What is a cheat day?

Options
13»

Replies

• Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from the shakes, I dont do well with them, but good advice for someone else lol.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    oo there are some really good ones mmm.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to be having a treat, I try to workout before, so I have calories saved up to cover it. I do this a lot, except the last few days where I've been eating sweets and not exercising, but still not more than 200 calories over, and I try to overestimate amounts a little, just to make sure I don't really go nuts and eat the whole fridge.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from the shakes, I dont do well with them, but good advice for someone else lol.

Not sure if you can do nut butters - but they'll help too. You could put them on apples or whatever... :) They're quick, easy snacks that pack a bit of a calorie punch. (I know 2 tablespoons of peanut butter - if you can have it - has like 180 calories. Put that on an apple and that's like 270 calories (depending on the size of the apple, I suppose). :)
  • 2sexy2bunhealthy
    2sexy2bunhealthy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ilove my cheat days... when ive had a good week. makes me work harder just to have that bad but sooo delicious meal that weekend. i still lose weight fine & TRY not to over do it but FAIL everytime lol but ive never gained weight from a bad meal or two.. over the weekend.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

Not sure if you can do nut butters - but they'll help too. You could put them on apples or whatever... :) They're quick, easy snacks that pack a bit of a calorie punch. (I know 2 tablespoons of peanut butter - if you can have it - has like 180 calories. Put that on an apple and that's like 270 calories (depending on the size of the apple, I suppose). :)

Yeah if you read my food logs there is a high ratio of pbj to jelly and lo cal bread. I want to venture out into Almond or Cashew butter as well,
  • chevy88grl
    Options

Yeah if you read my food logs there is a high ratio of pbj to jelly and lo cal bread. I want to venture out into Almond or Cashew butter as well,

I admit that I don't tend to read food diaries unless someone asks me to read theirs. I've gotten crap about my food diary, so I tend to just leave people alone. ;)

Almond butter is YUMMY. I prefer it over peanut butter.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are for people who aren't 100% dedicated and need to have something for an excuse.. In my opinion.

If a person didn't have an issue with eating badly/eating too much and/or not working out, then they wouldn't be here needing to lose weight. Good luck with depriving yourself of everything you've ever loved eating for the rest of your life and not slipping and gaining it all back.

Real life involves birthdays and holidays, celebrations and the need for a quick (but not always healthy) bite. A lifestyle change is learning how to still live your life and make it enjoyable but making smarter choices most of the time and being accountable for your actions. Maybe after a year or two of forcing yourself to live up to unrealistic expectations you'll be a little less judgmental toward people who give themselves cheat days when need be,

Who said I deprive myself? Moderation. I can eat something ****ty for me and stay within my calories and not call it cheating.

Woof, woof! I'm a prick. Who knew? ;)

For me personally, the mere act of logging my food (counting each bite of food, weighing it, calculating every bite to make sure a damn apple won't put me over) is the thing I need a break from the most. My first time here I lost 50 pounds, so I guess my cheat days didn't mean I wasn't that "dedicated"..

To the OP, my cheat days mean a few different things. It could mean I still eat healthy and watch my portions but I don't log my food. Like I said, sometimes logging makes me feel really restricted so not logging for a day or two is a lifesaver. Other days a cheat day means eating something that isn't good for me, like McDonalds or a potluck at work.

I wouldn't really consider a day of not working out to be cheat day since you really shouldn't work out every single day, those are rest days to let your body and muscles rest and repair itself. Unless of course your specifically not working out when you should because you just don't feel like it, then I guess it would be a cheat day.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    Cheat days are for people who aren't 100% dedicated and need to have something for an excuse.. In my opinion.

If a person didn't have an issue with eating badly/eating too much and/or not working out, then they wouldn't be here needing to lose weight. Good luck with depriving yourself of everything you've ever loved eating for the rest of your life and not slipping and gaining it all back.

Real life involves birthdays and holidays, celebrations and the need for a quick (but not always healthy) bite. A lifestyle change is learning how to still live your life and make it enjoyable but making smarter choices most of the time and being accountable for your actions. Maybe after a year or two of forcing yourself to live up to unrealistic expectations you'll be a little less judgmental toward people who give themselves cheat days when need be,

Who said I deprive myself? Moderation. I can eat something ****ty for me and stay within my calories and not call it cheating.

Woof, woof! I'm a prick. Who knew? ;)

For me personally, the mere act of logging my food (counting each bite of food, weighing it, calculating every bite to make sure a damn apple won't put me over) is the thing I need a break from the most. My first time here I lost 50 pounds, so I guess my cheat days didn't mean I wasn't that "dedicated"..

To the OP, my cheat days mean a few different things. It could mean I still eat healthy and watch my portions but I don't log my food. Like I said, sometimes logging makes me feel really restricted so not logging for a day or two is a lifesaver. Other days a cheat day means eating something that isn't good for me, like McDonalds or a potluck at work.

I wouldn't really consider a day of not working out to be cheat day since you really shouldn't work out every single day, those are rest days to let your body and muscles rest and repair itself. Unless of course your specifically not working out when you should because you just don't feel like it, then I guess it would be a cheat day.

For me, logging becomes a tedious, boring, obsessive thing. I lost the majority of my weight NOT counting calories, tracking calories burned during exercise, etc. So, there are times when I simply stop logging for awhile. If I feel like I'm starting to slip off the path - then I'll log again until I start to feel smothered by it. Then I quit again.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Opinions, opinions.

QUOTE:

I am dedicated, but I feel if I work my A off all week that I am allowed a cheat meal on a weekly basis. Everything should come with a reward. Plus, when I have days where I have calorie deficits nearing 1000 due to exercise, there is no way possible to feel bad about that. Remember before you judge, everyone's weight loss journey is different and what works for one may not work for someone else. That said, the cheat meal has not interfered with losing weight.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There should be a like button for amymeenieminym's response!
  • KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

EDIT: I don't take that back one bit. I eat junky things in moderation and account for them in my calories. I don't deprive myself of ANYTHING so everyone can stop assuming that. You know what happens when you assume, right? ;)

Looks to me like you have cheat days too, you just don't call them cheat days.....
  • MyFriendLinn
    MyFriendLinn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Everyone goes off of their meal plan and lifestyle change but I certainly don't PLAN to. Cheat days I guess work for some people but while on occassion I do go over on days, I don't plan to cheat.

But this is your journey and how you travel it is up to you.

Some of you have mentioned portions. A closed fist is a cup of food, the open palm of your hand is 1 serving of meat (no fingers-just the palm) and the tip of your thumb is 1tsp.

I support you on your healthy weight loss journey, and would ask in closing, who are you cheating? Only yourself.

Find non food related rewards, Best of luck. Linn
  • KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Everyone goes off of their meal plan and lifestyle change but I certainly don't PLAN to. Cheat days I guess work for some people but while on occassion I do go over on days, I don't plan to cheat.

Some of you have mentioned portions. A closed fist is a cup of food, the open palm of your hand is 1 serving of meat (no fingers-just the palm) and the tip of your thumb is 1tsp.

I support you on your healthy weight loss journey, and would ask in closing, who are you cheating? Only yourself.

Well said!
  • chevy88grl
    Options

EDIT: I don't take that back one bit. I eat junky things in moderation and account for them in my calories. I don't deprive myself of ANYTHING so everyone can stop assuming that. You know what happens when you assume, right? ;)

Looks to me like you have cheat days too, you just don't call them cheat days.....

I think a lot of people try and get away from the word "cheat" because it has a very negative feeling to it. Let's face it -- "cheating" (no matter the situation in which you 're doing it) isn't a positive thing.

I've tried all or nothing (didn't work), I've tried having "cheat meals" or "cheat days" (I didn't like it because it felt too much like dieting) and I've tried everything in moderation (and found that it works for ME). To each their own.
  • chevy88grl
    Options

I measure out my food - well, I used to.. I've gotten really good at recognizing what is 1 cup of rice or 2/3 cup of peas or whatever. If a package says serving size is 1oz and there are 8 servings, I will take them ALL out of the package and divide them into 8 equal servings. It may not be exact, but it is close enough for me. I've never had a food scale and don't ever plan to buy one.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I never called it cheating. I called it living. :smile:

For the most part, I eat what I love and love what I eat, so I don't ever feel a need to go on some chocolate or pizza binge. But I do like eating without caring about exact portions or calories or whether I'm hitting my macros. If I'm at a party with friends, I don't want to always count out how many pretzels equals one serving, measure an exact tablespoon of veggie dip, or just in general keep track of exactly how much I eat or drink so I can log it in my food diary.

I've been eating whatever I wanted without logging food on weekends since June. That doesn't mean I'm binging all weekend. Sometimes, I do. Mostly, I don't.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options

It's not a cheat day. It's a spike day. I have to eat at least 4000 calories that day. That's not cheating. You try it, it's really not very fun. You feel like **** for 2 days.
  • operationfatbastard
    Options
    Thankyou for that info, I have a cheat day once a week but it always blows out to a binge and I feel so disgusting I could literally ROLL into bed after wards.... As soon as one piece of sugar passes my lips its all over.....

Thankyou for stating your calorie allowance on this day, I never knew if mine was too much or not enough, (turns out its too much!).... As a test this week I was going to try no sugar (as that causes the binge) but allow myself my favourite pasta dish garlic bread etc and see if I feel satisfied without losing control....

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?