz43
    Options
    My dear one, I struggle with low self esteem on a daily basis.
    I had a mother who was mommy dearest, a sister that couldn't tell the truth if you paid her a million dollars, and an ex husband that almost destroyed me.
    I would love to do this journey together if you would like, and you can message me anytime you need an encourager!
    Two is always easier than one!!
  • nangreene
    Options
    Try to feel grateful for all the blessings in your life. I don't know if you believe in God, but I can tell you that through God all things are possible. Don't give up. Stick with it, have faith and when you feel like you do now, pray about it. Ask God to give you the courage to persevere. God Bless! :smile:
  • bublita
    Options
    I concur with what's been said here - you are a pretty woman. I too thought I was unattractive for the longest time and then I started taking risks in life and pulling things off i didn't think i could do - I sang in front of 500 people - I wrote a book and got it published- don't get me wrong - I still struggle with low self-esteem - but taking action really helps.

I've been watching Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss edition and that's inspiring. It's not typical that most of us could work out that hard, but it is great to watch people change their bodies and change their lives. I do think too, though, as was said here, losing weight will not cure the demons we ate over - those change with compassionate caring for ourselves. Best of everything to you! You deserve it. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Plus I bathe.

^ I had a good LOL.