"Facon" a BACON Substitute (Really!)

Options

Replies

• Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to subsitute bacon. There's nothing unhealthy about it.
  • rickyd88
    rickyd88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As a vegatarian (7 years!) I eat 'facon' and I quite enjoy it. Tastes nothing like the real stuff, but I can enjoy eating it without guilt.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You can take my bacon when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

^ Nicely done sir.
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I never liked real bacon. I find it disgusting - the smell, the greasiness, the animal face behind it. However, for some strange reason, I like fake bacon. Don't ask me why. I know it doesn't make sense.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of real bacon. Hormel makes an uncured bacon with no nitrites. All natural. I don't worry about sodium because my body started processing sodium better when I gave up grains and sugars (also doesn't retain water anymore).

Eggs and bacon most mornings! I love Primal!!

You and me both! I love bacon and will only eat the real thing. I've lost the weight I have so far with still eating bacon pretty much every day.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    So, to be healthier you're replacing slices of straight belly meat & fat from a pig with chopped, processed and re-formed into a cube, pig parts?

Consider me in the sticking with my center cut bacon camp. :)
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I love the real, farm raised bacon. :D I get plenty of it from my dad and our pigs on the farm...when I was doing chores and had to feed the pigs and they were getting annoying I used to yell at them to behave or they would be bacon on my table...haha I'm weird and I fully admit it. :D

In general I prefer everything real...I don't trust all the "fake" versions of stuff and what they put in it. It scares me...so I'd rather just get it real and put up with the nutritional consequences.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the effort to share.. but really, bacon is not the devil! It's not bad for you, just have to fit it into your daily cal allowance!
  • stix_n_stones
    Options

I think the question is, isn't there something morally unhealthy about it??
  • stix_n_stones
    Options

• servilia
    Options

No.
  • novamegs
    Options
    Morningstar farms makes a great veggie bacon, I've been eating in it lieu of real bacon for about 7 years and never missed the real stuff.
  • meaganh13
    meaganh13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think that people really misinterpret what other people post... I didn't realize how many people were so passionate about bacon but I thought I'd share a tip that allows me not to indulge in the foods that I have been told that are bad for me (from my doctor, nutritionists, diet and wellness books, etc.). Never have I seen a healthy diet plan that 'includes' bacon. I do agree that things in moderation are okay, but I was just trying to help those that like bacon a lot.

Also, I am not talking about "fake" bacon, I am talking about lean (not chopped pig parts as referenced earlier by another poster), unprocessed ham cut into slices and fried crispy in some grapeseed oil.

Sheesh!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

No.

I second this no.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for almost 20 years so I don't really remember what bacon tastes like
    however I discovered a product called "Smoky Maple Bacon Marinated Tempeh" and I absolutely love it!
    for 7 slices only 130 calories and 1 g of fat!

Tempeh = SOY and is not good for a good majority of people.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Also, I am not talking about "fake" bacon, I am talking about lean (not chopped pig parts as referenced earlier by another poster), unprocessed ham cut into slices and fried crispy in some grapeseed oil.

I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no "cube" part of a pig. Any cooked ham product, lean or not, that is in the shape of a cube, loaf, or otherwise perfectly formed shape is a combination of different parts of the pig that have been processes together and formed into the neat and tidy shape that you are slicing off of.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I think that people really misinterpret what other people post... I didn't realize how many people were so passionate about bacon but I thought I'd share a tip that allows me not to indulge in the foods that I have been told that are bad for me (from my doctor, nutritionists, diet and wellness books, etc.). Never have I seen a healthy diet plan that 'includes' bacon. I do agree that things in moderation are okay, but I was just trying to help those that like bacon a lot.

Sheesh!

A lot of ham is processed into ham from "pig parts".................Good quality ham is NOT cheap.

I eat bacon nearly every day, but I get mine from a local butcher who buys from local farmers............or I get it straight from the farm.

There is NOTHING like fresh, fresh bacon.
  • Grokette
    Options

I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no "cube" part of a pig. Any cooked ham product, lean or not, that is in the shape of a cube, loaf, or otherwise perfectly formed shape is a combination of different parts of the pig that have been processes together and formed into the neat and tidy shape that you are slicing off of.

Ha ha, nicely put.
  • servilia
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for almost 20 years so I don't really remember what bacon tastes like
    however I discovered a product called "Smoky Maple Bacon Marinated Tempeh" and I absolutely love it!
    for 7 slices only 130 calories and 1 g of fat!

Tempeh = SOY and is not good for a good majority of people.

Agreed.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    You can take my bacon when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

AMEN!!!