Does your spouse know your passwords?

Options
When I was married I knew some of my ex-husbands passwords, but not all of them. I only knew the ones that he would randomly ask me to check for him.

It wasn't a big deal. I actually didn't care. But I see some couples that have to know every password that their significant other has. I personally like having something that is just for me. I never had anything to hide.

My question is, do you think its normal or bizarre to need to know them all? If you demand to know them, does that mean you question your partner and 'what they do behind closed doors'? and if so, why be with them if you can't trust them?

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    My wife and youngest daughter know all my banking and financial passwords.

They could figure out any of my "entertainment" sites, since they know the passwords I rotate.

Other than my work computer, this is the only site I get on at work and I rearely get on the computer at home.
  • rockyvernen
    Options
    I think its a trust issue !!! My fellings are if I can not trust you you are worthless . Trust is the base of any relationship . Bet this pisses some people off.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I think it's weird... I don't see why other half should know.

Occasionally have given one to him to check things for me like banking (entirely trust him) but have changed them too after to be extra secure.

I don't have anything to hide, nor should he but sometimes you have to have your personal space-it's the same with mail. I wouldn't want anybody else opening it. It's addressed to me, and e-mail etc is just like a phonecall and sometimes you need to just moan about the other half in private... unfortunately with e-mail I guess its there written down... and never goes away really even if you delete it!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    She has them all. I leave my home Pc logged in and on all the time.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Occasionally we've used each others and both are too lazy to change them afterwards. I don't bother going on his sites and I assume he wouldn't bother with mine (if he can't be bothered to look on his own facebook I can't see he'd go in mine!)
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I know most of my husband's passwords and he doesn't really know any of mine :P Mostly because he had to change his recently so he changed them to one that we share on things such as online banking.

Some people get weirded out that I can read his emails and stuff but he really doesn't care. It's not a trust thing at all, I know he isn't hiding anything (if I had trust issues we never would have survived 2 years ultra long distance - Australia/UK). I just like to have a nose through his email from time to time which is mostly boring work stuff - IT stuff that I don't understand but still I like to look. Couldn't really tell you why :P
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Happily single but 1 rule in my house is passwords are known to me...but then thats my kids (14-20)

I wouldn't demand to know a spouses but if they were deliberately secretive I'd be a tad suspicious....I did know all my ex boyfriends passwords but thats because he gave me his bank passwords and secret answers to check his account and he was a creature of habit, one password fits all, doubt he's changed them even now.
  • sailin4her
    sailin4her Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I dont think it is a healthy relationship if we have to know each others passwords. We both trust each other and I think by having passwords we are not allowing our spouse any breathing room. Freedom is key they have to have their freedom and we have to have ours. If I didnt trust her I would not have married her. There for if she were to ask for it I would give it to her I have nthing to hide and neither does she :)
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I set up my OH's email accounts LOL!

He doesn't know mine but could probably guess (or guess closely enough but maybe not get the exact passwords)

My work passwords change every few months
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    No but I'd give them if needed. He knows my bank card pin code, though!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't know all my passwords but all he would have to do is ask and I would give them to him. He doesn't ask because he trusts me. And I wouldn't care if he asked either... because I have nothing to hide.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't know all my passwords but all he would have to do is ask and I would give them to him. He doesn't ask because he trusts me. And I wouldn't care if he asked either... because I have nothing to hide.

Yep. What she said.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    my husband knows most of mine,and i know most his ( mainly because he has a memory like a sieve,and asks me to remind him what they are)

trust is important, we have been together 30 years!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    more or less yes on most things, for convenience.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I know some of my husband's passwords, just because I've been online and he's asked me to check something for him. I don't usually remember them, so I have to ask for them again. I try to tell him mine, just in case he needs them for emergencies.. but he can barely remember his own, so the chances of him retaining mine. Slim to none! We trust each other and don't feel the need to check up on each other.. but every so often we'll joke around, if I get online and he's left his email up I'll ask in my fake jealous voice... "Oh yea.. who's ____"? But we know it's just a joke.. his favorite is to act all offended and say.. "Oh yea.. who's Facebook and why is he sending you all these notifications"?!?!?! HA.. the excitment of married life when you have two young kids. :laugh: :heart:
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    no, he doesn't care.
  • Lozzielol
    Options
    I know some of my partners, and he knows some of mine. He doesnt know my bank one, and I dont know his, but for emails and websites etc we do know them. We're both creatures of habit and rotate a few passwords for various things. I trust him and he trusts me, I dont check on his stuff and he doesnt look at mine because we respect eachother's privacy. Sometimes if we order food online or something he'll log on with my login because he doesnt have his own, or I'll ask him to check something for me (vice versa).

If things go sour, I'd simply change the passwords like I did when I had a less than friendly split from my last partner.

It's no big deal in my house :)
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have my computer and she has hers. We share passwords when needed, but mostly we use two machines for convenince and for personal preferences. Most of her passwords are a pet's name and either a 1 or 2 after it. My standard password is the VIN to one of my cars...its alpha-numeric, super-secure, and easy for me to remember because I know how its decoded for that car. She can never remember it though and even when I wrote it down for her it got lost.
  • Prozack1964
    Options
    I have found that people that think they need to know everything like that normaly are the ones that have stuff to hide.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I know some of my husbands passwords to things that we both may need to log on for...but he usually is the one to access the account/site.

He doesn't know any of my passwords. He's never asked. I dont' know his.

He does know though what I usually use so he could probably figure it out if he wanted to. But he has no need to go on my accounts nor really cares.