Green tea- what does it taste like?

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What on earth is Diet green tea?? Green Tea has appx 0 calories!

It's green tea that has been sweetened with artificial sweeteners. Unsweetened tea is not very tasty ya know, at least not to me.

Ahhhhh, gotcha :smile:

Try it out unsweetened. It might grow on you.

I'm gonna go get a cup of it now thanks to this thread.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

They take the yellow out to make it diet.... So it's actually Blue Tea

(Seriously, the "diet green tea" lid is Blue.)
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options

It's green tea that has been sweetened with artificial sweeteners. Unsweetened tea is not very tasty ya know, at least not to me.

Ahhhhh, gotcha :smile:

Try it out unsweetened. It might grow on you.

I'm gonna go get a cup of it now thanks to this thread.

To be fair, I am talking about cold tea, not the hot stuff. When I brew a cup of hot tea I use honey or Truvia.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    People often describe it as "grassy" in flavor... straight green does taste like that a bit, but I have actually really grown to like it a lot. And there are all kinds of blends you can get, Zen by Tazo being the best I've tasted, that mix green tea leaves with mints and lemongrasses and it is really good!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Of all the different kinds of teas I've tried, green tea seems to vary the most in taste. I really like the taste of most green teas, but know that different brands (and blends) vary wildly.

I suggest trying something mild to start out with, like Tazo's Zen green tea. (Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/7wve84x) That's a good blend. My absolute favorite is Ito En's Pure Green Tea. I drink that stuff cold/room temperature. (Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/872kl42) But that is fairly stout, and some people don't like that flavor.
  • Chuckw40
    Options

They take the yellow out to make it diet.... So it's actually Blue Tea

(Seriously, the "diet green tea" lid is Blue.)

That must be it :)

All I know is the stuff tastes fantastic!

Oh and btw, she mentioned sweet tea so I'm thinking she is talking about cold tea... at least I think so.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I buy flavoured green teas...the ones by Twinings are really good...my favourite at the moment is Apple & Pear, the Pomegranate one is good too. The plain green tea was just a little too bland for my liking :-))

Edit: I drink them plain...I've also found that if you leave the bag to stew for too long they taste pretty nasty, a couple of mins sat in mug does it just fine...or several squeezes of the bag if you can't be bothered to wait...like me most of the time lol!!
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love Green Tea. I usually get Arizona Green Tea with Honey and Ginseng or Lipton Citrus Green Tea. Both are tasty choices.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses!!! Looks like I will have to give it a try, but at least now I THINK I know what to expect when I take that first sip...lol...maybe! But I WILL give it a try! :drinker:
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    How did no one bring up the deliciousness of Constant Comment Green Tea? Or green Chai? Brb, boiling water.
  • 1FitBabe
    1FitBabe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love green tea. I whip up a batch in my iced tea maker and it is so good. I do not add anything to it.
  • petes58
    petes58 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of the stuff -- love it, especially Sencha, Genmatcha, gunpowder, and especially Gyokuro, simply the finest green tea there is. But I don't drink it for any "magic weight loss powers" because there aren't any. It's not bad for you, and it's likely not all that good for you, no more than coffee, but it tastes great if you like it. And as the others are saying, best to drink it plain without sweeteners and especially without artificial sweeteners which make you gain weight. But only drink it if you like it, because again, it's no magic bullet.
  • Beaverton_2015
    Options
    I like Arizona Green tea too, I really like the diet one. But when I make the tea at home I also use splenda. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice taste. It's up to the dieter. Bottom line is either you're willing to make sacrifices or you're not. (my opinion)
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think it has a grassy taste. Not bad, but it does take some getting used to. I usually take a 2-cup glass measuring cup, fill it with water, put one greet tea bag and one Constant Comment tea bag in it and heat in the microwave until boiling. Then I add a couple of packages of Splenda and about a tablespoon of lemon juice. This gives me about two cups of a very low-cal and fairly satisfying concoction. This may not be the purist's way, but it makes the taste of the green tea less pronounced and more drinkable to me.
  • crocodiles
    Options
    It depends on the type, but usually more earthy - if I'm honest, it tastes nothing at all like "regular" tea, it's more like a kind of hot, plant-y squash, if that makes sense? I drink mine plain and VERY weak, but I have a variety of flavours (plain, with jasmine, with apple and pear, with lemon and with cranberry) so I don't get bored :)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I grew up drinking it. Hard to describe. Green tea + white rice + furikaki sprinkes = awesome
  • Chuckw40
    Options
    I drink lots of the stuff -- love it, especially Sencha, Genmatcha, gunpowder, and especially Gyokuro, simply the finest green tea there is. But I don't drink it for any "magic weight loss powers" because there aren't any. It's not bad for you, and it's likely not all that good for you, no more than coffee, but it tastes great if you like it. And as the others are saying, best to drink it plain without sweeteners and especially without artificial sweeteners which make you gain weight. But only drink it if you like it, because again, it's no magic bullet.

I'm no expert but there appears to be alot of evidence that green tea does in fact have many benefits for your health. There is also some evidence that it does indeed help with weight loss.

I also don't think it has been proven that artificial sweeteners make you gain weight, though that is a hotly debated topic.
  • petes58
    petes58 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are studies that suggest green tea extracts may be associated with weight loss, but the key to understanding these studies is to know the difference between statistical significance and clinical significance. While the studies may show a small statistical significance -- suggesting that the effect is not due to chance, they only show a minuscule if any clinical significance. So yeah, you may loose weight, but not much at all, and probably not too noticeable.
  • Jelliefishie
    Jelliefishie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Regarding bitterness - the youth of the tea leaves determines the bitterness. The older it is before it's harvested, the more bitter! This is more for tea elitists, but if you get the chance to try grade 1 (Emperor Green Tea, like this one from Long Jing http://www.teaspring.com/Emperor-Long-Jing.asp ) or grade 2, you will find that its very sweet and light. No bitterness at all, it's almost like a different breed. It's almost like candy! Without the sugar.
  • Chuckw40
    Options
    There are studies that suggest green tea extracts may be associated with weight loss, but the key to understanding these studies is to know the difference between statistical significance and clinical significance. While the studies may show a small statistical significance -- suggesting that the effect is not due to chance, they only show a minuscule if any clinical significance. So yeah, you may loose weight, but not much at all, and probably not too noticeable.

Like i said, i'm no expert :)

What about the health claims?