Is breakfast REALLY that important

Options
I skipped breakfast this morning - I knew I was going out for lunch and wanted to 'save' calories for the occasion.

I told a friend this and he said breakfast is the most important meal and you shouldn't skip it. It boosts your metabolism and good for weight loss etc. etc.

I did some googling and most sites seemed to confirm this... but just wondering what your thoughts were on breakfast.

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    For me, it's good so I don't overeat later. If I'm not hungry by lunch time because I ate a good breakfast and snack then I will eat better at lunch otherwise I'll eat whatever I can find and that's no good :)
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, no. I sometimes go without, but usually do eat breakfast. Then again, I'm one of those people that snack on things all day long, so breakfast might mean anything/ everything I eat from 7AM to noon+.

If you're hungry in the morning, eat. :smile:

*and if it's bacon and eggs, eat. :wink:
  • newarkco05
    Options
    If I am not hungry, I won't eat. However, I will make sure to reevaluate my hunger 1-2 hours later and eat something. Most of the time I will eat a small breakfast such as a piece of toast & PB or something. I think it does keep me from over eating later or eating things such as donuts and other pastries. I had also noticed if I go out to eat when I'm starving I am more lately to get things like Chicken Tenders and Fries so I try to keep my hunger in check.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If I eat a protein heavy breakfast it really impacts my day, very little snacking the rest of the day. On days I just eat cereal or oatmeal I usually end up being snacky.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Before I saw a nutritionalist who told me about this site, I never used to eat breakfast except when I was on vacation. Now since MFP, I never skip it.....

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I didn't use to eat breakfast, but now I do, because my metabolism was absolutely slow as molasses. Big difference. I try to eat more protein at breakfast, because I don't get as hungry later as I do when I eat carbs. So I'm talking about 3 pieces of turkey bacon, or jerky, and maybe some oatmeal.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think its important you body is like a fire. If you don't feed it...it won't burn. If your skipping meals your body will store more so that it has fuel for later uses. When you are trying to lose weight you don't want your body storing
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I rarely skip breakfast, partly because I have read the same things that you have. But I have to admit that, when I do skip breakfast, I am usually not hungry till lunchtime. When I do eat breakfast, I am often hungry for a snack by 10 am. So I do wonder if I am really doing myself a big favor by not skipping breakfast.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The answer to the question - I think it is important to clarify when you eat breakfast? Your glycogen storages has about 1200 calories for you to use. when you wake up, and some people advocate that you spend some of the calories to utilize the process of gluconeogenisis. (look up that word and see what it mean :-) ) it should not be done every day for a variety of reasons.

Breakfast is important and I would not recommend doing what some of you are doing on a regular basis - given the physiology.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If you usually eat breakfast and just skipped it this one time, I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine. :)

I've no idea what the actual science says about eating breakfast and its effects on the metabolism - but as long as you keep eating at a caloric deficit, you should lose weight, regardless of when your calories are consumed. I wouldn't worry too much!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I only eat breakfast on the days I work.

On my days off I tend to work out and just have something small like a Lunabar and some coffee, so I can save a bulk of my calories for lunch or dinner.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    It's good! It's DEFINITELY helped me! Breakfast is my fav meal! :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It is really a myth that it boosts your metabolism. It doesn't matter when you get your calories (barring medical issues). If you want to eat it, eat it, if you don't feel like it then don't. :)
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast when i want to save the calories..... I do not see a reaction good or bad...
  • smileteddy
    smileteddy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to eat breakfast, but it needs to be nutritious...(I ate black forest cake for breakfast today, so that can't be good)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I think its important you body is like a fire. If you don't feed it...it won't burn. If your skipping meals your body will store more so that it has fuel for later uses. When you are trying to lose weight you don't want your body storing

False. Your body doesn't work that way

There is no metabolic advantage with eating breakfast. You can skip it everyday and not hurt your progress.
    Meal timing is irrelevant
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Interesting guys thanks
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

False. Your body doesn't work that way

There is no metabolic advantage with eating breakfast. You can skip it everyday and not hurt your progress.
    Meal timing is irrelevant

Took away what i was going to say sunshine!

....yup, pretty much that! I never, ever eat breakfast, and It's done me no harm at all. All eating breakfast may do is stave off cravings or hunger pangs later. If you don't get, or can control, those then breakfast is just a waste of calories you could have later when you really wanted them!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with your friend.
    And even if it weren't true, I have to have breakfast within an hour of waking up or I become dizzy, sweaty and sometimes pass out :)