Need Ideas For Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I love my oatmeal (steel cut) with a bit of olive oil, some shredded cheddar cheese, cracked pepper and a poached egg (or two!). Delicious and very filling!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I WANT to like oatmeal. For me it's too mushy. Should I keep trying and add nuts or something else? Ideas are appreciated :)
    Try steel cut oats. It has a much heartier texture than rolled oats. (Rolled oats are simply the smashed down, flat oats; also known as "old fashioned" oatmeal).
  • re08scue
    re08scue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love my oatmeal (steel cut) with a bit of olive oil, some shredded cheddar cheese, cracked pepper and a poached egg (or two!). Delicious and very filling!

Interesting combination!
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Tsp of Nutella-- tastes like a no-bake cookie. It's got quite a bit of sugar in it though,which is why I only use a tsp.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I opt for Quick Oats (because I have about 5 minutes in the morning for breakfast) I usually put it in a microwave safe bowl and add water. Cook it for 2 minutes in the microwave. Then add banana, stevia, chopped walnuts... YUM!

I have to agree... interesting combination with the cheddar cheese.... I would add that to grits.. not oatmeal LOL
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If oatmeal is too mush, then try steel cut oats. They take forever to cook, but they aren't mushy. I boil water and mix the oatmeal and water in a mason jar overnight. When I wake up in the morning, it's ready to eat after 30 seconds in the microwave to reheat.

totally agree! i only eat steel cut oats...completely different texture...and i do the exact same thing. i use my hot water kettle, throw the oats in a mason jar, add a bit of salt, and pour in the water. screw on the lid and they are ready in the morning. = ) i also eat mine at room temp sometimes, like a cold cereal.

extras- usually honey and milk (and walnuts), sometimes greek yogurt and berries, or apple/cinnamon/raisin

whole foods sells steel cut oats in the bulk cereal bins pretty cheap. = )
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I like to eat oatmeal raw, like cold cereal, with almond milk and cinnamon.
  • jyork5407
    Options
    Bumping because I'll never remember all these and want to try them all!
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I like to mix my oatmeal with 2tbsp. pumpkin puree (plain pumpkin, *not* pumpkin-pie filling), a tsp. Splenda Brown Sugar blend, and a dash of pumpkin pie spice.

I do the same thing to 2% greek yogurt, nom!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

This sounds great!! I can't wait to try it!!
  • re08scue
    re08scue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Tsp of Nutella-- tastes like a no-bake cookie. It's got quite a bit of sugar in it though,which is why I only use a tsp.

I found a recipe for homemade nutella - without sugar!

Homemade Nutella
    Yields ~2.5 cups
    * 2 cups hazelnuts without skin (300 g)
    * 1/4 C cacao powder (30 g)
    * 5-6 T vanilla protein powder (25-30 g)*
    * 2 T coconut oil, warmed if necessary

Requires: food processor

Lightly toast hazelnuts in the oven (8-10 mins at 180C/350F) and let cool a little. Throw in food processor and process to a smooth butter. Now, add in cacao powder and vanilla protein powder, use 5 or 6 T according to preferred sweetness. At last, drizzle in 2 T coconut oil with the motor running for a super smooth consistency. I let my processor run quite long for a super smooth result.

As you can see the ingredient list is super short and made up of wholesome ingredients. Vanilla protein powder (*I use raw, vegan protein powder which is fermented instead of processed) instead of white, refined sugar, and extra virgin coconut oil instead of hydrogenated palm oil (yuk). The main ingredient of this beauty is what it should be: hazelnuts!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Definitely plenty of spices - I usually use about a tsp of Mixed Spice per bowl - and maybe dried fruit? I've used dried apricots and dried cherries very successfully. I also prefer to make my porridge with proper jumbo rolled oats, rather than fine milled oats, and use the microwave and water instead of milk - I find it gives a less glutinous texture, which I can't stand.
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    I mix yogurt (peach or vanilla) in with it. Just one of the small cups. (Like "0 Source")
  • jojo1371
    jojo1371 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I found this great blog with tons of different oatmeal ideas and they each look so delicious!

http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal
  • WIN110
    Options
    I loove making my oatmeal with unsweetened soy milk. It give it a different taste and it's more filling. Another thing I do often (which will probably sound really weird and nasty) is to make oatmeal and mix an egg in with it, with a little bit of salt and pepper. It's like a healthy savory breakfast and I LOOVE it. :)
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I enjoy pumpkin puree, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice mixed in. OR banana and walnuts. YUMMY!
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've read that baked oatmeal is firm and can be cut into wedges and eaten like a granola bar- there was a baked pumpkin oatmeal recipe in the recipe section that I plan to try... you can find it with the search option.... I eat old-fashioned oats with peanut butter and mini dark chocolate chips- yummy and filling. HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
  • ssieben
    ssieben Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like to put cinnamon and a packet of splenda in my 1/4 cup of oatmeal with 1/2 cup of water. Microwave. When it comes out i put a splash of soy milk and then 1TBS of SMUCKERS SUGAR FREE STRAWBERRY JAM. Delicousness! I crave it every morning!
  • bankstisha
    bankstisha Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, 2 packets of splenda and low sugar applesauce added to oatmeal, tastes like apple pie! yummo! got the recipe from another pal member and love it love it love it!

I also like cinnamon and berries in my oatmeal
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I put butter, heavy whipping cream, and brown sugar in my old-fashioned oats. Nom!