What do you do while exercising?

Options
At the moment I listen to music on my phone while using the equipment at the gym.
Is there anything in particular you find helps pass the time quicker and stops you from feeling bored?
Particular album that's motivating? Or a podcast? read a book? watch a show or movie? or something else?
I need some new material!

Replies

• RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Right now my exercise is hiking, so I just take in nature:) its rather relaxing... almost meditating.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I love Super Mash Bros, all of their music is free on their website :D It really pumps me up!
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    I am consistently reminding myself why I am doing all this : )
  • Missyrth
    Missyrth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i only walk on the treadmill at home.. but I watch movies. I get so into them that time passes right by..:)
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Generally I'm listening to my iPod (the music in the gym is rubbish, and I find that heavy rock music helps me to keep a good running pace) and fantasising about various things...:') as the workout gets more intense I find myself pushing for more and more goals and I can't focus on anything else any more, though.
  • alz6690
    Options
    I always find that once I've set the time I want to workout for, covering the timer up really helps! But other than that I find that if I get music that I love or that reminds me of stuff I've done or family/bf. I end up thinking about that rather than my workout. For example, last year I went to Afric to work with children out there, we taught them all "I just cant wait to be king" from the lion king! LOL! Great memories. Hope that you find some music that works for you too!
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I listen to music or I tune into the TVs at the gym. This may sound a little masochistic, but a lot of the times I tune into the Food Network while exercising! I thought it would just be tortuous or make me hungry, but it was sort of like looking at a dirty magazine in a way, haha!

I can look, but no touch! When I leave the gym, I feel like I've had my 'cheat' of delicious food without eating any of it, and it makes my hour on the treadmill fly by!
  • Gunff
    Gunff Posts: 47
    Options
    I watch ESPN or ESPN2, Check my fantasy football leagues, or I'm on my phone reading MFP Blogs, or news, sometimes even read books while on the elliptical.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    If I'm exercising hard enough I haven't time to focus on anything than the run and pushing myself...same on the bike... I like calculating my current speed etc in my head.... I also watch and listen to all the music videos on the telly screens and sing a long (breathily!)
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I listen to my MP3 player if I'm running outside, but when I go to my gym I normally watch the tv connected to the treadmill.
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    If an Elliptical or Treadmill is available that has a TV I get on it... if it doesn't I listen to music on my phone. On some days when I'm not limited for time, I put the towel over my timer and go until I can hardly go any longer!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Ipod while running and skiing. If I hike I go with friends so I talk with them :bigsmile:
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    To make myself do the elliptical longer I only read my nook when I am on it. The book I am reading is good and makes it easy to pass the time and I keep going longer.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I found a sport that doesnt rely on time or distance. Orienteering! You have to collect the markers - and thats all I think about, the time flies - I dont worry about how much distance Ive covered or how much longer there is to go. I run, but in our area there are lots of walkers too. Google it if it sparks your interest - there might be one in your area.
  • TawniRenee
    Options
    If I am alone I will read my nook. The cover I got with it makes it not slide around. If my girlfriends are with me I alternate between talking to them, listening to them and thinking about why I am doing this... and imagining myself healthy and happy by the pool next summer! (the elliptical at my apartment gym faces the pool):bigsmile:
  • amaryllis88
    amaryllis88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I usually bring a magazine with me, preferably one with lots of articles, tidbits, and things to read, like Star, and First. I'm looking to get an android phone for christmas so I can listen to music, that would probably be helpful, but what I love listening to when I exercise is comedy, mainly either Jeff Foxworthy, or George Carlin. Just listening to them passes the time along for me, and keeps me in a good mood while working out.
  • igora_soma
    Options
    I run outside so I tend to people watch (not in the creepy way) or else I try to make a mental check list of things I need to do. I also have to try REALLY hard not to sing out loud to my music :)
  • Appleness
    Options
    thanks all! some great ideas out there.
    Sometimes they have alright shows on the tvs in front of the cardio area that I might tune in to, but lately its just football and midday movies. I love midday movies but with only half hour to workout (as I go in my lunch break) I'd miss most of the movie lol.
    Think I might get some more music on my phone, maybe a couple of episodes of a tv show too.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, so when I'm on an easy/recovery run, I listen to podcasts; either NPR's Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me or Adam Carolla (how's that for a combo?!?). If I'm on a "test" or "tempo" run, or if I'm running a race, I've got a 180 beat per minute playlist I downloaded to keep my turnover up.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I do music(like club type music) that has a fast beat and keeps you moving. If I'm on a treadmill, I always turn on TLC.. and watch whatever is on there.

For weightlifting, it's pure music.. and I get lost in trying to push myself harder and lift heavier.