Diet coke, I will drink it if I want to.

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't really like pop, but I will defend your right to enjoy it.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I'll have regular Coke. Aspartame tastes like @ss to me. And there ARE studies on aspartame, but if you love what you're drinking, I wouldn't read them.

Show me one that PROVES it is harmful when taking in reasonable doses?

I don't mean "may", "might", "maybe" etc. Show actual facts.

You can research this just as easily as anyone else. Why do you have to be "shown"? It has been shown to cause problems in lab rats. If you want to read the literature, then go ahead and find it yourself. Why should anyone hold your hand and "show" it to you? Likewise, if you don't believe it, go find your own research that disproves it.

I have, and i did. I found nothing showing that it has been PROVEN to cause ill effects in most people when taken in moderation. The way you said what you did implied you may have found something unpleasant. Since i couldn't find anything saying it's dangerous in normal doses, i was wondering what you found, as surely you wouldn't say that if it was just from the usual scaremongering stuff and myths that fly around here....surely not?!

Lab rat tests =/= Human tests.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero tastes heaps better than Diet Coke.......

I :heart: my water but sometimes I need a fizzy drink......Coke Zero is the only diet drink that I like and only 1 calorie..........
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Diet Cream Soda my Walmart just started carrying-- it's better than dessert (ok maybe not BETTER, but it does make a good dessert sometimes)

Also diet Sierra Mist is pretty much the only thing I can get to stay in my stomach when I'm nauseous, which is often since I have lupus.

I have seen people that drink so much diet soda it makes my head spin, but that's their business. I have one soda per day at most.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I'll protest. Diet Pepsi is better.

NOPE - Diet Coke is the yummiest soda!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    oh how I enjoy a diet Dr Pepper!
  • lml1042
    lml1042 Posts: 121
    Options
    Love my diet coke. I used to drink a 2 liter per day now I'm down to one 12oz can a day. I will never give up my diet coke.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to rant about diet coke and this seemed like the appropriate place to do it. There has not been enough research to conclude that the artificial sweeteners can cause cancer or anything like that. Just because those sweeteners can make a person crave more sugar and end up gaining more weight in the long run from over indulging in sweets, does not mean that I am going to go into my kitchen and eat 12 spoonfuls of sugar everytime I have a diet coke. My teeth are fine and my sodium intake is fine as well.
    I work out, I eat what I want in moderation, and I will enjoy a diet coke whenever I please.

Not trying to start any arguments it's just been bugging me that so many people on this website bash on diet soda. Yes water is better no doubt about it, but if you already drink enough of that why is it so wrong to have a nice, cold, refreshing, bubbly, little can of diet coke?

Well here's my 2 cents on the subject.............

1. Sugar addiction
    Diet sodas boast of having no sugar at all, and still having the same sweet taste. That’s because diet sodas contain a chemical ingredient called Aspartame. This is the same chemical make-up of consumer sweeteners such as NutraSweet and Equal. Basically, Aspartame makes your brain think that what you’re eating is sweet. This triggers your body to start craving for sweet things. So, aside from being unable to cut down on your soda intake, you might find yourself constantly reaching for that cupcake or frequently craving carbohydrates.

2. Dehydration
    Diet soda does not cause dehydration, but studies show that those who reach for diet sodas tend to use that as replacement for water. Water is the best hydrator, especially for those who have a strict workout regimen. So even if you’ve taken on a fit and healthy lifestyle, but your diet is composed of a lot of diet soda, chances are your weight-loss might come to a standstill. Without proper hydration your fitness goal may remain unattainable.

3. Caffeine Effects
    You may be free from fattening sugars, but you’re not free from the negative effects of caffeine. Caffeine is a diuretic, so you may think that you’re quenching your thirst with the soda, when in fact you’re actually losing more fluids. Caffeine is also a highly addictive substance that has been linked to insomnia, anxiety disorders and fatigue.

4. Aspartame Risks
    Aspartame, the sweetener found in diet sodas, is considered by the US Food and Drug Administration to be safe for consumption. However, they do acknowledge that this artificial sweetener has been linked to a number of side effects, such as dizziness, migraines, memory loss, diarrhea and mood swings. Furthermore, studies have shown that rodents exposed to large amounts of aspartame have developed brain tumors and lymphoma. There is no hard medical evidence that aspartame causes cancer and illness, but it remains controversial because of the potential risks involved.

5. Weight Gain
    Studies have shown that diet soda can actually cause weight gain. In laboratory tests, animals that consumed sweeteners steadily increased their daily calorie intake, thus gaining weight. In another study conducted among diet soda drinkers, 48% of them showed an increase in metabolic syndrome – leading to significant weight gain. Though there is no hard evidence to support the fact, the studies show a correlation between packing on more pounds and chugging down more diet soda and artificial sweeteners.

I respect your 2 cents, but all of these statements have been debunked by science.

1. Aspartame doesn't trick your body into thinking it's sweet, it IS sweet.

2. ALL fluids you drink hydrate you, as they are mostly water, your body doesn't care what the source is.

3. Caffeine is not bad for you, and does not dehydrate you. Diuretic is not the same as dehydrate. Just to point out, WATER is a diuretic.

4. Association and correlation are not the same thing as causation. There haven't been any studies that have shown aspartame to actually cause any of the symptoms it's associated with.

5. Again correlation does not equal causation. Do people drink diet soda and get metabolic syndrome? Or do they switch to diet soda because they already have metabolic syndrome?

You even said yourself there's no actual evidence.
  • Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love my diet coke, though can't keep it in the house for long with two teenage boys drinking it. I do get caffeine free coke, but that's not because of the diuretic problems, more as I have a high heart rate and it doesn't help and my son can't sleep if he has any caffeine.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to rant about diet coke and this seemed like the appropriate place to do it. There has not been enough research to conclude that the artificial sweeteners can cause cancer or anything like that. Just because those sweeteners can make a person crave more sugar and end up gaining more weight in the long run from over indulging in sweets, does not mean that I am going to go into my kitchen and eat 12 spoonfuls of sugar everytime I have a diet coke. My teeth are fine and my sodium intake is fine as well.
    I work out, I eat what I want in moderation, and I will enjoy a diet coke whenever I please.

Not trying to start any arguments it's just been bugging me that so many people on this website bash on diet soda. Yes water is better no doubt about it, but if you already drink enough of that why is it so wrong to have a nice, cold, refreshing, bubbly, little can of diet coke?

Because it tastes horrible and there's nothing good in it at all.

But knock yourself out if you love it. I'll stick to coffee for my caffeine fix.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Diet sunkist is great! Yummy orange bubbly goodness. I'm sorry but it is so weak that people say sodium is an argument against it..: it contains what, less than 1% of the daily total. Just saying, that's not really very much.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    We can dance if we want to, we can leave our troubles behind.

But really, people should stop worrying about everyone else and just worry about themselves. Nothing is more annoying than unsolicited advice, except unsolicited advice that is uninformed.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Love my Diet Pepsi :)
    I drink water most of the day, but there's no way I will ever give up diet soda..
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I get the most grief from my husband and daughter. Something about the caramel coloring sucking the calcium from my bones. So, now I mix it up with Diet Mountain Dew! They're still not happy.

Really though, this is supposed to be about developing a healthy lifestyle that's maintainable, not about punishing ourselves. Maybe diet sodas aren't the best, but unless you like to eat totally organic and know the farmers who raise your meat products personally, you can't guarantee you're not eating chemicals with every meal. I say eat what we want, watch portion sizes, and stay within calorie counts. Eating should be a pleasure, not a punishment.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I get the most grief from my husband and daughter. Something about the caramel coloring sucking the calcium from my bones. So, now I mix it up with Diet Mountain Dew! They're still not happy.
    Nope, phosphoric acid is thought to do that, although even that is inconclusive.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Love my Diet Pepsi :)
    I drink water most of the day, but there's no way I will ever give up diet soda..
    Yea! Another diet Pepsi lover!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TMasticTB
    TMasticTB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke, Diet Mt. Dew, Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper. Any restaurant that serves Diet Mt. Dew and/or Diet Dr. Pepper is a favorite of mine. Although since I started I've tried to cut down my cola drinking. Probably down to 3-4 drinks a week, which is fine for me.
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You're right. I dont drink fizzy drinks anymore, but when I'm eating out, instead of opting for water I get a diet coke instead.
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    Well, I prefer diet pepsi. Rock on. :)