whats thanksgiving?

Options
xSophia19
xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
seen a few of my friends on here post things about thanksgiving. what exactly is it?! am i missing out on a huge party or something?

Replies

• drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    google is your friend
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's an American holiday basically celebrating the harvest and giving thanks for blessings we've had throughout the year.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is a major holiday in the Unites States ... well, now it's almost mostly a springboard into the Christmas season (boo at that!). I'm assuming here that you are in another country :wink:
    The name kind of says it all ... Thanks giving...
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    It's an American holiday basically celebrating the harvest and giving thanks for blessings we've had throughout the year.

We celebrate it in Canada too.......
  • margurithrt
    Options
    More or less, it's rather like Christmas or Easter depending on where you are. People tend to get together and eat lots of food.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options

Actually it's a North American holiday... we celebrate in Canada as well only we celebrate in October.
  • nikki91950
    Options
    i thought this was a joke at first. i can't stop laughing.
  • kahlee2000
    Options
    It is also a huge meal -- with calories out of site! I'm already looking for healthy alternatives!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Oh, and the celebration consists of getting together with family and friends and eating until you can't button your pants. :-)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Evidently, it's a day for many an MFPer to PANIC!
  • rml_16
    Options

Someone from Canada posted yesterday that Canadian Thanksgiving is entirely different. My cousin's husband is Canadian and he never makes a big deal about it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Not the one that's coming up.
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Obviously you're not in the US. :) It's the third Thursday of every November, and it's a holiday for families to get together and give thanks for everything they have, and most of all, EAT. Thanksgiving is ALL about the food. Traditionally you have turkey, grean bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, rolls, and pumpkin pie. All very diet-friendly, ha! Everyone eats until they are stuffed then lay around watching a football game. Then on Friday the stores open super early (4am early) and we go shopping to get really great deals on Christmas presents. In the US, we're spread so far apart that for many families it's the only time we see each other all year. Wednesday is a massive travel day in the US.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Someone from Canada posted yesterday that Canadian Thanksgiving is entirely different. My cousin's husband is Canadian and he never makes a big deal about it.

It isn't that different. It is a holiday that we spend with our families and enjoy a big traditional turkey dinner.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the celebration consists of getting together with family and friends and eating until you can't button your pants. :-)

^^This (solution is to wear stretch pants)

I'm also surprised that there has been no mention of the origin of the American Thanksgiving..

Sophia: Started with the Pilgrims having a feast in Massachusetts in 1620something to celebrate an extraordinary harvest. The local Native Americans were also invited.

But yea- now its a huge pig out with family ...
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Actually it's a North American holiday... we celebrate in Canada as well only we celebrate in October.
    More accurately, it's a holiday primarily celebrated in the US and Canada. Mexico, part of North America, does not officially celebrate the holiday.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Obviously you're not in the US. :) It's the third Thursday of every November, and it's a holiday for families to get together and give thanks for everything they have, and most of all, EAT. Thanksgiving is ALL about the food. Traditionally you have turkey, grean bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, rolls, and pumpkin pie. All very diet-friendly, ha! Everyone eats until they are stuffed then lay around watching a football game. Then on Friday the stores open super early (4am early) and we go shopping to get really great deals on Christmas presents. In the US, we're spread so far apart that for many families it's the only time we see each other all year. Wednesday is a massive travel day in the US.
    Fourth Thursday.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Sorrry i live in the UK, so when my american friends mention it i have noo idea what it is and i was just wanting to know!

I think the UK should do thanksgiving! Id be goood at celebrating with drinks and food =)

But noooo the UK is tooo lame for that sorta thing!
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options

I guess it depends on the person. My family certainly makes a big deal of it and it is a Statutory Holiday. We do the turkey and all the trimming complete with pumpkin pie and always have.

We don't have Black Friday though. Our big sale day is Boxing day which is the day after Christmas.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    seen a few of my friends on here post things about thanksgiving. what exactly is it?! am i missing out on a huge party or something?

It's my favorite holiday. No one judges you for how much you eat that day because everyone is too busy stuffing their own face.... Hee Hee.

My cousin hosts every year and she is a gormet chef, so it's yum!!! My family gets together at her house and we drink wine and chat and eat, then go for a walk... it's great fun.

Where are you from?