Tea = Water?

Options

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

The ops question was should they put tea under the "water" catagory if its in fact not water. That where the chemical make up of water came into play.

Right, but you're missing the point of logging water. We log water to make sure we are hydrated. If you want to be hydrated AND lose weight, then you might want to avoid ingesting a bunch of high calorie beverages to keep yourself hydrated. No point in drinking (and logging) all that.

Logging water isn't some arbitrary exercise to test your basic knowledge of chemistry. It's about staying hydrated.

For some people, logging water is also about drinking to "feel full" and prevent eating unnecessary calories. Depending on your goals, you may decide whether or not it's wise to "count" tea as water.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yup!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Then you've got your muscle water and your fat water. They hydrate differently.

My water hydrates better than YOUR water :P
  • mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I know common sense is a dying art, but do you really think someone is going to run off and drink bleach based on that comment?

apparent hyperbole and sarcasm have died as well...

Enjoy your 8 cups of eggnog a day though...really

:laugh: :laugh:
    I agree with the comment about the teeth and about the color of your urine. It should be clearish to light yellow. If its dark, drink more clean water.

I'd like to add....
    Soda and artificial sweeteners are also full of hard to pronounce chemicals which are not good for your body's many filtration systems that have a hard time dealing with inorganic matter. Clean water and clean food, if you have access to it, are the two of the best things for overall health and wellness.

Assuming that is what your journey is about....I know some are mainly concerned with weight. And, in that case....if it doesn't have calories, then by all means, count it however you wish...

I advocate clean water over anything for myself and only count clean water for myself.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

My water hydrates better than YOUR water :P

Nahhh aaaahhhhh!! Mine hydrates waaayyyy better than your water!! :tongue:
  • mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    There's also hard water.........does that count.
    But which weighs more?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    oh man...gut=busted
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    On the advice of a urologist, I only count plain water as water. That way I am assured of getting at LEAST 8 glasses per day. All other drinks I log under my "foods" as whatever they actually are. Liver and kidney diseases run rampant in my family, so I need to be certain I stay hydrated and flushed. By only counting water as water, and sometimes drinking other liquids in ADDITION to my 8+ glasses of water, I do that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I know common sense is a dying art, but do you really think someone is going to run off and drink bleach based on that comment?

apparent hyperbole and sarcasm have died as well...

Enjoy your 8 cups of eggnog a day though...really

:laugh: :laugh:
    I agree with the comment about the teeth and about the color of your urine. It should be clearish to light yellow. If its dark, drink more clean water.

I'd like to add....
    Soda and artificial sweeteners are also full of hard to pronounce chemicals which are not good for your body's many filtration systems that have a hard time dealing with inorganic matter. Clean water and clean food, if you have access to it, are the two of the best things for overall health and wellness.

Assuming that is what your journey is about....I know some are mainly concerned with weight. And, in that case....if it doesn't have calories, then by all means, count it however you wish...

I advocate clean water over anything for myself and only count clean water for myself.

If you were to break down the actual "Ingredients lists" of most natural foods, you'd find quite a few "hard to pronounce chemicals" there, as well. There was a thread around here where someone did that, and broke down exactly what was in an apple, and other fruits and vegetables. Ahh, here it is, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/315770-definition-of-a-chemical they're scattered throughout that thread.

Also, artificial sweeteners like aspartame are honestly not too difficult for the body to break down, as it's made from 2 amino acids that the body already creates and breaks down on a constant basis.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

If you were to break down the actual "Ingredients lists" of most natural foods, you'd find quite a few "hard to pronounce chemicals" there, as well. There was a thread around here where someone did that, and broke down exactly what was in an apple, and other fruits and vegetables. Ahh, here it is, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/315770-definition-of-a-chemical they're scattered throughout that thread.

Also, artificial sweeteners like aspartame are honestly not too difficult for the body to break down, as it's made from 2 amino acids that the body already creates and breaks down on a constant basis.

Truthfully, the only thing your body has a *tough* time processing are certain fibers, heavy metals, large quantities of alcohol, and of course fats. Making wholesome meals at home from whole, raw ingredients is a convenient way to avoid nutritional blunders. I don't think it has much to do with the toxins in all that "unnatural" food though.

If I have a strawberry poptart, filled with artificially flavored jam, then I'm not getting REAL strawberry jam. That means I'm not getting any of the nutrients from the strawberries that you'd find in authentic jam. I don't really care if I just had 100mg of ethyl vanillin - for me, the issue is that I DIDNT get vitamin c, fiber, etc.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I would like to put my Gatorade under water but it has alot of sugar and salts and extra cals. If I constantly drank that every day opposed to water I would think this would be over doing it.
    Depends on your goals, doesn't it? If you don't have calories to spare....then drinking calorie-laden drinks won't help you out with weight loss, but guess what? It still hydrates you the same. You're diverting off topic.
    Right, there are two issues here. Some drinks need to be logged as food AND water. Nutritive drinks with protein, carbs, etc need to be logged at the top of the page and the bottom. Nothing sacrilegious about putting a drink in both places.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That's simply not true. Water hydrates you, no matter what temperature it is. Adding things to water doesn't make the water dehydrate you, if anything, it makes your body burn a few extra calories to separate the water from the other things while digesting.

Even when alcohol is added?

The alcohol itself dehydrates. Not the water the alcohol is in. But since alcohol is SO dehydrating, it counteracts the water.

This is not the case with sugar or flavoring or even small amounts of sodium.

The water is still water.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    That's simply not true. Water hydrates you, no matter what temperature it is. Adding things to water doesn't make the water dehydrate you, if anything, it makes your body burn a few extra calories to separate the water from the other things while digesting.

The alcohol itself dehydrates. Not the water the alcohol is in. But since alcohol is SO dehydrating, it counteracts the water.

You are right and you are wrong. Alcohol IS quite dehydrating per a given volume, but we don't drink very much of it. A 12oz beer has about a 1/2 oz of actual alcohol in it. That half ounce drives off less than 11.5 oz of fluid. Similar story with wine. So beer and wine, even spirits mixed into highballs are still hydrating overall.

That is not the case with straight, high-proof spirits, though. So one of the reasons you feel so bad after a night of doing shots is dehydration.
  • lamale
    Options
    This information is from the ehow. health:

Caffeine
    Caffeine undoubtedly closes the debate of tea versus water in the favor of H2O. While caffeine in moderation is not bad for you, there are studies that show overconsumption of caffeine can have negative effects on the body. Studies are not definite, but there are connections that suggest the substituting of caffeinated beverages such as tea for water results in a lack of fluids. When in doubt, drink one cup of tea along with one cup of water. Caffeine is present in black tea, and even decaffeinated black tea and green tea contain trace amounts.

Tea Benefits
    Herbal teas do not contain caffeine, and therefore have no negative effects on the body. Drinking an herbal tea will give you the exact benefit as drinking the same volume of water, yet with the added benefits of the herbs. There are many antioxidants (antioxidants help the body's immune system fight off free radicals) in green tea, black tea and herbal teas, which have added benefits that water lacks. So in benefits other than rehydration, tea stands above water.

Sugar
    While tea in itself is a wholesome substance, it is often a vulnerable vessel for lurking sugars and fats. If you add sugar, creams or sweeteners to your teas, whether black or herbal, you must keep in mind that you are consuming a calorie- and fat-containing beverage.

Teeth
    One inarguable advantage of drinking water over tea is that water helps maintain your teeth's appearance, while black teas and sugary herbals can stain and deposit sugar.

Water is Water
    Remember that water is water. If you are dehydrated, drinking a cup of tea or any other caffeinated beverage will rehydrate you even though there is caffeine in it. However, water, in the end, has no unpleasant side effects such as sugar, chemicals, staining agents or caffeine. So though tea has many benefits and is undoubtedly good for your body, water has zero negative aspects. If you are thirsty, drinking either tea or water will hydrate you, the only difference is the added effects of caffeine or sugar.

Read more: Is it Better to Drink Tea or Water? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5623687_better-drink-tea-water_.html#ixzz1eRiC48Ga
  • rml_16
    Options

You are right and you are wrong. Alcohol IS quite dehydrating per a given volume, but we don't drink very much of it. A 12oz beer has about a 1/2 oz of actual alcohol in it. That half ounce drives off less than 11.5 oz of fluid. Similar story with wine. So beer and wine, even spirits mixed into highballs are still hydrating overall.

That is not the case with straight, high-proof spirits, though. So one of the reasons you feel so bad after a night of doing shots is dehydration.

Considering your screen name, I bow to your knowledge. :-)

I'm not much of a drinker, anyway. I don't count alcoholic drinks in my fluid intake, but I count everything else. I still mostly drink plain water or water with lemon or cucumber in it because of the calories and I HATE artificial sweeteners. I do have some tea almost every day, though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This information is from the ehow. health:

Caffeine
    Caffeine undoubtedly closes the debate of tea versus water in the favor of H2O. While caffeine in moderation is not bad for you, there are studies that show overconsumption of caffeine can have negative effects on the body. Studies are not definite, but there are connections that suggest the substituting of caffeinated beverages such as tea for water results in a lack of fluids. When in doubt, drink one cup of tea along with one cup of water. Caffeine is present in black tea, and even decaffeinated black tea and green tea contain trace amounts.

You got that off the INTERNET?? Oooohhh, it must be true then.
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Personally, I drink water and weak, caffeinated tea (with or without a little lemon or lime) and count it all as water. For those of you who like it sweet but want to avoid artificial sweeteners, opt for Stevia - made from a very sweet leaf that requires so little to make something sweet it is virtually caloroie free. This was used by the Incas way back when. I have been using this for many years to sweeten beverages and make other recipes.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Personally, I drink water and weak, caffeinated tea (with or without a little lemon or lime) and count it all as water. For those of you who like it sweet but want to avoid artificial sweeteners, opt for Stevia - made from a very sweet leaf that requires so little to make something sweet it is virtually caloroie free. This was used by the Incas way back when. I have been using this for many years to sweeten beverages and make other recipes.

I absolutely despise the taste of Stevia. I use honey.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

You are right and you are wrong. Alcohol IS quite dehydrating per a given volume, but we don't drink very much of it. A 12oz beer has about a 1/2 oz of actual alcohol in it.

Pah! You drink ****ty beer!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

I absolutely despise the taste of Stevia. I use honey.

I'm with you! That stuff (in all it's forms) is just gross. I can really only do sugar, honey, or agave nectar. Date sugar is great too, but not in beverages. Just baking.